Ready to Dump BIOS; confused about tutorial
I just got my hands on a FreeMCboot memory card. But I am not understanding the tutorial recommended by PCSX2. What is this ps2link thing I have to connect to? Do I still have to use this internet method even though I have a FMCB card? (When I google what ps2link is, the results I get are those green and purple plug ins for a keyboard and mouse... I don't understand at all... What does this have to do with BIOS)

I suppose I don't fully understand what is meant by a "host connection" either... Do I just have to plug an ethernet cable from my PS2 to my router? I have a fat PS2 with a network adapter on the back, if that is relevant. 

Also I downloaded the Bios Dumper from the downloads section... Do all of the contents (7za.exe DUMPBIOS-MASS.ELF and ps2dumper.elf) all go on the same thumb drive? Or do I have to run the executable first before putting them on the thumb drive?

I was reading RF's guide to dumping the BIOS over lan. The guide keeps suggesting to have an empty memory card available, and things such as blank CD Roms and burners and such. (And if I need to have an empty memory card available, how am I supposed to use the FreeMCboot card and an empty one at the same time?)  This whole process is somewhat confusing to me because it doesn't seem to mention FreeMCboot cards other than him saying that its just easier to obtain one rather than do it yourself. So is this guide intended for FreeMCboot memory cards? Or without them?

Thanks in advance, DF.

Sponsored links

1.Place the DUMPBIOS-MASS.ELF into a flash drive(the lower the size of the flash drive,the higher the chance the PS2 will recognize it)
2.Plug the flash drive into one of the USB ports
3.Start your PS2 and since FMCB is installed,wait for the mini intro with the cubes to finish and from the list you will see uLaunchELF(by default this is the name set to it)...run it
4.When the program starts,you will see 3 menus.Press down once and the O on File Browser
5.Go down to mass:/,press O to enter and press O on DUMPBIOS-MASS.ELF

Since the program don't show any activity,it will take a while(don't think the program\ps2 freeze)
On my phat PS2 it took around 4 minutes until I got a message that the process is done(I knew that something was happening because my flash drive have an activity indicator)

That's all
(01-11-2020, 06:35 PM)vsub Wrote: 1.Place the DUMPBIOS-MASS.ELF into a flash drive(the lower the size of the flash drive,the higher the chance the PS2 will recognize it)
2.Plug the flash drive into one of the USB ports
3.Start your PS2 and since FMCB is installed,wait for the mini intro with the cubes to finish and from the list you will see uLaunchELF(by default this is the name set to it)...run it
4.When the program starts,you will see 3 menus.Press down once and the O on File Browser
5.Go down to mass:/,press O to enter and press O on DUMPBIOS-MASS.ELF

Since the program don't show any activity,it will take a while(don't think the program\ps2 freeze)
On my phat PS2 it took around 4 minutes until I got a message that the process is done(I knew that something was happening because my flash drive have an activity indicator)

That's all

Thats what I tried originally, and this was the result:

Dumping BIOS: Completed
Dumping ROM1: Failed
Dumping BROM: Failed
Dumping ROM2: Failed
Dumping NVM: Failed

So, I just checked. And on my menu it doesn't say "uLaunchELF" it only says "LaunchELF"   This is supposedly a 1.966 version of FMCB. Could it be a different version? Or was I sold a knock off?
I don't know what dumper did you used(version)but the one I used dumped everything(I think it was v1.0.0 or something)
It was really long ago so even if I give you what I have here,I don't know if this is the version I used(pcsx2 shows nothing when I run it and my PS2 is really far away)

PCSX2 only needs the bios,you don't need the other files to run games

The name can also be LaunchELF...the last time I used it,it was when 1.9(I thing 2)was the latest so maybe they change something to the FMCB installer or the one installing FMCB just change the names(which you can also do)
(01-11-2020, 09:43 PM)vsub Wrote: I don't know what dumper did you used(version)but the one I used dumped everything(I think it was v1.0.0 or something)
It was really long ago so even if I give you what I have here,I don't know if this is the version I used(pcsx2 shows nothing when I run it and my PS2 is really far away)

PCSX2 only needs the bios,you don't need the other files to run games

The name can also be LaunchELF...the last time I used it,it was when 1.9(I thing 2)was the latest so maybe they change something to the FMCB installer or the one installing FMCB just change the names(which you can also do)
Ill give it a try and as for the dumper version, I am using the latest one provided by pcsx2. And it was 1.0.0 on mine as well. Thank you for your help