Rez (NTSC-U) graphics errors under GSdx
Question 
I was wondering if anyone had figured out a way to correct, uh, this. Apologies if it's shown up here before; it's hard to find stuff in search when the title's the same as a common abbreviation for 'resolution' and part of the name of, apparently, quite a few forums members.

(Tinypic links used because otherwise WALL OF IMAGES. And this thing's pretty much a WALL OF TEXT already.)

(control) Every other letter has a corner shadow. Along with the dialog 'buttons'.
(control) As do the disclaimer and marque images.
(control) And the title and interface text.
(control) Except in options. It may be an alpha thing, not an overlay. Although why it doesn't affect the text in options is beyond me.

(From here there are some differences because I can't play the game exactly the same every time. Character, stat and location differences should be disregarded.)

(control) Now that we're in the game itself, all the pause menu text is gone, along with the level and overdrive counts.
(control) And the event text. And apparently the top quarter of the screen is getting cloned across the whole thing or something.
(control) And the ... layer number!?
(control) So all event text, not just the stuff in the status window?
(control) And boss health bars, crosshair text and lock text!?
(control) Okay, looks like it's all the transition numbers. (But see the level select, where the 1 in 'Area 1 log-in' is still present. Maybe text switches off only when it actually goes into gameplay mode.)
(control) So the menu text is STILL MIA after we're back in the menu. Eeeee.

Specifications
Windows 7 x64 RC. Yes, I have updated DirectX. Yes, I have updated Visual C++ 2008 Runtime.
AMD Phenom II 940 Black Edition @ 3000 MHz x 4 core X 1 thread ea @ 1.35V
6 GB (2x2 + 2x1) OCZ PC2-6400 5-6-6-18 Dual Channel
Gigabyte GTX 260 216sp @ 630 MHz; Forceware 186.18
Asus M3N-HT Deluxe (780a @ stock, nForce 15.37; ADi AD1988B, SoundMAX 6570)
BenQ FP241VW @ 1920x1200x32bppx59.94Hz

Issues configuration
PCSX2 b1474, EERec, VU0rec, VU1rec, microVU0, microVU1, frame limited, no speedhacks, default advanced settings
GSdx r1476 SSE2 DX10 Hardware, weave bff, 640x448 (native) internal resolution, 4x3, all options off
SPU2-X 1.1.0, nearest interpolation, XAudio 2 output, no options checked, otherwise default
(DX9 Hardware not screencapped but similar enough on playthrough to not matter.)

Control configuration (Effects on speed and sound were noted upon plugin changes, but not video, and video's what I'm here for.)
PCSX2 b1474, EERec, VU0rec, VU1rec, microVU0, microVU1, frame limited, both with and without speedhacks in gameplay, default advanced settings
GSdx r1476 SSE2 (both DX9 Software and DX10 Software, with no immediately apparent visual differences between the two), weave bff, windowed, 4x3, all options unchecked
Various SPU configurations (through multiple plays), including the one in Issues side. I had to find something that would stop fighting with the GPU plugin over resources long enough to get me through an area.

Amateur diagnosis (IANASWC, IANQA): Something's up with GSdx Hardware and 2D elements in this game. (Or at least, with GSdx SSE2 Hardware and 2D elements in this game.) Maybe it can be fixed with driver tweaks. I don't know; I'm not sure I want to chance it blind. Alternating effects don't leave me too certain of that fix, though.

And before anyone asks, I tried under the ZeroGS/ZZogl line of plugins as well. The shadows went from top-left quarter to top half, and all the interface information was gone in play, except for a slight dark spot where the crosshair should have been. I didn't play that run much after that.

Sponsored links