Ratchet & Clank
Hey there, I know this has been asked alot (I've searched), but Ratchet and Clank games all run very slowly, except for Size Matters, which I can get to run nearly flawlessly.

I know from reading other threads that some of you can get Ratchet and Clank up to a playable FPS, but I can't get through Veldin because its so low.

I'm using the 0.9.9 SVN version, with every speedhack enabled except for Fast CD, with EE Cyclerate set to 3, and VU Cyclestealing also set to 3. This seems to provide me with the best I've been able to get, which is an average FPS of 20, though dipping lower to 10, and in smaller areas, rising as high as 35.

My CPU is AMD Athlon XII 260, 3.2GHz, I have an ATI 6950 HD Graphics card, and 4GB of RAM. I'm running with DX11 Hardware mode, at 4x Native scaling, 8Bit Textures on, Texture filtering checked, and the rest at default (Except for audio, which I've changed to Asynch, as it provides a better sound quality for these games.)

So, anyone got any other ideas for picking up the FPS, or will it pick up if I get off Veldin?

Sponsored links

Sounds like a bitcoin mining rig, judging by the performance gap between the CPU and GPU. Anyways, there sadly is nothing you can really do, except upgrade to a better cpu, or overclock that one to about 4Ghz if you can. The one I use for pcsx is a phenom x4 975 at 4.3Ghz, and it plays these games at 60fps. (Or 50 for PAL games)
also speedhack are unfrto this game cuz i have it but set ee cycle rate 1
VU Cyclestealing 1 and that is the most accurate emulation can get for speed for that game but frameskip works very well with that game

Hoped this helped
Appreciate the replies, but I managed to work out a higher FPS by switching from Blend to Weave, something I hadn't tried before, and it definitely kicked it up to a much better level.

Still looks pretty good too.
(07-09-2012, 02:08 AM)Demonhero Wrote: Appreciate the replies, but I managed to work out a higher FPS by switching from Blend to Weave, something I hadn't tried before, and it definitely kicked it up to a much better level.

Still looks pretty good too.

Great to hear but try setting intelacing to none that might help even more and might get rid of weave and blending affects
(07-08-2012, 10:49 PM)Demonhero Wrote: ...
I'm using the 0.9.9 SVN version, with every speedhack enabled except for Fast CD, with EE Cyclerate set to 3, and VU Cyclestealing also set to 3. This seems to provide me with the best I've been able to get, which is an average FPS of 20, though dipping lower to 10, and in smaller areas, rising as high as 35.

already tried less agressive speedhacks settings? especially vu cycle stealing is known for slowing down games and false fps readings if set too high, iirc.
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403
(07-09-2012, 09:25 AM)EmucraZ Wrote: Great to hear but try setting intelacing to none that might help even more and might get rid of weave and blending affects
Something to keep in mind. Right now I'm trying to get rid of the garbage textures without resorting to software mode, something I managed to do by enabling a few hacks, but tweaking the setting caused another FPS plummet, and in correcting THAT, I got the garbage textures back again.
(07-09-2012, 01:10 PM)zero29 Wrote: already tried less agressive speedhacks settings? especially vu cycle stealing is known for slowing down games and false fps readings if set too high, iirc.

Yes indeed, those are the first things I tweak with to try and pick up my FPS, a good cocktail seems to be having everything except Fast CD and MTVU on, with EE set to 1 or 2, and VU to 1 or 2 as well.

On the note of the garbage textures, has anyone managed to clean those up without switching to software mode?
the mtvu hack seems to be a mixed bag on dual core cpus, it starts to shine on triple/quad cores. no idea about the garbage textures, though. might try posting a screen of it, perhaps someone recognizes the kind of glitch you experiencing.
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403
(07-09-2012, 08:23 PM)zero29 Wrote: the mtvu hack seems to be a mixed bag on dual core cpus, it starts to shine on triple/quad cores. no idea about the garbage textures, though. might try posting a screen of it, perhaps someone recognizes the kind of glitch you experiencing.

The garbage textures are a common issue with hardware mode. GSdx doesn't support Mip-mapping, which is required for almost every texture in this game.

I still don't quite understand why Size Matters is easy to max out, but the others in the series are so much more demanding. Possibly because the game also came out for the PSP, and thus uses less of the PS2's hardware.