Resolution question
Hi, sorry for the noob question ;P but I put my internal resolution and GS window resolution to 1920x1080 but when i run a game, it says on the GS window 512x448... does that mean the game is running at that resolution?

i'll show you some pics

[Image: 2tHGh]

[Image: 2tHI6]

[Image: 2tHJ9]

please help me understand ^^ thanks

Sponsored links

From what I understand, what you're looking at, the 512x448 is the games internal native resolution. If you have the resolution set to custom and 1920x1080, the game should automatically upscale to that. Hence, you'll be playing at your desired resolution, NOT the 512x448.
oh thanks, also... I'm playing GOW 2 and I have really weird shadow issues, I see weird shadows that are totally not aligned to where they should be.

[Image: 2tIbY]

do you see the shadow of kratos to the left of him? is that supposed to be like that?

EDIT: nvm, fixed this issue by checking "Alpha" in HW hacks ^^
(04-04-2013, 04:10 PM)Noobita Wrote: oh thanks, also... I'm playing GOW 2 and I have really weird shadow issues, I see weird shadows that are totally not aligned to where they should be.

do you see the shadow of kratos to the left of him? is that supposed to be like that?

I bet this issue will never fix...Tongue

(04-04-2013, 04:10 PM)Noobita Wrote: oh thanks, also... I'm playing GOW 2 and I have really weird shadow issues, I see weird shadows that are totally not aligned to where they should be.

I bet this issue will never fix...Tongue
Some games use special internal post processing which aren't still correctly understood and translated by the emulator's core or the GS plugin. It's not something related with machine power but a problem of accuracy which will be eventually corrected at some point to most "misbehaving" games of today.

Still, some general guidance can be provided to help understanding some few concepts.

First, 1920x1080 may not be the best upscale for the original image resolution, that you correctly identified is that shown at the title bar.
using the native resolution multiplier should be attempted first because it brings a more homogeneous field for the points insertion. Due the potential glitches mentioned above, the multiplier might sometimes be the actual case of glitches in the image and in this case one could attempt custom values and this is an empirical procedure which depend on the game. Most of times and most games behave nicely enough and will upscale without clearly perceivable issues whatever the output.

Is at the other configuration window that the screen resolution, aspect rate and such are defined. Still I believe you already know it since the game is in widescreen.

For now there are specific hacks to try and correct definite games particularities, one of them, introduced in recent SVN revisions is the TC offset.

Sorry if these are general information, I can't be specific on this game so I hope it to shed some light in a general fashion. And mainly to tell your machine is pretty good to run this game so easily as shown at the screenshot, the pointed issues may be still something not solvable by hacks alone and then not something at user's reach to resolve ATM.
Imagination is where we are truly real
thanks for the answers, I will use native from now on, it upscales by a lot more. I think I've overcome the shadowing problem by enabling Alpha and Half-pixel Offset in HW hacks section ^^

thanks a lot guys
You accept living with native res, lol?

Use Half Pixel Offset hack, Noobita. That fixes the ghosting effect when using resolution higher than native in GoW2.

Btw, the 512x448 is the game original resolution on the PS2. AFAIK the PS2 doesn't use that kind of resolution -- it uses 480i instead -- but it is the PC equivalent. I'm now wondering why you do not use Progressive Scan. By the resolution of 512x448, I can tell it is the NTSC-U version and it does support Progressive Scan (PAL version is 512x512 and does not).
I meant I am using native multiplicators, surprisingly my PC can handle native x6 @_@

and what is progressive scan?
Hi noobita,i'm playing Gow 2 also.enable HW hacks in video plugin settings & tick first four.i'm playing on 2x native btw.u can select 3x,4x as u want.there will be no problem Smile
(04-04-2013, 04:58 PM)Noobita Wrote: I meant I am using native multiplicators, surprisingly my PC can handle native x6 @_@

and what is progressive scan?

Progressive scan is the normal way a frame is presented, complete. TV, for bandwidth reasons created a method to send half field of each frame at a time, a method known as interlaced, which console games inherited mainly due to them being meant to play on TV to start with.

Of course the interlace is not ideal, so some PS2 games, not all and not many even allow the choice to use progressive mode, for the case the TV is able to it also.

Edited: to correct where I said "so some PC games... instead the correct some PS2 games...

PS: Even if your PC can handle 6x, better is having it at 4x or 5x max... there is no significant gain in quality to make up for the huge extra stress put on the card and the potential source of issues such upscale brings.
Imagination is where we are truly real