Running compressed files in 0.9.8
Hey guys, I'm new here and new to PCSX2 in general, and I have a question.

I have installed the program, bios and plugins, and everything works fine with the default plugins both from ISO and Plugin (albeit with slowdonws when ran from a physical DVD).

My question is: ISO files take up a lot of space on the computer, and NTFS compression changes a 4,3 GB file into a 3,55 GB one... still a lot. I've tried running compressed ISOs from zip and rar files, and the emulator says it can't find the ISO file.

I've tried compressing with the Linuz Plugin, and the compressed file is created with a satisfactory 2,3 GB bzip2 file... But when I try to run it it also can't find any ISOs and won't boot. I read that I must "run it with the plugin instead of the Boot -> Run CDVD" method, but I have no idea how to do that...

Is there any way to run an ISO on PCSX2 from a compressed folder other than NTFS compression?

Sponsored links

don't use compressed file function that you saw in linuz-ISO,leading this will result the compressed ISO unreadable on any cdvd-plug-in in pcsx2
and may even permanent damage to the ISO.

better mount the ISO w/o touching/pressing the compressed ISO thing next time.
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
So, is there any other way to run compressed files?

And on that note, mounting creates a virtual drive, but it won't makes the files themselves any smaller, will it? Because everything works the it's supposed to, I'm only aiming to save hardware space with the images...
Once you have compressed the file with linuz iso you can only run it again with linuz iso cdvd plugin (Select "Plugin" instead of "Iso" under the CDVD plugin then boot it normally). I'd really recommend just using NTFS compression tho.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Okay, got it, thanks - it's probably the only thing I haven't tried yet.

On that note, can the Linus program run other compressed formats, or only files that were compressed by itself?

Final question - how do you all manage your hardware space, in order to have a decent amount of games available? Do you run them from physical DVDs, or do you store the ISOs on your PC? I'm afraid having a load of 4+ GB files on my computer will slow it down considerably...
Only files compressed by Linuz itself.

And not all games are 4+GB, some can be as low as 1GB or even smaller if they're CD games (DVD9 games on the other hand can be as big as 7.9GB tho Tongue2). NTFS usually does the job for me.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Also filling up your hdd with big files, unless it's the windows partition and you've only let 500mb free or less, has no effect on performance.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Plus if you wanted to save space you can just do what I do. Just rip a couple of games that you will be playing for a while. When you get tired of them and are ready to play a new set just delete the ISO's and dump a few more games. It doesnt take too long to rip an iso so this method is good for space saving.
I use pakiso after I complete my games. It uses ECM and 7z to compress the ISO. Tried it with serious sam next encounter.
Original size = 1.1 GB
Compressed size = ~ 580 MB
I'm a lurker, but I figured I'd chime in. I have ~30 games that I bought over the lifecycle of my ps2, and they average around 3.5GB an iso. I did what Default suggests but more complicated:

The useful bit: All my games are ripped and then compressed by 7zip with LZMA2 - it's threaded so it's much faster than default 7z compression if you have a recent cpu, with similar final size.
The part that only applies if you're feeling automation-happy: I use XBMC as a front-end for my emulators, and one of the ROM browser plugins, which can figure out from the name of each .7z what game it is. To play one, I just pick it with the browser, which runs the command line 7zip command to decompress it to . . . %Documents%/PCSX2/game.iso (literally game.iso, so the previous game is overwritten), and then launches pcsx2. Downside is about a minute spent decompressing. Upside is there is only ever 1 decompressed game and pcsx2 automatically points at it as a "recent game."