Poll: Frameskip high GS load
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Implement
16.67%
1 16.67%
Not implement
83.33%
5 83.33%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Request frameskip
(03-22-2014, 01:09 AM)tsunami2311 Wrote: your welcome to compile this and prove it better then what the coders of pcsx2 is using. if you dont know coding then why you even asking when they said it would be pointless?

Side note you topics are fun to read

i am sorry. Read carefully.
Refraction is misundertanding. He though frameskip on high %GS load only. But what i post is " when fps low and high %GS load. Frame will be skipped". And it hasn't been implement before.
Im sorry i often misstype because im using cellphone...Y( '',)Y

Sponsored links

no, you just don't understad wha he is sying. Currently, just as one example, Shadow Of The Colesus (SoTC) runs at an 80% to 95%+ GS rate, as in it takes up that much processing power. Having played SoTC on a PS3, emulating a PS2, as well as on a PS2 itself, the game has studder points, this is n the 100% legit and woring hardware. PCSX2 does the same, it is NOT a problem of the emlator, it's a problem of the game itself. What you suggest would break the game as it would, 100% of the time, be skipping frames.
(03-22-2014, 08:37 AM)Saiki Wrote: no, you just don't understad wha he is sying. Currently, just as one example, Shadow Of The Colesus (SoTC) runs at an 80% to 95%+ GS rate, as in it takes up that much processing power. Having played SoTC on a PS3, emulating a PS2, as well as on a PS2 itself, the game has studder points, this is n the 100% legit and woring hardware. PCSX2 does the same, it is NOT a problem of the emlator, it's a problem of the game itself. What you suggest would break the game as it would, 100% of the time, be skipping frames.

even with constant skipping?
Edit:
May be we must add %EE load too.
If %EE load high = frame will not skipped.
Frameskip if fps low + high %GS + low %EE. Other than that rule. Frame will not skipped. What do you think? Cos skip when turbo only is pointless. Thank you Smile
I think you're beating a dead horse and can't take a hint when people say no Tongue

Frame skipping is already a hack in itself that should not even exist in PCSX2 save for a few special cases where it MIGHT actually help, and you want it to regularly kick in in cases where your computer is simply to weak to emulate a game. In those cases it seems like a better idea to just not play it.
(03-22-2014, 03:22 PM)Coornio Wrote: I think you're beating a dead horse and can't take a hint when people say no Tongue

Frame skipping is already a hack in itself that should not even exist in PCSX2 save for a few special cases where it MIGHT actually help, and you want it to regularly kick in in cases where your computer is simply to weak to emulate a game. In those cases it seems like a better idea to just not play it.

i think,you are right. I am doing this cos to help other especially on weak GPU. I think constant skipping should be little modified with this methode
What people is having problems understanding is why do you insist in the most drastic hacks "before" attempting the less harming one.

Would be more understandable if you asked progressive EE cyclerate or aggressive VU cycle stealing.

The frame rate is a smoothness destroyer when it even works without creating more drastic sync issues.

Tampering with the base framerate is something to consider, but is necessary to understand the emulator already does kind of magic emulating RR as FPS and then actual PS2 FPS inside FPS and I dare not even imagine how the "motion pace" integrates in all this.

I mean, even PS2 have sometimes slowdowns (yet it can't allow the RR to change at all, least the TV going crazy so that infamous 60/50 Hz are granted by hardware). Notice is said 60Hz, not 60FPS.

Emulating this thing is hard already when is just emulating the PS2 normal operation. Much harder when trying to emulate a non compliant PS2 which would securely go nuts if actual EE changed the clock speed, got interrupted too much by VU... and goodness forbid, having the RR distorted.

Is understandable the developers are always seeking for new ideas to increase performance, just than proposing the most breaking ones first is becoming old and somewhat annoying. This kind of thread makes the devs looking as they don't care and this is not true, billyash, they just know on the skin what is the fight to keep the emulator's timings and sync. Don't be surprised they are not willing to increase the number of threads complaining issues, in this case with justified rant. They don't want the user having to redo settings at each different game.

The fight is to get the emulator one click play. To enjoy the game, not to pass the time trying to restore balance. The problem is this means increasing accuracy and stability and this harms performance... is a bell curve. PCSX2 already achieved the point in time where machines "supposed" to run it as it must be ran are already reality. Accuracy/compatibility/stability are more important now than performance, it was so with every older emulators as well, is the way things are.

Or do you believe Zsnes (for example) ran so smoothly on the older pentiums and atlons xps? I tell you from experience, they didn't, the games were so hard on the machine as PS2 games are for last year machines.

Edit: I hope you understand than putting this as poll you are trying to force the devs and PCSX2 admin staff hands, beware you may achieve it.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Does PCSX2 support dynamic frame skipping? I see only constant skipping in the option.
(03-22-2014, 05:13 PM)xemnas99 Wrote: Does PCSX2 support dynamic frame skipping? I see only constant skipping in the option.

I'm not sure also, but still the only parameter really valid to trigger it would be the FPS itself. As refraction tried to explain, having EE or GS high is not warranty the FPS is down. Still, in the same place you can change frame skipping modes there is a warning, put in there for a reason.

Well. Let's see what comes out. The discussion of things sometimes might bring useful ideas.

The real point is most nowadays machines can run the games without any hack at all and sometimes with just enough speedhack to solve most issues (when they can't, then better is looking for the problem in the way that particular game behaves, not trying to change the general emulator's settings). implementing progressive speedhacks would be a more sensible proposition... but the devs team is already a tad short and busy with more important and immediate issues. Anyone is invited to try patching the code and submitting it to appreciation. If the patch is good, it will be accepted.

In the end we are becoming tired with solutions based on one game alone and even then most of times not even tried across the whole game. "Solutions" which don't hold for another game and actually make things a lot worse.

Besides, ways to change those settings which should not be tampered otherwise, do exist already, be directly into ini files and some implemented at gui level even. If changing them there and this shows not being good in another situation is already a sign there is something deeply wrong with that "solution". And the reason they are called hacks and not solutions, just workaround and the reason they aren't automated. Except for game fixes which would make the game unplayable otherwise, and then got automated in the game database.
I want to add that for the very reason is being asked the automating of the frameskip already shows it is bad to be there all the time and so will be very bad if it got there when not needed.

Edit: People who have followed PCSX2 evolution know that older versions in many cases run specific games with better performance. Does this mean PCSX2 got worse with time?

The answer is no, PCSX2 is meant to be an emulator not a player of specific game, the performance was harmed because it got more code to increase the general compatibility and stability.

Besides, there is a reason for establishing minimal machine requirements, this is so even for PC games. There is no miracle getting bellow minimum machines running PS2 emulated games smoothly shortly from remaking the emulator from scratch, and one should not expect it happening so soon, if will ever happen.

The sights are now turned to newer hardware and APIs enhancements, which may allow making the emulator more accurate without "losing" more performance.

PS: Unfortunately this might mean the people with bellow minimum requirements machines are better preparing themselves for their machines becoming each day less able to run PCSX2.
I think automatic frame skipping is good. Was it available in the older versions? If so, why was it removed?