Runs slow-mo, don't know if hardware is enough.
It may just be that may hardware is insufficient, but whenever I try to play Ratchet and Clank (haven't tried any other games) it runs really slowly for the most part (slow-motion, not framerate). I have enabled speedhacks using its default settings (helped a little), tried several different Frame Skipping combos (no real increase in speed, just bumped the amount the GPU was used from around 80% to 30%), and setup GSD to use D3D11 (hardware) default settings.
Computer specs:
Win 7 64 bit
6Gb ram
nVidia GTS 450
AMD Athlon II x2 245 (2.9Ghz, dual core)
Not sure if there is anything else I should try to configure or my computer isn't enough to run pcsx2.

BTW, in Ratchet and Clank textures have weird scaling and positioning until I move right next to them, is this normal?

Sponsored links

Ratchet & Clank 1 and 2 doesn't work (at good speed) in hardware mode (haven't you noticed the graphical glitches?) Use software mode.

We kind of just discussed this in another thread.

Also no your hardware is not amazing so go easy on the quality settings.'

Use latest SVN and recommended speedhacks (except MTVU).
Thanks for replying. I never thought about it being just a R&C issue. I Downloaded the latest SVN and set it to software mode, and it is still really slow (although it did fix the texture issue). Is there any graphic options I can turn down to make it run faster?
Run it in native resolution and use all speedhacks except fast disc access.

I guess you're free to see if MTVU helps you any, but you're running a dual core and it's recommended to have 3+ cores - so if it does nothing or gets worse or crashes, bugs up, etc - disable it. It's an AMD so I don't expect anything great out of this.

You're free to play around with the EE and VU sliders to test for differences but those are touchy and usually end up causing problems more than helping - but in some games they're great.

Now these are all in the plugin settings : I think Dual core processors are what, 4 threads? Okay, so set the "Extra rendering threads" to 2 or something. not sure though, run into problems then you should set 0.

Enable HW hacks and use different skipdraw settings. It'll mean that layers of graphics won't be loaded, but it might cause speedups with little loss to graphics. The higher the setting, the more layers you lose though. If you start sacrificing too much for too little of a speedup then it's best to just leave disabled.

These are in the emulator settings as well -

In the GS Window Tab - Check "Dynamically Toggle Vsync" or just don't have any checked. Vsync takes extra power and is only useful at high framerates.

VU tab - Clamping - Test it at none. If you run into problems, return it to normal. None is the fastest setting, but graphic quality may lower a tad I'm pretty sure.

EE/IOP tab - Clamping - Same as VU.

Lastly is Frame Skipping in the GS tab.

Try setting it at "Constant Skipping" and setting Frames to Draw to "2" and Frames to Skip to "1". You're free to mess around with it a bit.

These are all things you can do. It's best you do the minimal of them for good quality, but this is all for better speed.

Edit : Oh, and make sure your power plan is set to high perfomance and check your NVIDIA CP to make sure that it's in "Single Display Performance Mode" (Assuming you're using one display) and the power management set to "Maximum Performance".

Edit 2 : Starting to use colored text because f*ck you that's why. Actually it just makes me feel important.

COMIC SANNSSSSSS (I'd use Imprint MT Shadow but I don't because many people don't have that font installed).
*off topic*

nice choice of colours lol, made my eyes cooled a bit when reading your long post Tongue2
I was influenced by you, of course.

Too bad permanent color changing isn't possible, sucks to put in that extra code every time.

True blue is hard on the eyes so I went with light blue.

Edit : Update us when you can, Zag.
Well even after trying the safer settings and setting frame skip to 1:1 it still ran at around 25 fps (I am now thinking that fps affects the game speed) which is better than the 15 I was getting before, except that most 2d elements don't appear. I read here that hw only affects hardware rendering, and I still don't understand how to enable it.

Quote:I think Dual core processors are what, 4 threads?
I doubt that my processor is hyper-threaded, but I did set Extra Rendering Threads to 1 and that gave it on average a 3-5 fps boost.

Thanks for the reply.
(06-11-2012, 07:21 PM)Zag Wrote: Well even after trying the safer settings and setting frame skip to 1:1 it still ran at around 25 fps (I am now thinking that fps affects the game speed) which is better than the 15 I was getting before, except that most 2d elements don't appear. I read here that hw only affects hardware rendering, and I still don't understand how to enable it.

I doubt that my processor is hyper-threaded, but I did set Extra Rendering Threads to 1 and that gave it on average a 3-5 fps boost.

Thanks for the reply.

FPS==> Abbreviation for Frames per second.
It does not effect gameplay rather it shows at what speed your computer is rendering the game.
Hence,
More FPS means faster gameplay and vice versa means slow motion gameplay.
Intel E5700 @3.0Ghz,
Xfx Radeon 5670 1Gb,
4Gb DDR3 Ram,
Microsoft Windows7 Ultimate x86
(06-11-2012, 08:20 PM)Speedy42 Wrote: FPS==> Abbreviation for Frames per second.
It does not effect gameplay rather it shows at what speed your computer is rendering the game.
Hence,
More FPS means faster gameplay and vice versa means slow motion gameplay.
I know, with most computer games' frames per second will just make the gameplay choppy, but at full speed. I figured that 60 fps is what pcsx2 is supposed to run at (100%) so if it was rendering 20 fps it would be running
at 33% game speed because of the emulation process and not a graphical issue of rendering to the screen.