Resolved-Workaround: [Bug Report] Soul Reaver 2 [PAL]
(10-22-2015, 12:02 PM)FlatOut Wrote: I've uploaded the GS Dump and I can confirm the bug turns on and off when pressing the insert key in software mode.

That means it's a mipmapping issue, as we thought.

I didn't realize as many games do it as do though.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD

Sponsored links

(10-22-2015, 06:36 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: That means it's a mipmapping issue, as we thought.

I didn't realize as many games do it as do though.

I've played around with toggling the SW renderer's mipmapping. On some games, the effect is subtle - mipmapping seems to lower the quality of textures at a distance, making them blurrier. On other games e.g. Ace Combat series, Ape Escape series it cycles random textures on far-away polygons.
Quote:the effect is subtle - mipmapping seems to lower the quality of textures at a distance, making them blurrier.

That's pretty much what it's supposed to do https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mipmap
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Mipmapping provides a smaller version of a texture to put on a polygon when it's further away as scaling textures introduces "shimmering" and mipmapping essentially eradicates that
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(10-22-2015, 07:34 PM)refraction Wrote: Mipmapping provides a smaller version of a texture to put on a polygon when it's further away as scaling textures introduces "shimmering" and mipmapping essentially eradicates that

Any ETA for hardware mode mipmapping? Gregory?  Tongue
Any progress with this issue?
I fear we'll need to wait another couple of years for that. Tongue2
Not even the PC version of the game is playable anymore (on modern systems). The graphics quality on pcsx2 is great but the mipmap problem is reaaaaaaaally annoying. In software mode u'll get the same image quality as on the ps2 and a emulation in this way makes no sense for me. At least i'll try sr2 on my ps3 (backwards compatible).
(10-22-2015, 07:34 PM)refraction Wrote: Mipmapping provides a smaller version of a texture to put on a polygon when it's further away as scaling textures introduces "shimmering" and mipmapping essentially eradicates that

Yes but there is a catch. Globally mipmap is just a way to precompute an interpolation on multiple pixels (HW is limited to 2x2). So when you draw a sprite far away, the delta between 2x2 pixels could be a 8x8 textures. So instead, you will sample the mipmap 2x2 to have a perfect 1:1 sampling.

However upscaling will introduce some subpixels between the pixels. So instead to sample a 2x2 pixels square, you will now sample a 8x8 pixels square. This way you don't need to interpolate the texels of the texture, you have a nice 1:1 matching. On the contrary if you enable mipmaping, you will still sample 8x8 pixels but the texture layer will be only 2x2. You kind of lose all the details, I guess it would appears blocky as a standard zoom.

Quote: I've played around with toggling the SW renderer's mipmapping. On some games, the effect is subtle - mipmapping seems to lower the quality of textures at a distance, making them blurrier. On other games e.g. Ace Combat series, Ape Escape series it cycles random textures on far-away polygons.
On some games, it a matter of rouding the color which is then used as a pass/no-pass test (Light effect in Nocturne).
I'm probably answering my own question here; but I always found it funny that enabling mipmapping in SW mode always decreased FPS.