Removal of Custom resolution from GSdx
Don't remove it. Plenty of games work with it. Custom gets you your specific rezzes. x6 may give you a high rez but it might be too hard on the machine. x4 may boost the rez up enough but you may still see jaggies. Using that custom rez, you can get it there and get a better rez in-between that reduces the jaggies more while getting to a rez you can still handle.

Custom rez can get you a clearer image while a multiplier can still get you a fuzzy one. The only time I use the multiplier rezzes is if a game has a problem. 10% of my games perhaps. The other 90%I use the custom rezzes. I can profile each game using launchbox so if I want a custom for one game and want a multiplier for another, I should be able to do that.

I would say add an option to just display it at desktop rez like dolphin but nvidia DSR is limited and the highest I can go is 3840x2160 but I would like to be able to still go to 4096x2304 which is the number that completely eliminates jaggies for almost every game I have emulated or not except background water in FFXIII and XIII-2.
Model: Clevo P570WM Laptop
GPU: GeForce GTX 980M ~8GB GDDR5
CPU: Intel Core i7-4960X CPU +4.2GHz (12 CPUs)
Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3L 1600MHz, 4x8gb

Sponsored links

I was confused by the custom resolution and thought i had to put in 1920x1080 so i have it running in full hd and i had a few issues... didn't know that custom resolution was to blame until you fixed the baldurs gate dark alliance - 2 screen bug and i found a thread where someone still had the bug, though you had fixed it (like me). someone answered that custom resolution is to blame.

I disabled it and i have a much improved experience now.

So i think you should disable it or at least put a big waring sign at it saying "this messes things up". New users like me are really confused about that and it causes trouble.
(10-12-2015, 11:34 AM)Mooglux Wrote: So i think you should disable it

The only questions to ask when deciding whether to disable an option are:
- Does it have a value? If yes, how big is this value?
- How hard is it to provide the same value using another approach, if at all possible?
- How much effort is required to maintain this option?

Many options in PCSX2 and in other imperfect applications there are in order to work around some issues which cannot be solved "properly", and as is the nature of imperfect workarounds, they may have negative implications on some cases.

The best approach for such options is to communicate better what's likely to have negative effects.

PCSX2 already tries to communicate such implications, like the warnings at the speed hack panel sliders, or the game fixes configurations, or having recommended settings, or the default settings, or the presets system, and it could certainly add a warning for the custom resolution, though your (probably limited) experience is also not representative, since many many games work just fine with custom resolutions.

The main issue with custom resolution, however, is that apparently it's hard to maintain and it makes the code more complex to a degree that it prevents other improvements (according to Gregory).

So the focus with this option should remain IMO on the balance between how useful it still is, vs how hard it is to maintain it and improve other areas while it exists.

The fact that this option has negative implication on some cases should not be part of this discussion as long as it also has good value in other cases.
I agree with keeping it in the .ini and dropping it in the GUI. I have yet to see a game that shows any improvement at all with 0.5x Native vs. Native.
This is a developer discussion sub forum. The developer discussed this already. The discussion was finished for the moment. There are concerns removing a feature. Gregory more or less made clear that he wont work on custom resolution any more.

If users select bad settings its their issue. Independent on application you shouldnt touch settings you dont know.

I dont think that there is a valid point for us users to keep posting in this thread if we just repeat what was already said. So just let this thread rest. If the developers come to new conclusions they can again revive it.
(07-23-2015, 08:11 PM)gregory Wrote: Resolution example in finding nemo game. Rt size it the size of the allocated texture. Image size is the real size of the image drawn. It is the important value. Values were taken before the Present function that will resize the image to the screen.

[...]

So please raise your hand, if the values are the one that you were expecting.

A late response, and I don't know if anyone still reads this. I came across it while looking for information on something else.  It seems your post didn't get much attention, which I think it deserves. it's not the values I expected at least.

gregory Wrote:Custom resolution 640x512 (half)
RT buffer size: 640x512
Image size: 640x256

Custom resolution 1920x1080 (full HD)
RT buffer size: 1920x1080
Image size: 1920x540

So vertical resolution is half here, is this always the case?  If so, just changing the UI might help.

One can also note that 1920*672, 3x native, would fit in a buffert of 1920*1080 but is not used.

gregory Wrote:Native:
RT buffer size: 1280x1024
Image size: 640x224

A much larger buffert than for other modes. Is this because the PS2 uses a framebuffert that size? Would be a waste with only 4MB vmem.

gregory Wrote:3/ You have a slight distortion of the Y-axis which likely won't help to increase the quality of the image.

So custom mode actually changes the aspect ratio if you don't set the values to match the native resolution? That is not something most users would be able to do. Perhaps hiding the setting would be desirable then.
(11-08-2015, 09:46 PM)artifactual Wrote: So custom mode actually changes the aspect ratio if you don't set the values to match the native resolution? That is not something most users would be able to do.

Most users will be able to do that.
I really would like it to stay part of pcsx2.
It's one of the things I don't like about other emulators. Is the fact you can enter a custom resolution.

Games that were originally made in 4x3 on 21x9 with 2x 3x, or 4x doesn't cope very well to be honest.
but entering a custom res
such as 1696x720, 1920x816, 2536x1080, gets the smoothness I desire.
Yes I play in 21x9.
(07-23-2015, 08:11 PM)gregory Wrote: Custom resolution 640x512 (half)

RT buffer size: 640x512
Image size: 640x256

Native:
RT buffer size: 1280x1024
Image size: 640x224

Custom resolution 1920x1080 (full HD)

RT buffer size: 1920x1080
Image size: 1920x540

Native 3x:

RT buffer size: 1920x1536
Image size: 1920x672

It was actually caused due to a scaling bug on the texture cache, I fixed these stuffs on #1435.

About the topic - Personally I don't see any benefit on removing custom resolution.
Some games need custom res e.g Marheaven Arm Fight Dream (J), Urban Reign (PAL-M5). Fixed vertical line by input res 960x960. While 2x res there're vertical lines issues. When upscaling
Im sorry i often misstype because im using cellphone...Y( '',)Y