Repacking OR Updating a PS2 ISO
Hey guys,

I've been reverse engineering a PS2 game for fun the past couple of days, and have gotten to the point where I can extract some resources (text, some simple images, etc) from it. I'm also able to "repack" these resources correctly (Confirmed by dumping/extracting the originals, repacking, then hashing them and checking against the originals). These resources are stored in one giant archive file in the root of the ISO.

The issue I'm having is creating an ISO that PCSX2 will actually boot. There's this old program called Apache that allows me to replace files "in-place" on an original ISO, but I have no idea what it's doing. 

When I try to create an ISO from "scratch" (dump all files, replace the resource archive with my modified one, then create an ISO from the folder), PCSX2 refuses to boot it, in fact, it crashes entirely. 

Does anyone know what magic combination of flags I can pass to mkisofs/genisoimage to make an ISO that will actually boot? Alternatively, does anyone know what method Apache uses to replace files "in-place" without creating a new ISO? 

Any hints or tips in the right direction are appreciated!

Sponsored links

(05-31-2021, 05:59 AM)ebfe Wrote: Hey guys,

I've been reverse engineering a PS2 game for fun the past couple of days, and have gotten to the point where I can extract some resources (text, some simple images, etc) from it. I'm also able to "repack" these resources correctly (Confirmed by dumping/extracting the originals, repacking, then hashing them and checking against the originals). These resources are stored in one giant archive file in the root of the ISO.

The issue I'm having is creating an ISO that PCSX2 will actually boot. There's this old program called Apache that allows me to replace files "in-place" on an original ISO, but I have no idea what it's doing. 

When I try to create an ISO from "scratch" (dump all files, replace the resource archive with my modified one, then create an ISO from the folder), PCSX2 refuses to boot it, in fact, it crashes entirely. 

Does anyone know what magic combination of flags I can pass to mkisofs/genisoimage to make an ISO that will actually boot? Alternatively, does anyone know what method Apache uses to replace files "in-place" without creating a new ISO? 

Any hints or tips in the right direction are appreciated!

Apache was a great software and you can simply directly replace a file by right clicking on it. Too bad the latest version crashes and old versions had the various restrictions but still I use it all the time to edit my isos.