Running games from folder instead of disk or iso?
I wonder if it is possible to run games from folder instead of disk or iso image?
And if not - is it possible to add such a feature in the future?

Sponsored links

All emulators i came across run games in format of either disc/cartridge,
iso or rom. I never seen any emulator run games in folder.
yes and no...
Sega CD games can work with iso + mp3 in the same folder.
it depends....
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(03-13-2020, 04:36 PM)sportster Wrote: All emulators i came across run games in format of either disc/cartridge,
iso or rom. I never seen any emulator run games in folder.

Check PPSSPP and to answer the question,in the PS2 case,no it is not possible(most games rely on a specific order of the files(in sectors which is not possible with a folder),specific size of the disk(which is also not possible with a folder)and specific disc type(not exactly file system but it's something like that,which is also not possible with a folder)
No I am asking about PS2 games...
I have a japanese game that I want to modify and as there is no (at least easy) way to modify ps2 iso files, then maybe there is a way to run games extracted from iso/disc...

EDIT: Thank you, vsub, for an answer and technical explanation!
You'd have an easier time reverse-engineering the game files to run on PC natively, which will still take decades and even then you might not be successful.

If you want to modify PS2 ISO's the two pieces of software that are known to be able to are ImgBurn and UltraISO. UltraISO is far more reliable than ImgBurn and works for more people, however it costs money.