Removal of Custom resolution from GSdx
I personally use 3x for my 1920x1200 res monitor. I have never used Custom resolution in all the time I have been messing around with the emulator all the way back to when I was using an AMD Athlon 64bit x2 3800+ with a Nvidia 7600gs GPU. So I am all for removing it competely to clean up the code and pave the way for future accuracy.

Sponsored links

(07-23-2015, 01:47 AM)refraction Wrote: Thats exactly what gregory is suggesting.

We have discussed it on IRC before bringing it to the forums for public debate and so far, the only legitimate reason for it I've seen is the taking of widescreen screenshots, which I think can be fixed to work with the native scaling dependant on the aspect ratio set inside PCSX2.

Downscaling can possibly be achieved with the Native x# methods (i believe 0.5 and possibly 0.75 were suggested) if it proves useful for anybody, which so far it hasn't really.

The only other reason I've really seen is for people obsessed with having exactly 1080p, which isn't really something you have to have exactly, considering the level of detail on the textures, but it will be close a few pixels either way with the scaling options.

And it also allows you to take screenshots on resolutions that your monitor doesn't support (e.g. 1440p res on a 1080p monitor. So besides the widescreen, it's great for making high quality screenshots. (Which we can then show off again and attract new users Tongue) But if you think this can be fixed possibly, then that would be good.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
If we could make an option for a screenshot res that would be fine. I'm not sure exactly how you would render the game at a specified res then go back to a multiple of native without causing issues.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
I intended to make tabs for the GSdx plugin settings to separate the options, maybe that way we wouldn't need to worry about space.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
I'm actually totally cool with removing custom resolutions, except I use ridiculous resolutions when taking screenshots for articles (I think 10x is what my gpu handles), so I use it for that. I do agree with taking away true custom resolution though, since I'm not sure that can do much without breaking games and technology is just going to improve, so using fractions of IR is going to be useless soon enough.
Don't forget 1.5x, 1.75x, etc. I don't agree on the removal. It's just an option. If it causes issues, you can always not use it. You can add a tooltip explaining that this option may cause issues if you concern that the users may not understand. Also, I don't think the space in the UI is an issue. Currently the "Custom" option is in the drop-down list and the custom resolution boxes take up only one line of space.

Regarding the code, could you please show it to me? I'll make suggestions on how to improve it or if it needs improvements when I have time.
(07-23-2015, 06:58 PM)xemnas99 Wrote: Regarding the code, could you please show it to me? I'll make suggestions on how to improve it or if it needs improvements when I have time.

Just guessing here but if you have to ask for the source you probably don't have the ability to improve it...

The point is that gregory wants to change a lot of fundamental stuff. If he does he always has to check if custom resolution is still working. (for different games) If custom resolution is not working any longer he needs to improve the custom resolution code -a part of the gs code that he doesn't even consider to be useful.
@xemnas99

The problem is that some games like Baldurs gate take the x and y values of the custom res when native resolution is enabled , which eventually was fixed by ref by adding conditional checks to make sure that the x&y values are applied only when native resolution is disabled. This is just one of the issues, there are lot of other stuffs where the custom res is bothering in the codebase.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(07-23-2015, 07:13 PM)willkuer Wrote: Just guessing here but if you have to ask for the source you probably don't have the ability to improve it...

Oh. Never mind then. Sorry for trying to help. Smile
Resolution example in finding nemo game. Rt size it the size of the allocated texture. Image size is the real size of the image drawn. It is the important value. Values were taken before the Present function that will resize the image to the screen.

Custom resolution 640x512 (half)

RT buffer size: 640x512
Image size: 640x256

Native:
RT buffer size: 1280x1024
Image size: 640x224

Custom resolution 1920x1080 (full HD)

RT buffer size: 1920x1080
Image size: 1920x540

Native 3x:

RT buffer size: 1920x1536
Image size: 1920x672

Conclusion:
1/ 0.5 native doesn't really exists.
2/ Even if you set custom resolution to your screen resolution, it won't match your screen resolution and trigger a rescaling.
3/ You have a slight distortion of the Y-axis which likely won't help to increase the quality of the image.

So please raise your hand, if the values are the one that you were expecting.