Ratchet and Clank Processor STP
This has probably been asked a few times in the past, but I thought I'd ask again to get fresh responses. 
Ratchet and Clank runs like absolute ass for me. In some places I'll get 100% speed, which will quickly dip down to 80-90% in other places.

Afterburner says that at the points of slowdown, my GPU utilisation is around 20% and my average CPU utilisation is around 50%. 
It's confusing, because I thought FPS drops only happened when either usages were at 100%. What's even more confusing is that other games run perfectly but with the same utilisations.

So, what STP ratings would gain good performance on this game? More simply, what processors will make this game run well? I have an i5 4460 if that matters.
Or is the poor performance of this game merely down to the emulator? I can play everything else perfectly as stated...

Thanks.
Intel i5 4460 @ 3.20 GHz,
GTX 1050 Ti,
8GB RAM,
And some other gubbins that make things work.

Sponsored links

Even when the game runs at 100%, there are still plenty of internal slowdowns, the game utilization of the PS2 isn't that great to be honest. The game probably starves the VUs constantly as it's pretty EE bottlenecked. That's just my guess.
(01-01-2018, 11:27 PM)CK1 Wrote: Even when the game runs at 100%, there are still plenty of internal slowdowns, the game utilization of the PS2 isn't that great to be honest. The game probably starves the VUs constantly as it's pretty EE bottlenecked. That's just my guess.

Thankfully it's not hardware related. Unfortunately, from what I gather, the emulator would need a bit more work to make this game run well.
I guess it'd be quicker and simpler to buy new hardware to make it run better. But then again, I'm not made of money... Laugh
GTX 1050 Ti,
8GB RAM,
it happens to me too with my kaby lake...this is more like the same CPU load scanario as MGS2 and MGS3....
*almost forgot R&C and MGS2 is running at Vmax(real-time) type FPS...that could give a hint why it needs heavy CPU loads...
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
(01-01-2018, 11:39 PM)Kian Stevens Wrote: Thankfully it's not hardware related. Unfortunately, from what I gather, the emulator would need a bit more work to make this game run well.
I guess it'd be quicker and simpler to buy new hardware to make it run better. But then again, I'm not made of money... Laugh

The EE still has plenty of timing issues in a boatload of games, so performance improvements in the future are still possible.
(01-02-2018, 12:42 AM)CK1 Wrote: The EE still has plenty of timing issues in a boatload of games, so performance improvements in the future are still possible.

I will note though, this game has issues with long distance rendering, since textures from afar render quite poorly. One big example are the cliff faces on Planet Eudora, which warp and twist from afar and go back to normal when you're stood next to them. Other textures do this too of course.

I didn't know it was to do with timing issues (in all honesty I don't know what they are Laugh) but I do think this game works your processor a lot - not so much the GPU though.
If this game ever got better optimised, it has the potential to look really nice at higher resolutions in my opinion, since it doesn't seem to be very GPU intensive...
GTX 1050 Ti,
8GB RAM,
Yeah, update. Just been playing for 10 minutes on 8x native, and it gave the same FPS as on 2x native. Doesn't seem to be that heavy on the 1050 Ti.
Looks even better than the PS3 HD collection!
GTX 1050 Ti,
8GB RAM,
Have you enabled MTVU? If CPU usage is around 50% on a quad core i5, that means only two cores are being maxed, which makes me think MTVU is off, and that helps Ratchet and Clank a fair amount.
(01-02-2018, 01:42 AM)pandubz Wrote: Have you enabled MTVU? If CPU usage is around 50% on a quad core i5, that means only two cores are being maxed, which makes me think MTVU is off, and that helps Ratchet and Clank a fair amount.

Yes mate, MTVU is on. The 50% CPU usage is just an average from all 4 cores' usage.

I've found that setting the EE Cyclerate to -1 helps with speed (I have a feeling it's a false FPS reading though), as it stops the music from slowing down and it stops the game from 'feeling' like it's slowing down too. However, it replaces the lag with stutter, which is more bearable but is still annoying every 2 seconds Laugh
GTX 1050 Ti,
8GB RAM,
I have the same problem too. I optimized my settings, but at places it's still a bit laggy
Windows 10 64-bit
8 GB RAM
AMD FX™-8320 Eight-core 3.5 GHz
pcsx2 1.5.0
AMD R9 200 2GB
AMD Cross Fire X

I am a big fan of Ratchet and Clank :-)