Running games at 30FPS on purpose
Hey everyone, i've been enjoying playing tekken 5 on my pretty average laptop with good, stable FPS thanks to a low-end PC guide settings .ini which i found on these forums.

However, ive been urging to play GT4 as GT3 A-spec was one of my favourite games as a kid.

As everyone knows this is a intensive game, and i can run it with one car on the screen at around 50-ish FPS (needless to say the menus and all are fine).
BUT as soon as im in a race or viewing a car, its slow-motion city, not necessarily laggy but just slow as hell (like 35-fps).

My question is that could I cap the FPS at 30, and still get the game to run smooth (meaning no slow-motion).
Obviously its not going to be as smooth as 60FPS but what i mean is that you know how youtube videos are in 30FPS, they are still consistently at  1x speed but you can double the FPS to 60 and it becomes smoother but the speed remains the same.

Does capping a game at 30fps  inherently make it 2x slower? meaning ONLY at 60FPS a game will run at 100% speed. Because if there is a way to get games to run at 100% speed but at 30FPS then that would be ideal for me. I'm aware that maybe even capping it at 30FPS wont give me 100% speed because my computer's processor simply cant process it quick enough to give 100% speed, but im dubious that this is true because tekken ran at around 85% speed with normal settings but when tweaked it was a solid 60FPS in MOST arenas (the gold floor arena and the raining one tend to slow down a tiny bit, not in a gameplay-hurting way though).

EDIT: i've just messed around with some races, on certain tracks i can get 40-50FPS pretty consistently with other cars there. In 1st place i get around 55FPS. On other tracks where there are crowds and such i get around 35-40FPS with the other cars around me. On time trial i get consistent 50FPS. So this is just to say that the game is defintely playable with my specs but just not 'consistent'. (furthermore when viewing cars it goes down to around 30-35FPS but not lower)

My specs are:
Intel i3-5157U 2.50GHz (4 CPU's)
8 Gb Ram
Intel Iris 6100 (2k res)
Windows 10 64-Bit
Direct X12

Sponsored links

It doesn't work like videos. Output is only part of what makes a game run well.

I think there's an option in PCSX2 to lower the emulated clock speed of the PS2 CPU, and lowering that can cause the game to fallback on its own lag handling, which in some cases could result at the game locking at a lower framerate. I'd play around with stuff like cycle stealing and whatnot to see if it gives the desired effect. But, how lag is handled is determined per game and it may not work well or at all for these particular games.
Console games are very rarely designed with variable refresh rates in mind. (There are some developers who used this) Most games are keyed to a specific framerste and changing it will either slow the whole game down or sometimes just outright break the game. The general reason for this is that unlike PC games where there is a variety of hardware you have to program for, a console is one set of hardware. So you can use tricks to get the most out of it by doing things like keying animations to frame timings or other things to gain better visuals or performance.

Unfortunately this does mean that some games will not play well at different frame rates. You sometimes can use cheat codes to switch to a different framerate if the game is programed with different modes (generally safe). You can mess with the PS2's clock (unsafe), but this tends to break most games in one way or another.
(12-23-2017, 05:15 AM)TkSilver Wrote: Console games are very rarely designed with variable refresh rates in mind.  (There are some developers who used this)  Most games are keyed to a specific framerste and changing it will either slow the whole game down or sometimes just outright break the game.  The general reason for this is that unlike PC games where there is a variety of hardware you have to program for, a console is one set of hardware.  So you can use tricks to get the most out of it by doing things like keying animations to frame timings or other things to gain better visuals or performance.

Unfortunately this does mean that some games will not play well at different frame rates.  You sometimes can use cheat codes to switch to a different framerate if the game is programed with different modes (generally safe).  You can mess with the PS2's clock (unsafe), but this tends to break most games in one way or another.

Damn i never thought about it like that, that makes a lot of sense now. Perhaps ill just buy GranTurismo4 because at this point its probably dirt cheap and my PS2 might still work after all these years.
Our forum does not tolerate any kind of warez talk / discussion / links and no support will be given as such.
Read our rules,specifically rule #1. Thread closed.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go