Raw Danger post processing
Hello! I was wondering if Raw Danger's post processing will ever be added into HW mode too someday? Since even PS3 version has it disabled, I'm guessing not, but maybe there's a chance for it to happen in the future?

By the way, I recently noticed that the same exact post processing problem is also present in Pachipara 14, the other IREM game

Sponsored links

Not sure about this, but raw danger has been unplayable for quite a long time. and iirc, it was because of post processing
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(12-08-2020, 12:41 AM)jesalvein Wrote: Not sure about this, but raw danger has been unplayable for quite a long time. and iirc, it was because of post processing

It's a shame. The game looks very nice with those effects enabled. Combine this with higher resolution and it would turn into perfection!
The fact that they disabled those effects in PS3 release almost makes me lose all hope, but I still want to believe that maybe someday it will be working

I'm still glad this game works in pcsx2 and very grateful to all of pcsx2 team for this!
Raw Danger's (as well as Steambot Chronicles, and other IREM games) post processing is complex and hard to understand. Namely it relies on a number of memory tricks on the GS (GPU of the PS2). The HW renderers do not emulate GS memory and instead put textures and the framebuffer into a format that makes sense for your GPU. Specifically it converts everything to a 32 bit linear format. This is a problem because GS memory is not linear, not always 32 bit, and the post-processing relies on the layout of the memory for the effect.

The question of whether it will ever be "added" to the HW renderer is a question of what you mean by "added". The HW renderer will likely never emulate it as it is done on the GS. It's simply impractical. Your GPU is just not up for the task even if you tried to brute force it on a 3090. It's too many draws (over 20K) over too small an area in a memory layout that simply makes no sense for modern GPUs. Not to mention the disaster it would make of our cache which has to allocate a full framebuffer times a lot only to use a small percent of it.

That being said, other games use a similar effect and we've been able to replace the nasty GS stuff with simple shaders that get relatively close to the result that the GS would have produced. Games like GT4 and MGS3 come to mind. However, doing that requires a pretty low level understanding of what the game is trying to accomplish which means reverse engineering the draws and following the processing all around during complicated memory transitions that mostly look like unintelligible barf. And even if you figure it out it isn't always practical to emulate it with a shader.

So I can't give you a definitive answer if the HW renderer will ever support it. It probably won't support it outside of a theoretical replacement shader. The PS3 likely doesn't support it because it would have been impractical without rewriting the mess for the PS3 GPU and the devs probably couldn't be bothered.

Otherwise you need to think about something other than the HW renderer.
[Image: HkgHT5k.gif]
もっとちゃんと言ってよ
忘れないようメモにしてよ

(12-08-2020, 05:14 AM)Kojin Wrote: Raw Danger's (as well as Steambot Chronicles, and other IREM games) post processing is complex and hard to understand. Namely it relies on a number of memory tricks on the GS (GPU of the PS2). The HW renderers do not emulate GS memory and instead put textures and the framebuffer into a format that makes sense for your GPU. Specifically it converts everything to a 32 bit linear format. This is a problem because GS memory is not linear, not always 32 bit, and the post-processing relies on the layout of the memory for the effect.

The question of whether it will ever be "added" to the HW renderer is a question of what you mean by "added". The HW renderer will likely never emulate it as it is done on the GS. It's simply impractical. Your GPU is just not up for the task even if you tried to brute force it on a 3090. It's too many draws (over 20K) over too small an area in a memory layout that simply makes no sense for modern GPUs. Not to mention the disaster it would make of our cache which has to allocate a full framebuffer times a lot only to use a small percent of it.

That being said, other games use a similar effect and we've been able to replace the nasty GS stuff with simple shaders that get relatively close to the result that the GS would have produced. Games like GT4 and MGS3 come to mind. However, doing that requires a pretty low level understanding of what the game is trying to accomplish which means reverse engineering the draws and following the processing all around during complicated memory transitions that mostly look like unintelligible barf. And even if you figure it out it isn't always practical to emulate it with a shader.

So I can't give you a definitive answer if the HW renderer will ever support it. It probably won't support it outside of a theoretical replacement shader. The PS3 likely doesn't support it because it would have been impractical without rewriting the mess for the PS3 GPU and the devs probably couldn't be bothered.

Otherwise you need to think about something other than the HW renderer.

Thank you so much for such an in-depth answer! I was always interested in this problem and why does this happen. I really wish I had the skills to somehow help with this