Rogue Galaxy: Help reducing "thickness" of character outline shadows/comic borders?
Hey all, just a quick thing really. The game is pretty much running perfectly and looking great in OpenGL Hardware mode currently, however, the one slight grievance i'm having is that the outline, or the "comic border" or character outline shadow whatever you want to call it seems to remain quite thick and pronounced and I can't find a way to reduce it. Looking at the first main PCSX2 videos that appear on google/YouTube display the game much clearer and this effect significantly lower.

Pictures here contain Gsdx settings, PCSX2 version (which is: 1.5.0-dev-3387-g420f642f6) (is there a newer version out?)  and 3 examples of issue: https://imgur.com/a/KxdpkRQ

As for emulation settings/version it's the "preset 3: Balanced" version and version of the game is USA.

Any help would be appreciated, general specs are I5-6500 3.2ghz, 16gb RAM, GTX 1070, All 860 evo SSDs. Like i said no performance issues, just visual.

Sponsored links

(03-27-2020, 11:13 AM)Krakenous Wrote: Hey all, just a quick thing really. The game is pretty much running perfectly and looking great in OpenGL Hardware mode currently, however, the one slight grievance i'm having is that the outline, or the "comic border" or character outline shadow whatever you want to call it seems to remain quite thick and pronounced and I can't find a way to reduce it. Looking at the first main PCSX2 videos that appear on google/YouTube display the game much clearer and this effect significantly lower.

Pictures here contain Gsdx settings, PCSX2 version (which is: 1.5.0-dev-3387-g420f642f6) (is there a newer version out?)  and 3 examples of issue: https://imgur.com/a/KxdpkRQ

As for emulation settings/version it's the "preset 3: Balanced" version and version of the game is USA.

Any help would be appreciated, general specs are I5-6500 3.2ghz, 16gb RAM, GTX 1070, All 860 evo SSDs. Like i said no performance issues, just visual.
Im getting the same effect
It seems the same issue as in DQ VIII. Try checking "disable safe features" in opengl hack section.
(03-27-2020, 03:57 PM)ameppe Wrote: It seems the same issue as in DQ VIII. Try checking "disable safe features" in opengl  hack section.

That certainly improves it, thanks. Wonder if it's possible to remove the effect completely whilst keeping shadows.
I quickly watched a Ps4 and Ps2 version video and i noticed that black outline is there, so what you get with disable safe features option is accurate to the native software and not an emulation issue.

I don't think you can completely remove it without removing shadows too, they are both part of the same shader.
I've actually been getting along fine with it now, it's considerably less noticeable to the point i'd consider myself more than happy!