Running on Core i5, ATI HD 4870
Question 
I am new to this emulation business here but I been trying to run Shadow of the Colossus on my PCSX2 Emulator with my spec Core i5 750 Overclocked and ATI HD 4870, way enough for the emulation(I thinkUnsure.) I am getting around 30 fps, so I something think this has to do with my configurations. If you need a look at my configuration I can post it, I think I have the latest plugin but who knows. The easier way for me is that you tell me all the configuration I should have to run this at efficient speed. Thanks to any incoming repliers~~~

Sponsored links

Shadow of the Colossus is kind of a special case, I think. It doesn't run as well as most other games.
What!? You are kidding me? Even a E2180 @ 3.2Ghz Could run it. ->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgyXToPKnMA I am sure a i5 could run it any day.

Oh yes I just remembered, I unoverclock'd my CPU just recently till I get my cooler. It was running on a CoolerMaster 212 which was fine but I was getting something else. Is ClockRate serious business in running these emulations? If so is there ways to boost it up? I don't wanna overclock it till I get my new heatsinks.

After several experiments, I enabled Speed hacks, which made it run toooo fast that it almost killed.... But then I set it to limits which allow me to play at 100%.
After figuring out most of everything by myself, I hope there is some useful information I could gain from this thread which otherwise would be rendered useless.
few questions:
1. How does Speed Hack X3 affect The Shadow of the Colossus?
2. Should I consider using a lower speed hack if it is running way over 100%?
3. Is there other games that require faster speed than this game I mentioned? I am looking into the Persona series and works by Gust
4. What other configuration should I be aware of to enhance my game play?
(03-02-2010, 06:05 AM)Caketan Wrote: After figuring out most of everything by myself, I hope there is some useful information I could gain from this thread which otherwise would be rendered useless.
few questions:
1. How does Speed Hack X3 affect The Shadow of the Colossus?
2. Should I consider using a lower speed hack if it is running way over 100%?
3. Is there other games that require faster speed than this game I mentioned? I am looking into the Persona series and works by Gust
4. What other configuration should I be aware of to enhance my game play?

1) It seems you're using the 0.96 version of pcsx2. You should try the latest beta since it has fixed lots of bugs and improved speed( can be found in the sticky thread section). I don't have the game, but it seems the latest beta fixed some bugs related to that game.
2) The less the speedhack you use the better because they tend to cause problems.
3) I am pretty sure you can run Persona series and the Gust games at full speed.
4) Try to use the forum search function. Just type in the game names, you will find the solution in seconds.
AMD Athlon II 245 @ 3.55ghz, 9600GT @730mhz 1115mhz, vista sp2 32bit
Also, I believe the newer revisions of gsdx have a hack specifically for SoC. Perhaps you should investigate the forum as CKL suggested before rendering the forum useless.
Laptop
Intel Core 2 Duo PM8600 @ 2.4 GHz
4 GB DDR3 1066 RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670 512 MB

Desktop
AMD Phenom II x2 550 (unlocked to 4)@ 3.5ghz
4 GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Sapphire 5770 1GB
(03-02-2010, 03:26 AM)Caketan Wrote: What!? You are kidding me? Even a E2180 @ 3.2Ghz Could run it. ->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgyXToPKnMA I am sure a i5 could run it any day.

youtube videos can't be trusted as thay are usually faster than actual gameplay.
Quote:Is ClockRate serious business in running these emulations? If so is there ways to boost it up? I don't wanna overclock it till I get my new heatsinks.

yes it is. a 3.8 Ghz Dual core should be ok to run most at full speed.

Quote:After several experiments, I enabled Speed hacks, which made it run toooo fast that it almost killed.... But then I set it to limits which allow me to play at 100%.
AFAIK, Vu cycle steal works well with shadow of the Colossus. But keep in mind that this game is an extremely demanding one, compared to any other.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go