Resolved: [Bug Report] [Tales of the Abyss] - Constantly freezing.
Hey guys. I've been playing ToA with no problems at all loooong ago on some revision of PCSX2 that I don't remember, and never ran into this many issues as I am today.

Here's the story - I loaded up my game (memory card save, NOT a Savestate), and it works fine for a while, but eventually I notice that the sound in the menu suddenly stops working, and various other sound effects as well - When I enter a battle at this point, it still goes ok, but then as soon as the battle ends, it freezes.

SOMETIMES I get an error in the PCSX2 window log, stating EE: Unrecognized op 401 and also EE op 1 or something. (Sadly that one wasn't logged..)

I've read some threads saying to turn off speedhacks, because ToA apparently really hates speedhacks, so I turned them ALL off, but it still fails to stay stable. On top of that, it also greatly affects the overall performance of the game. It's at 60 FPS for the majority, but when I enter St. Binah for example, I get a 10-15 FPS drop that I normally didn't have.

Does anyone happen to know what could be causing all this?

Using PCSX2 r5761 / GSDX 5762 (MSVC 16.00, SSE41) 0.1.16 [Gsdx32-SSE4] / SPU2-X r5761.

For GSDX I have TC Offset X: 450, Y: 350 (Hardware Hack), to work around ghosting. I tried disabling the hardware hacks as well just to see if it helped, but no luck.

On the EE/IOP page I have Round Mode set to Chop/Zero now, but I also tried Positive. Clamping Mode is set to Normal.

On the VUs page, VU0 / VU1 Advanced Recompiler is left on its default settings (Chop/Zero), and Clamping Normal.

System Specs:
MOBO: Asus P6T Deluxe V2
RAM: 6 GB DDR3-1333
CPU: Intel Core i7-920 D0 @ 2.66 GHz
GFX Card: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 7850
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)

Sponsored links

Read my posts in this thread and try to follow it to a tee. I would also try remaking the .iso from the disc as a general suggestion.

Edit: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Tales-of-...#pid373715 (thread)
A mod might want to move this thread from Bug Report to the Windows page or something.
Ah sorry if it's in the wrong spot. I wasn't really sure whether to post it here or the General Support section, since I saw various posts being posted here about ToA and some over there too.

Figured it was more of a bug report, because I never ran into the freezing issues with an older revision. (Though I don't remember which revision it was :/ )

I've tried turning Clamping Mode on the EE/IOP page to None now, so far it hasn't frozen yet. (Someone in another topic happened to mention to try changing it to None). I have no idea what it does, or whether it's just a coincidence, but I'll continue trying (stressing the game really, opening Menu, entering battles, etc).

Going to download the custom DLL you posted as well for the ghosting thing. Thanks for the info you gave so far Smile
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
You followed the majority of the proper guidelines for posting a bug report, so I left it here for now.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
I think Clamping Mode might've been the culprit here. Haven't had a crash yet so far since turning it to NONE.

What exactly does it do anyways for it to cause crashes?
http://pcsx2.net/developer-blog/209-what...ed-it.html

For this game though, having beaten it recently, EE/IOP and VU should be set to default however, since you say you have no problems, keep it the way it is.

Did you also do everything that I asked about with the other thread?
Yeah I did. Though when I enabled mVU Flag Hack like you mentioned it triggered a freeze again, so I disabled that again.

The only thing in Speed Hacks that doesn't seem to cause a freeze/program crash is MTVU (recommended for 3+ cores thingy). It gives a huge speed boost too with this option enabled. I now get 60 FPS in every area, even the world map and St. Binah and every town encountered so far. So far so good, game's running smoothly with no crashes yet! Also configured the Hardware Hacks like you mentioned etc for the GSdx plugin. Looks like this might be a flawless run now from this point. Going to continue playing and see if I run into any more problems.

[Edit]
About having it default... Everything in EE/IOP is default except for Clamping Mode really. If I change that back to the default option (Normal) it will cause issues all over again. That's the only reason why I changed it. :/ But it does seem to do the trick when it's set to None so yeah.
Sounds good, it's just really odd that your having those types of issues. What version of PCSX2 are you using, and I assume you're running from an .iso of the disc right?
PCSX2 r5761.

And yeah it really is bizarre, because I haven't run into these problems with an older revision. Maybe some stuff got changed in the code for newer versions that somehow causes it. No idea.

And yup it's an ISO of the disc. Even went ahead and made a new one just in case it was a case of corruption of the file or whatever.