Recommended video cards for 1440p?
Hello there. It's been a long time since I last visited here. Maybe not many people I know remains, however it is good to see PCSX2 project lives on. Been playing around with PCSX2 since 2006, I barely had the chance to play anything at good framerate and high resolution.

My life is sad, but I am eventually able to build my dream PC after more than a decade. I can afford the highest end hardware right now, but it is no longer my goal. I would like a multimedia PC with lightining fast SSD, reliable large RAID storage for game collection, custom water cooling for the sake of aesthetic, and high-end audio system. I already have appropriate parts for these purposes. I just want to play my favorites old games that I've been missing for years, and some PS2 games again. The only thing I am considering is the graphics card for my upcoming 1440p 27" monitor. Once assembled, it will be a pain to replace because the card is part of the custom liquid cooling loop. I need one that should be enough to run most games on PCSX2 at 1440p. FYI, I just sold my GTX 1070 because I never used above 30% of its power.

Old, used graphics cards are preferable due to cost (don't suggest something like the garbage GT 1030). Currently I have a lot of MSI GTX 750 Gaming, MSI GTX 750 Ti Gaming, and Asus GTX 950 Expedition around, which I bought for dirt cheap at $18 / $40 / $74 respectively. I prefer them because of their low power consumption, but can't put them to the test right now because I don't have many games at the moment. Older card suggestions are welcome, although the power is higher and reliability is lower.

Sponsored links

It depends on the game.
Some games the gpu may work fine even at 8x scaling,but on other,it may be hard at even 3x/4x scaling

For example on my GTX 1060 Kingdom Hearts 2 works fine at 8x scaling(4096x3584) with the 60fps patch enabled(which makes the game twice as hard on the hardware)and makes the gpu work at less than 50% but on Rogue Galaxy,the gpu is at 100% and the game is running at less than full speed
I'd recommended not trying any older models(or AMD GPUs) performance wise. I'd just pick the one out of the three you mention with the least amount of power consumption. If you play at 3x/4x(roughly 1440p depending on the game) any of those will play most games at full speed.

The games that do suffer at those specs, will often still not run perfectly with the highest end PCs.
To make it easier, these are games on my mind: Final Fantasy X→XII, God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Okami, Burnout 3, Gran Turismo 4, Resident Evil 4, Fatal Frame... Is 4x scaling enough for 2560x1440?

I will overclock my Ryzen 1200 once the water cooling loop is set, so don't worry about the CPU. Some Wii emulation is in my plan, too.
(01-11-2018, 07:38 PM)Livy Wrote: To make it easier, these are games on my mind: Final Fantasy X→XII, God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Okami, Burnout 3, Gran Turismo 4, Resident Evil 4, Fatal Frame... Is 4x scaling enough for 2560x1440?

I will overclock my Ryzen 1200 once the water cooling loop is set, so don't worry about the CPU. Some Wii emulation is in my plan, too.
You should be fine for all of those, except GT4(load/start a race with the software renderer, then switch back to the hardware renderer with the F9 key before the race starts to work around mose issues, but you might need to stick with 3x here), and SotC (which requires VU speedhacks to make it run well I believe).

3x scaling will be enough in vertical resolution, 4x should be roughly enough(4x640=2560) for horizontal resolution as well.

Your CPU might be an issue for the more demanding games. I don't know how much overclocking it can take, but AMD CPUs dont fare as well as Intel CPUs when it comes to PCSX2.
For what it's worth, my 1050 Ti handles any PS2 game I throw at it on 3x native. 4x native works just as well.
You could probably pick one up for cheap depending on where you are. However, this card may not be the first choice to many people when it comes to gaming and you may be one of those people.
Intel i5 4460 @ 3.20 GHz,
GTX 1050 Ti,
8GB RAM,
And some other gubbins that make things work.
/to Kian Stevens

I only play old games, so there should be no problem. I sold my GTX 1070 because of that. And almost forgot, almost all 1050 Ti / 1060 / 1070 are unavailable in my country - they are out of stock. If you are wondering where they go, here they are:

[Image: gpu-mining.jpg]
3x is roughly 1080p width wise and 4x is roughly 1440p width wise.
i have 4K monitor 28" to take a look of the glimpse.
same as kian i can only handle up to x2,x3 and fewer 4x native of my games....except MGS3 it looks too blind to see if upscaling reso is so high thus native x1 reso is the only way.
but aspect ratio i would rather stay by 4:3 of all my games.

all my games in rpcs3 are upscale to 4K...not a problem.
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
Okay, I decided to put God of War 2 and Shadow of the Colossus on a quick test. The 750 Ti failed to handle both at 4x scaling. SotC ran fine at 3x and dropped to 35-40fps at 4x. GoW2 ran fine for most parts at 4x, but slowed down to 30fps if there were fire/lightning effects.

I think the GTX 950 is a good choice. A RX 460 should be fine due to similar price and large amount of VRAM for other purposes.