Resolved: [Bug Report] Null dev9
I suspect that a lack of proper responses from the nulldev9 plugin is causing lockups and hanging in many games that use ethernet and the hdd. I believe in particular the entire NFL, MLB, NHL 2k series between 2k6 and 2k12..

There are patches for many games that use ethernet and hdd but a better fix would be proper null responses

Sponsored links

Those games don't work even with ethernet and hdd enabled so it's not only about null plugin. Looks like these games are waiting for some kind of response. Something is definitely missing which we have not figured out yet.
(04-27-2020, 06:33 PM)prafull Wrote: Those games don't work even with ethernet and hdd enabled so it's not only about null plugin. Looks like these games are waiting for some kind of response. Something is definitely missing which we have not figured out yet.
Those games used ethernet for online games and they used the hdd for video playback

Quote:North American releases with HDD supportEdit
ESPN NFL 2K5, NBA 2K5, ESPN College Hoops 2K5, ESPN MLB 2K5, and ESPN NHL 2K5 use the HDD to improve replays. (If the HDD is not installed, static screenshots are shown as replays. With the HDD, full cutscene-like replays can be displayed). ESPN NHL 2K5 has the ability to save files directly to the hard drive

MLB 2K6, 2K7, 2K8, 2K9, 2K10, 2K11 and 2K12 support saving to the HDD as well as the automatic installation of data for faster loading.

NBA 2K6, 2K7, 2K8, 2K9, 2K10, 2K11 and 2K12 support saving to the HDD as well as the automatic installation of data for faster loading.

NHL 2K6, 2K7, 2K8, 2K9 and 2K10 support saving to the HDD.

2K sports titles up to the 2K9 versions (except College Hoops, where it only applies to 2K6, 2K7 and 2K8 versions since there is no 2K9), also use the HDD to display recorded replays from game action. Without it, stills are shown in NBA games (during halftime and the end of the game) and no end-of-inning replays are shown in MLB.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStat...ansion_Bay

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...line_games
All those 2k games had online and hdd support

What chip in the ps2 is responsible for dev9? What isn't giving a proper response that there is no hdd or ethernet installed?
https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-ESPN-NFL...9-U--28699
https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-College-...US-21232-U

random crashes. needs a patch. i guarantee these patches are skipping some sort of hdd and/or ethernet check

a really good example in NHL 2K6. I get nothing but a black screen the NULL plugin and the log complains about "unknown device 'hdd'" with the hdd plugin it doesn't make that complaint instead it does this

loadmodule: fname cdrom0:¥VCDATA¥DATA¥HDD.IRX;1 args 11 arg -o
hdd: max open = 4, 10 buffers
hdd: 05:45:28 04/28/2020
ATA: error: ATA failed, -504
hdd: version 0203 driver start.

then it does this

loadmodule: fname cdrom0:¥VCDATA¥DATA¥NET¥NETCNF.IRX;1 args 86 arg icon=cdrom0:¥VCDATA¥DATA¥CNF¥SYS_NET.ICO;1
loadmodule: id 39, ret 2
loadmodule: fname cdrom0:¥VCDATA¥DATA¥NET¥EZNETCNF.IRX;1 args 0 arg
loadmodule: id 40, ret 2
loadmodule: fname cdrom0:¥VCDATA¥DATA¥NET¥INET.IRX;1 args 9 arg mem=64KB
INET (Version 1.96.0) DEBUG REMOVABLE
inet: mem=64KB thpri=48 thstack=8192
inet: debug=0x0 &debug=114c30 &free_{size,min}=114db4,114db8
loadmodule: id 41, ret 2
loadmodule: fname cdrom0:¥VCDATA¥DATA¥NET¥INETCTL.IRX;1 args 18 arg -no_auto
inetctl: Waiting I/F Event
inetctl: Waiting I/F Event
loadmodule: id 42, ret 2
loadmodule: fname cdrom0:¥VCDATA¥DATA¥NET¥LIBNET.IRX;1 args 0 arg
loadmodule: id 43, ret 2
loadmodule: fname cdrom0:¥VCDATA¥DATA¥NET¥EZNETCTL.IRX;1 args 0 arg
loadmodule: id 44, ret 2

and then it almost immediately crashes
Plugins no longer exist

Thank you for your report.
This bug report has now been marked as Resolved since it has been fixed on our code base.

This thread will now be closed and moved to the resolved bug reports subforum.