Random Framedrop in Certian spots
I am running on a laptop which probably isn't good, it has an AMD A8 3500M with an ATI Radeon HD 6620G chip. At fist I didn't even think the games would run, but I attempted to play Kingdom Hearts and it runs fine, the frame rate usually stays between 56-60fps but on cutscenes with the one character in them it crashes down to 19/20 fps. I have no idea why it does this. So I tried playing Harvest Moon a Wonderful Life and the emulator states its running at a smooth 60fps, but it doesn't look anywhere near 60 fps.

I am running the direct X 11 hardware, it seemed like it was working better than direct X 9 hardware.

So is this just my computers fault for being garbage? Or is there a real issue here that i just don't know how to fix?

Thanks in advance for any information, help, or advice given.

Sponsored links

depends if you are using speedhacks or not.
they tend to fake fps counter.

What do the ee% & gs% say when you get slowdowns ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(01-09-2013, 04:36 AM)jesalvein Wrote: depends if you are using speedhacks or not.
they tend to fake fps counter.

What do the ee% & gs% say when you get slowdowns ?

Yes I am using some speed hacks, I have the recommended ones turned on and MTUV and one notch of VU Cycle Stealing.

edit missed the second part

EE is sitting between 60-87 depending on what im doing when im not getting slowdowns, GS is at 20-40

with the slowdowns EE goes to around 30 and GS drops to 10, still only on scenes with the one character on screen, if hes not there, theres no slowdown
is that a laptop ?
did you set power plan to high performance ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(01-09-2013, 04:50 AM)jesalvein Wrote: is that a laptop ?
did you set power plan to high performance ?

Its ALWAYS high performance and plugged in.
The speedhacks (mainly the VU cycle stealing in this case) may present a kind of lag even when the FPS is indeed increased. But your report indicates it is a real case of FPS drop and is not unexpected if the machine can't compute what's needed in due time, some circumstances or places in a game are more demanding than others, that's common even in native PC games.

While in most PC games the bulk of processing is put on the GPU, in the emulation the CPU is always stressed and the GPU becomes more important to fancy things like up scaling and such. To know what is the bottleneck you must observe the values returned as percent usage of EE and GS, if EE is nearing 100% the CPU is the main culprit, if is GS being overloaded, then you lack graphic power... if both... well, then the machine is not up to the task without the FPS falling.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(01-09-2013, 05:34 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: The speedhacks (mainly the VU cycle stealing in this case) may present a kind of lag even when the FPS is indeed increased. But your report indicates it is a real case of FPS drop and is not unexpected if the machine can't compute what's needed in due time, some circumstances or places in a game are more demanding than others, that's common even in native PC games.

While in most PC games the bulk of processing is put on the GPU, in the emulation the CPU is always stressed and the GPU becomes more important to fancy things like up scaling and such. To know what is the bottleneck you must observe the values returned as percent usage of EE and GS, if EE is nearing 100% the CPU is the main culprit, if is GS being overloaded, then you lack graphic power... if both... well, then the machine is not up to the task without the FPS fallout.

I see, thanks for all the into. It looks like its my CPU thats the problem then since I saw my EE going extremely high a few times. Guess I'll just have to wait until a better computer comes into my hands. Thanks a lot! Wacko
(01-09-2013, 05:37 AM)kkiikki Wrote: I see, thanks for all the into. It looks like its my CPU thats the problem then since I saw my EE going extremely high a few times. Guess I'll just have to wait until a better computer comes into my hands. Thanks a lot! Wacko

You still can try increasing EE cyclerate for it will be the one alleviating the CPU more, just be aware it will be reducing the virtual speed expected on the actual EE CPU and in excess may harm the internal timings leading to strange things, the most common symptom being sound losing sync and things seeming to happen out of place.

Don't be afraid to try.
(01-09-2013, 05:42 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: You still can try increasing EE cyclerate for it will be the one alleviating the CPU more, just be aware it will be reducing the virtual speed expected on the actual EE CPU and in excess may harm the internal timings leading to strange things, the most common symptom being sound losing sync and things seeming to happen out of place.

Don't be afraid to try.

Well I did what you said, but my EE still almost hits 100, thats when its running smooth, its drops to 40% in one spot and thats when I go to 19/20 fps.
(01-09-2013, 06:09 AM)kkiikki Wrote: Well I did what you said, but my EE still almost hits 100, thats when its running smooth, its drops to 40% in one spot and thats when I go to 19/20 fps.

The only thing I can think could help now is activating the frameskip at the GS page, that's something to be attempted when everything else wasn't enough. If still fails... the machine is not really up to play that game, sorry.

Try different combinations, like play 4 frames skip one, play 3 skip one and so on.