Resolved: [Bug Report] Jak X Combat Racing Demo
So after long months of waiting i finally got sent a copy of a demo disk called
Jampack Demo Disk Volume 13, which has on it a demo of Jak X Combat Racing along with other games.

Surely enough all games work except Jak X which boots me to the bios with the following error:
dkernel: HookOrDie() error (new=0x0020580c, old=0x0011ecb8); aborting
which is a bit different from the error we had on the full game which was:
dkernel: HookOrDie() error (new=0x002760b4, old=0x00122c78); aborting

Tried the following patch on the thing to no avail:

gametitle=Jak X Combat Racing DEMO [SCUS 97486] (U)
comment=patches by Nachbrenner
// fix "dkernel: HookOrDie() error"
patch=0,EE,00205110,word,10000010

If it is allowed i can upload the demo from the disc as i have extracted it, it can be run via the Run ELF option in PCSX2. I don't know what your policy on uploading demos is so i am just asking.

I feel bloody stupid, because I spent 50 freaking Euros on this and still couldn't find a goddamn clue.

I am also searching for the Jak X Combat Racing DEMO [SCUS 97486] disc so i can buy it but everyone i came across were selling it for like 300 Euros or so saying: "What did you expect, it's a collection item."
Fkin hell im not spending 300 Euros on a freakin DEMO.

Sponsored links

Unfortunately there seems to be some sort of weird copyright on demo discs, i assume so anyway as you can't seem to get them anywhere else lol, but that might just be because PS2's can't read burned discs.

To get that patch working, you will probably have to modify it to point to the correct address, but without knowing what the original one patches, i couldn't help. I suggest getting ps2dis, invoking the analyzer then searching labels for HookOrDie and see if you can find the call to it, or patch the conditional (on a guess that patch is a forced jump replacing a conditional).
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(03-22-2013, 05:15 PM)refraction Wrote: Unfortunately there seems to be some sort of weird copyright on demo discs, i assume so anyway as you can't seem to get them anywhere else lol, but that might just be because PS2's can't read burned discs.

To get that patch working, you will probably have to modify it to point to the correct address, but without knowing what the original one patches, i couldn't help. I suggest getting ps2dis, invoking the analyzer then searching labels for HookOrDie and see if you can find the call to it, or patch the conditional (on a guess that patch is a forced jump replacing a conditional).

Would it help if i posted all those labels? maybe someone can see what it actually does and implement it.

Ill try doing what you said with ps2dis. Thanks.
Also is there any way i can apply a patch while running an ELF file?

L.E: Nope cannot seem to find anything.
L.E.E: Uploaded screenie of dkernel strings. Hope it helps.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The labelbis in the middle. Go to it, press space on the reference start then press f3

(03-22-2013, 11:16 PM)refraction Wrote: The labelbis in the middle. Go to it, press space on the reference start then press f3

Did this already but i have no idea what to do next.
I'll attach a screenie.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

as i said, nor do i because i don't know what the original one patches, im presuming the function that calls that is what is skipped.

sad, well what can't be done can't be done and that is it unfortunately. Smile

ill keep looking for a non 300 Euro costing Demo Disc.
(03-22-2013, 11:25 PM)andutrache Wrote: Did this already but i have no idea what to do next.
I'll attach a screenie.

Out of curiosity what program are u using for debugging?
Ps2dis is the program

Has anything interesting been discovered or thought of to help fix this game?