Resolved: [Bug Report] Dropship - United Peace Force [NTSC]
Game CRC = 0x57D3A71B
SLUS20463
using latest revision and plugins (current r4920)
Game starts to boot showing a few screens then goes into a complete unresponsive state , needing to forcibly kill pcsx2, tried every game-fix, round, clamp mode and gs plugins

setting vu01 to interpreter mode will get it somewhat past the intro (but it will just make it to memcard prompt then just shows a black screen).

this game is only at Intro in the game database, but incase anyone wanted to take another look I can provide a block dump if necessary.

console
Code:
Plugins opened successfully.
EE/iR5900-32 Recompiler Reset
Bios Found: USA     v02.20(10/02/2006)  Console
BIOS rom2 module not found, skipping...
BIOS erom module not found, skipping...
(UpdateVSyncRate) Mode Changed to NTSC.
(UpdateVSyncRate) FPS Limit Changed : 59.94 fps
csr.RESET
(SYSTEM.CNF) Detected PS2 Disc = cdrom0:\SLUS_204.63;1
(SYSTEM.CNF) Software version = 1.03
(SYSTEM.CNF) Disc region type = NTSC
ELF (cdrom0:\SLUS_204.63;1) Game CRC = 0x57D3A71B, EntryPoint = 0x00100008
(SYSTEM.CNF) Detected PS2 Disc = cdrom0:\SLUS_204.63;1
(SYSTEM.CNF) Software version = 1.03
(SYSTEM.CNF) Disc region type = NTSC
csr.RESET
csr.RESET
Gif Unit - GS packet size exceeded VU memory size!
microVU1 Warning: Branch, Branch, Branch! [2aa8]

Sponsored links

try changing the vu round mode to positive or negative, see if that helps
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

tried both Negative and positive, basically the same thing, it just shows a black screen after the loading screen.
I also tried with superVU and that just causes pcsx2 to crash, microVU causes an unresponsive state.
With a dev build you can see a few frames of ingame graphics (in the demo) but that's it.
Game has never been playable, best it's been is at menus and no known fixes.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Music 
yeah I can also get a few frames more if i change vu1 to interp mode, though it will ultimately freeze up, strange though it seems to get multiple failures (gif, vu, and gs (gs in software mode will crash the emu)) never seen such a picky game before Tongue2

anyways it might be an interesting game to study, since pcsx2 development has slowed down a tiny bit it might be worth a looking at some of the older games that are broken and aren't gsdx related (since only gabest can seem to fix them)

the blockdump for this game is 5mb (60 mb uncmp) if anyone needs it, the demo is probably just as good though.
Gave this game a whack, got some good news actually. This game is pretty interesting so far Smile

It can go in-game, but only on debug builds and has a half-screen issue in HW mode.

- VU1 interpreter won't work, MicroVU and SuperVU give the same effect. Rounding/Clamp modes do nothing.

-SW will run decently, HW renderer runs OK at various points.

- Emulator hangs on the VU thread on a release build. Surprisingly, the game gets quite a bit further running it with a debug build. It will hang if the player enters a "Pilot Name" and tries to proceed past that screen.

- Disabling MTVU significantly increased FPS on the menu screen - only seems to impact debug builds, since dev/release builds don't get as far in-game.

- If you sit on the Pilot Selection screen long enough, the in-game demo will play. Screenshots will be posted below Smile

Various Debug print:

Code:
GIF Handler Debug - BITBLTBUF
GIF Handler Debug - FINISH

microVU1 Warning: Exiting from Possible Infinite Loop [13b0] [090]
microVU1 Warning: Exiting from Possible Infinite Loop [05f8] [095]
microVU1 Warning: Exiting from Possible Infinite Loop [1380] [090]
microVU1 Warning: Exiting from Possible Infinite Loop [05e0] [095]
microVU0 Warning: Accessing VU1 Regs! [00d8] [2] (Disabling MTVU resolves this error)

Hang when playing in-game demo
Code:
Gif Unit - Signal or PSE Set or Dir = GS to EE

GS Dump (menu screen):
.xz   Dropship_menu_GSdump.xz (Size: 2,49 MB / Downloads: 506)

GS Dump (in-game demo):
.xz   dropship_ingamedemo.xz (Size: 2,5 MB / Downloads: 489)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Got a debug log to see where it hangs after entering a "Pilot Name" - it seems to be IPU related but I suspect the root issue still has to do with the GIF/Path 3? I don't know which it is Tongue

I can't load the savestates without the GIF FIFO enabled, so that's a start I guess...

Edit: I got further into the menus using the SkipMPEG hack, so there's definitely an IPU issue here besides whatever else has gone bonkers Tongue

Edit2: It goes in-game perfectly fine.  Smile  The only question remains as to why this is only possible on debug builds. The debug log reports that the VIF1 Stalls alot, even though it's normal to do so; it could be related to why it hangs on release/dev builds.

Code:
eReg(0022eedc 45f7ff3e): HwRead32     @ 0x10002010/IPU_CTRL         -> 0x80800000
eReg(0022eed0 45f7ff42): HwRead64     @ 0x10002000/IPU_CMD          -> 0x80000000.00000000

More log snippets:
Code:
microVU1: Cached Prog = [356] [PC=3ff8] [List=185] (Cache=12.018%) [7.3mb]
microVU1: Prog Range Wrap [3ff8] [-1]

microVU1: Cached Prog = [355] [PC=3e88] [List=01] (Cache=12.011%) [7.3mb]
microVU1: Prog Range Wrap [3e88] [-1]

The game will stall at random with or without an debug message in the console
Code:
Gif Unit - Signal or PSE Set or Dir = GS to EE
OK, I got a proper blockdump this time. It seems I just had to play the game for a while to get all the blocks dumped - although it never stopped writing to the .dump, so I hope this is enough. Maybe we'll eventually figure out a solution to get it working on release/devel builds Smile

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QPx83q...DsNyYtgFA8
So I made an accidental discovery, I suppose it's in the wrong direction but it's technically an improvement if you want to call it that...

Code:
__ri void eBitWarning(mV) {
if (mVUpBlock->pState.blockType == 1) Console.Error("microVU%d Warning: Branch, E-bit, Branch! [%04x]",  mVU.index, xPC);
if (mVUpBlock->pState.blockType == 2) Console.Error("microVU%d Warning: Branch, Branch, Branch! [%04x]", mVU.index, xPC);
incPC(2);
if (curI & _Ebit_) {
DevCon.Warning("microVU%d: E-bit in Branch delay slot! [%04x]", mVU.index, xPC);
mVUregs.blockType = 1;
}
incPC(-2);

Under the Branch, Branch, Branch warning, changing incPC to seemingly any value (other than the default of 2) resolves the menu hang on release builds of PCSX2, with various "artifacts" printed in the console - 0 seems to be the least problematic.

The only problem is that there is now no graphical output. On the plus side, I am able to load all of my savestates that were made on debug builds without a problem, everything else in the game runs (at least audibly Tongue) and I can control the aircraft as if the game were running normally.

Basically whatever problem remains seems to lie with the E-bit. I will continue investigating. Smile
Thank you for your report.
This bug report has now been marked as Resolved since it has been fixed on our code base.

This thread will now be closed and moved to the resolved bug reports subforum.