Resolved: [Bug report] Klonoa 2 (NTSC-US)
Ahh.. you mean I am going to get different versions at the SVN build to see which one is the best result or you are talking about downloading the latest one and see if it will improvement Klonoa 2 ?

Sponsored links

(11-08-2013, 08:52 PM)bearmon2010 Wrote: Ahh.. you mean I am going to get different versions at the SVN build to see which one is the best result or you are talking about downloading the latest one and see if it will improvement Klonoa 2 ?
I mean try the latest SVN, and see if the issue is fixed. Sometimes things get fixed in the latest SVN.
Same result except pond is black and klonoa's ears is flash with discoloration istead of white in page 2.
Hi. I've been having trouble with this game too, but I wasn't sure whether I should create a whole new thread or not, so I'll just put it here.

I'm not having the crashing problems most people seem to be having, but since the very beginning of the game, there have been extremely loud, ear-hurting noises that sound like microphone feedback, or sometimes television static. The only option in the entire emulator that isn't set to default is that GSdx 5334 is set to software rendering to fix black boxes around some objects.

For reference, I'm using the SPU2-X r5324 audio plugin. I tried to mess around with the options for that, but nothing worked, so I just set them back to default. I've also tested my headphones/speakers, and they aren't the things causing it, either.

If I should make a new thread for this since it's a different problem, or you need more information, just tell me and I'll check this when I can.

EDIT: I just thought to say that I've gotten Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex working, and I just downloaded PCSX2 earlier in the same day I started having problems, so it isn't an outdated emulator and I didn't screw up the install as far as I'm aware.

EDIT 2: Well, I must have done something right, since the weird sounds stopped. A new problem, though, is that sound effects are missing. All other sounds(background music, voices) are fine, but they seem to be the only sounds in the game now.
The sound is still (always was) broken in Klonoa 2. The effects you get are pretty much random, depending on the SPU2-X version used,
but they all stem from a really weird initialization sequence the game does.
I think ZeroSPU2 doesn't emulate the condition and thus works here.
(11-14-2013, 11:45 AM)rama Wrote: The sound is still (always was) broken in Klonoa 2. The effects you get are pretty much random, depending on the SPU2-X version used,
but they all stem from a really weird initialization sequence the game does.
I think ZeroSPU2 doesn't emulate the condition and thus works here.

Well, thanks anyway. I guess I'll just wait for the plugin to be updated and hope it gets fixed.
The sound CAN be made to work in klonoa 2, I found a configuration that's almost perfect, there's minor distortion in the sound but it works, and plays all music and sound effects no problem.

I found this solution using PCSX2 version 1.0, on SPU2-X version "SPU2-X r5324 2.0.0 [spu2-x-r5350]" to directly quote the plugin selector. You set the SPU2-X settings to XAudio 2, and most importantly Synchronising Mode: Async Mix, then turn the latency down to 3 or 4ms. If the latency is much higher, the sound just breaks again. This produces results that are pretty much perfect.
Muobman: Could you test SPU2-X revisions 5398 and 5399, see if those cause the problem?
(11-28-2013, 02:03 PM)rama Wrote: Muobman: Could you test SPU2-X revisions 5398 and 5399, see if those cause the problem?

Done, I tested r5398 and r5399, and also the most recent revision (r5765), all of them behave exactly the same way as described above, the audio does not function properly unless async mix is selected with minimal latency, at which point it works fine.

Interestingly, I can change the audio settings at any point when I'm actually in game (hell, it seems to even work at the title screen), and the audio continues to work. This also works if I savestate, then restart the emulator, then load it with the audio settings set however I want.

There's obviously something that these particular settings do or don't do in the startup sequence that makes the audio in klonoa 2 work.
Yes, it is in the startup sequence.
Under a broken SPU2-X the game keeps dma'ing data with the ADPCM streaming flag enabled.
It should have disabled the flag earlier but didn't.

So the problem started with r5398 then, based on your test.
That rev could affect it but it would be random bad luck then.