Remove or disable KOF 2002 soundtrack?
How do I remove/disable KOF 2002 background music on the Playstation 2 version with some modification? Could someone modify the PS2 rom for me and disable the audio? Or do something in there that could remove or disable that background music audio.

Do I want to leave only the voices and sound effects in the PS2 version? Since by normal means, through the menu and others, it is not possible to do this, since the game itself does not allow it, but I would like to know other methods. Could someone make some changes to the PS2 KOF 2002 rom or do something to disable the background music?

Sponsored links

What game are you talking about? KOF 2002 = The King of Fighters - Challenge to Ultimate Battle (US) (2002)?

If so then yes, I can do it.
Well I went ahead and made a no stage music patch for The King of Fighters 2002: Challenge to Ultimate Battle (USA). Not sure if that was the right game but I'm bored. >.<

There is still music at the character select screen but there shouldn't be music in any of the stages(as far as I know!)

It's an xdelta patch. In the zip is also a little readme file with info on the correct iso needed and a link to an xdelta patcher on romhacking.net, if needed.

Attached Files
.zip   kof_2002_usa_no_stage_music_v1-0.zip (Size: 3,73 KB / Downloads: 36)
(03-15-2023, 03:54 PM)IPlayWithHex Wrote: What game are you talking about? KOF 2002 = The King of Fighters - Challenge to Ultimate Battle (US) (2002)?

Oh, I'm talking about KOF 2002, him, English and Japanese. Thanks for doing this.
(03-15-2023, 05:57 PM)IPlayWithHex Wrote: Well I went ahead and made a no stage music patch for The King of Fighters 2002: Challenge to Ultimate Battle (USA). Not sure if that was the right game but I'm bored. >.<

There is still music at the character select screen but there shouldn't be music in any of the stages(as far as I know!)

It's an xdelta patch. In the zip is also a little readme file with info on the correct iso needed and a link to an xdelta patcher on romhacking.net, if needed.

It was the same one, but it was both him and the Japanese one, yesterday I was going to post the link between the two, but I forgot and I was sick, so I focused on taking care of this disease, but thanks for showing me and sending the American one without background music.

Thanks for that, bro, and I'm not even asking you for more, but would you be able to do it in Japanese too? I was going to show the link to both yesterday, so I don't have to say there were two. It's because I don't know if Japanese to English changes anything in the game, so I was going to ask/asked too, but thanks for that one itself bro. And I understand boredom, I'm in it too, uaehaeuhaea, this is the right game anyway, yeah, anyway.

Ah, no problem, no problem for the music on the character selection screen, yesterday, I tried it too, for my form and I couldn't, but I was wondering whether or not to remove the songs besides the battle songs, heauheauhea. But thanks a lot for that, bro, you did it. I've been after this for three years, since 2020 and I didn't think, I couldn't get some form of it and you did it, you did it and you sent it to me, thanks, bro, I was four years behind this and I finally got it.

Then I'm going to open the patch and put it in there and look inside the text file to read the right information about the correct iso and the link to the site of the right file and other things needed for that I'm going to see the xdelta patcher there in the romhacking. net, I didn't even know it was made like that. Thanks for sending me, showing and instructing me on all this, bro, I'll read the file and look for information about everything that is necessary for this and then run it. Thanks a lot for your help and instruction. I will do and resolve this. Thank you very much indeed for the help.
(03-15-2023, 03:54 PM)IPlayWithHex Wrote: What game are you talking about? KOF 2002 = The King of Fighters - Challenge to Ultimate Battle (US) (2002)?

I opened it and tried to use it, but I didn't understand, what do I have to do? Drag game in .exe? Or go to create the rom and put it there? And in the modified rom? How am I going to modify and play there in the modified? I didn't understand exactly that. Thanks for explaining about that, but that part, I didn't understand and now, I'm lost.
Sorry, I just woke up. Here are some step-by-step instructions:

(Remember for this process to work, you need the same version of the game this patch was made for:
http://redump.org/disc/33619/
^ That is the redump listing for the version I used. If your iso matches that one, it's the correct one. i.e., (USA) SLUS 209.95)

Download and unzip my patch.

Go here and download, xdeltaUI and unzip the archive:
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/598/

Double-Click xdeltaUI.exe(NOT xdelta.exe!)

Make sure you are on the 'Apply Patch' tab and you should these three prompts with buttons after each:

Patch ... Open
Source File ... Open
Output File ...

Click the 'Open' button next to Patch and choose my patch.

For the Source File, choose your original game iso.

Output is the patched file that will be created. Click the '...' to give it a name and choose the folder where it will be created.
You could name it King of Fighters 2002 (USA) (No Stage Music).iso or something. Just remember to give it the .iso extension as that is the extension of the original file. (xdelta can patch many file types, not just .iso so always remember to give the 'output' the same file extension as the source file.)

Now you are ready to create the patched iso, so click the Patch button at the bottom!

Although my patch is only 13kb, the game is 3+ gb so it could take a min or two for the new patched file to be created. It took between a 60 to 90 secs for me. Just leave the program alone. When it's done, a msg will pop-up saying "Patch Sucessful" or something similar.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you get it to work. Smile

======
Btw, you mentioned posting links above; don't post links to actual isos or downloads. That's not allowed here. It's OK if you're posting a link to a website like redump.org that just has information about the disc, though.

I *might* be able to make a patch for the Jap version too, if the stage music is stored the same way as the US version(I'm sure it is). I might take a look at it sometime, but I'm not gonna make any promises.
(03-16-2023, 03:55 AM)IPlayWithHex Wrote: Sorry, I just woke up. Here are some step-by-step instructions:

(Remember for this process to work, you need the same version of the game this patch was made for:
http://redump.org/disc/33619/
^ That is the redump listing for the version I used. If your iso matches that one, it's the correct one. i.e., (USA) SLUS 209.95)

Download and unzip my patch.

Go here and download, xdeltaUI and unzip the archive:
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/598/

Double-Click xdeltaUI.exe(NOT xdelta.exe!)

Make sure you are on the 'Apply Patch' tab and you should these three prompts with buttons after each:

Patch ... Open
Source File ... Open
Output File ...

Click the 'Open' button next to Patch and choose my patch.

For the Source File, choose your original game iso.

Output is the patched file that will be created. Click the '...' to give it a name and choose the folder where it will be created.
You could name it King of Fighters 2002 (USA) (No Stage Music).iso or something. Just remember to give it the .iso extension as that is the extension of the original file. (xdelta can patch many file types, not just .iso so always remember to give the 'output' the same file extension as the source file.)

Now you are ready to create the patched iso, so click the Patch button at the bottom!

Although my patch is only 13kb, the game is 3+ gb so it could take a min or two for the new patched file to be created. It took between a 60 to 90 secs for me. Just leave the program alone. When it's done, a msg will pop-up saying "Patch Sucessful" or something similar.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you get it to work. Smile

======
Btw, you mentioned posting links above; don't post links to actual isos or downloads. That's not allowed here. It's OK if you're posting a link to a website like redump.org that just has information about the disc, though.

I *might* be able to make a patch for the Jap version too, if the stage music is stored the same way as the US version(I'm sure it is). I might take a look at it sometime, but I'm not gonna make any promises.
No problem, I figured I'd be asleep anyway. An hour ago, I had come here and you weren't there, then, in those forty minutes that you answered, I turned up and saw that you had answered about twenty, no problem, I've been busy too.

What's up, thanks for answering me, but that wasn't exactly it. It was about the file itself, I imagined that I should have gone there to apply the patch and that that place was the game, but where is the patch/.xdelta file exactly? Are these files SHA1, MD5 and SFV? Because I downloaded his patches and they don't give anything and I put them there in the program and nothing appeared in the folder, he doesn't think so.

I put in all the files to see, normally I would have found it without me using that mechanism, so I didn't get anything. That's what I asked you, you know? That's why I'm totally lost, it went past there and I was kind of at a loss to understand, but your instruction, yes, I understand and thanks for explaining again, but clearly, but about this step of the patch, I really don't understand, I'm not managing to get past there and it does not show anything in my folder and I did not understand these three files well. What would they be exactly, bro?

Ah, now I understand about the links thing, it's just that once, I saw someone allowing them to post links here of the games for them to analyze their SLUS/SLES files, so I said that. So I'm sorry. And as for Japanese and there are no promises about it, that's fine. You already helped me with the Americana, I already owe you a favor and thank you very much for that.
You're welcome. As to your question:

"...but where is the patch/.xdelta file exactly? Are these files SHA1, MD5 and SFV? Because I downloaded his patches and they don't give anything and I put them there in the program and nothing appeared in the folder, he doesn't think so."

Ok, don't worry about downloading anything from the redump.org site. I just posted to the link to site for information only; so you could see which version of the game my patch was made for.

The xdelta patch you need is the one I made, attached to my post above.
(03-16-2023, 05:00 AM)IPlayWithHex Wrote: You're welcome. As to your question:

"...but where is the patch/.xdelta file exactly? Are these files SHA1, MD5 and SFV? Because I downloaded his patches and they don't give anything and I put them there in the program and nothing appeared in the folder, he doesn't think so."

Ok, don't worry about downloading anything from the redump.org site. I just posted to the link to site for information only; so you could see which version of the game my patch was made for.

The xdelta patch you need is the one I made, attached to my post above.

Oh wait, is this the patch? Damn, man, sorry, I got confused, I'm so lazy here, I downloaded the patch file and then xdeltaUI and I focused completely on it and I forgot about the KOF2002 patch and I forgot about it all, I got confused and I ended up confusing too, sorry about that.

As for what I said about the site, don't worry, I wasn't afraid to download it, I wasn't afraid, I've been in the habit of downloading roms for a few years and things where they think they can't be trusted sites, I even told you that I put there and nothing appeared, it wasn't a comment of fear, it could be fine, it was really a doubt, but also wrong, I did it wrong, but that was my doubt about what they were because they didn't appear, but I was the slow one and I didn't put the patch in the application and I got all confused and I even forgot that the patch was in the folder, I forgot about it because eventually I was doing other things on the site and I opened only the xdelta and I forgot for the rest of the day that the patch was there downloaded with me. (LOL). Sorry for this, for this inconvenience and delaying you, I realized that you weren't understanding either, but that's because I didn't understand, as I didn't understand, I ended up making you not understand anything either, I understood everything wrong and I was confused too, forgiveness. I've been busy these days and I have a lot of things on my mind to think about and solve at once, if it was just the game, I'd solve it quickly, at that time and show you what resulted. But now, I have another problem:

Oh and I did and it gave this, for your language: file open failed. The file is already being used by another process. (There are no other apps using the KOF rom file on my PC, wtf).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)