SFF PC using 4th gen CPU's
Hello all, it's been a while, anyway I have a Dell Optiplex 7020 with a 4th gen i5 in it (i5-4570) that I'm wanting to turn into a SFF (Small Form Factor) gaming/emulation PC. PCSX2 is one of the goals.

As mentioned before it's been a while since I've been here so I am unsure what the current system requirement landscape looks like anymore. I know that PCSX2 has typically been one of the most CPU intensive emulators out there so I was wondering if this i5 is up to snuff or if I should look into upgrading (the board is verified for up to an i7-4770 according to Dell's compatibility testing). I'm also curious if there's any notable difference in system requirements between the Windows and Linux builds as I'm actually leaning towards using Linux but if absolutely necessary I may dual boot to get better performance. TDP is actually a concern here as the relatively weak PSU I believe is running near its max with a graphics card attached. A CPU that lowers the 84W TDP of the current CPU would be ideal.

Current CPU
Potential Upgrade
Potential Upgrade 2
Potential Upgrade 3
All Compatible CPU's

I've already decided on an Nvidia GPU (1650 is the best GPU available that fits my case and power budget) as I know in the past there has been a lot of issues with getting AMD drivers to play nicely with many backends. I'm certain the GPU is more than powerful enough so I'm not really worried about it.

Sponsored links

I ran PCSX2 on an i5 3570k for 7 years before I recently upgraded, it was able to handle any game I threw at it, the gpu isn't as big a deal unless you want to go crazy with internal resolution,

I've heard people say that Linux runs better for them and some that say it's worse, not sure as I haven't used it myself.
-PC Specs-
AMD Ryzen 3600
16gb DDR4 Corsair 3200mhz
MSI Armor Radeon RX580 8gb 
Windows 10 Pro x64 
-Laptop Specs-
i7 6700HQ @ 2.9Ghz
8gb DDR3 
GTX 960m 4GB
Windows 10 Pro x64
(01-26-2020, 11:03 PM)Zangetsu21 Wrote: I ran PCSX2 on an i5 3570k for 7 years before I recently upgraded, it was able to handle any game I threw at it, the gpu isn't as big a deal unless you want to go crazy with internal resolution,

I've heard people say that Linux runs better for them and some that say it's worse, not sure as I haven't used it myself.

Used to run it on an i5-3470 years ago back then my Radeon 6850 was the limiting factor xD. But thanks, good to know the CPU requirements haven't really jumped. May still look into an upgrade for other reasons though.
Yeah the requirements haven't changed, the emulator just got some updates and I find it more stable.

Always good to upgrade Smile
-PC Specs-
AMD Ryzen 3600
16gb DDR4 Corsair 3200mhz
MSI Armor Radeon RX580 8gb 
Windows 10 Pro x64 
-Laptop Specs-
i7 6700HQ @ 2.9Ghz
8gb DDR3 
GTX 960m 4GB
Windows 10 Pro x64