SOCOM Series - Input Device Options
Hey guys. New poster here just introducing themselve;. I've been a fan of the SOCOM series ever since I got it on PS2, and after 8 years I'm coming back to play it.

But, there's an obstacle.

You see I currently nowadays use a Logitech F310 gamepad to play most controller-based games available on the PC, which is perfectly fine in games like Dark Souls and Naruto and such, but when it comes to first person shooters or third person shooters, the Logitech is infamously known for it's horrible hardware deadzone, and frankly I cannot enjoy playing SOCOM with a controller like this if I can't even hit my enemies like I used to. You either turn slowly or overaim, and it happens 90% of the time. 

Crouch-walking especially is a pain in stealth missions (practically when I have to move the stick as little as possible only to walk at the speed of a worm; any more than that makes me dart straight off into running. And even then, the F310 has digital triggers and not analog ones, I cannot even crouch with the exception of the first SOCOM, where you can just go through all stances just by tapping the button.

I considered using a keyboard and a mouse to play, and the aiming is IMO, better at least even if the acceleration speed is uniform. Crouching and crouch-walking are still problems, I can only stand-prone, and because it's a keyboard, I go straight into running if I just hit a key (because it counts as a hard/full press).

I did see gameplay of SOCOM however with someone claiming to use a keyboard and mouse as well. He was able to crouch, and even crouch walk.

Are there a bunch of in-game settings that I'm missing that allows you to only crouch-walk while crouching or what? Or maybe even Lilypad settings that allows me to use a key at half-sensitivity or something. Note that what I'm asking applies to most of the PS2 SOCOM games.

At this point I'm considering just buying a PS3 DS3 controller just because of a single control issue.

Using PCSX2 v1.5.0. It works on 1.4.0 as well, but I don't think PAD settings change throughout versions.

Sponsored links

(02-27-2017, 11:10 AM)Unkn0wnRealm Wrote: You see I currently nowadays use a Logitech F310 gamepad to play most controller-based games available on the PC, which is perfectly fine in games like Dark Souls and Naruto and such, but when it comes to first person shooters or third person shooters, the Logitech is infamously known for it's horrible hardware deadzone, and frankly I cannot enjoy playing SOCOM with a controller like this if I can't even hit my enemies like I used to. You either turn slowly or overaim, and it happens 90% of the time.
You should be able to reduce the extend of the analog stick issue in recent v1.5.0 git builds by using skipdeadzone for the analog sticks. Just select the inputs you assigned for the analog sticks and you can modify the deadzones.

(02-27-2017, 11:10 AM)Unkn0wnRealm Wrote: Crouch-walking especially is a pain in stealth missions (practically when I have to move the stick as little as possible only to walk at the speed of a worm; any more than that makes me dart straight off into running. And even then, the F310 has analog triggers and not pressure-sensitive ones, I cannot even crouch with the exception of the first SOCOM, where you can just go through all stances just by tapping the button.
I assume you mean the F310 has digital triggers, because analog trigger would be pressure sensitive. Wink

(02-27-2017, 11:10 AM)Unkn0wnRealm Wrote: I considered using a keyboard and a mouse to play, and the aiming is IMO, better at least even if the acceleration speed is uniform. Crouching and crouch-walking are still problems, I can only stand-prone, and because it's a keyboard, I go straight into running if I just hit a key (because it counts as a hard/full press).

I did see gameplay of SOCOM however with someone claiming to use a keyboard and mouse as well. He was able to crouch, and even crouch walk.

Are there a bunch of in-game settings that I'm missing that allows you to only crouch-walk while crouching or what? Or maybe even Lilypad settings that allows me to use a key at half-sensitivity or something. Note that what I'm asking applies to most of the PS2 SOCOM games.
Yes, you can do that in LilyPad. When using a keyboard it's easy to set up several keys for the same button and give all of 'em different sensitivity settings. Just click on the inputs you assigned to the crouch/stance button and give 'em different sensitivity values.
(02-27-2017, 01:27 PM)FlatOut Wrote: You should be able to reduce the extend of the analog stick issue in recent v1.5.0 git builds by using skipdeadzone for the analog sticks. Just select the inputs you assigned for the analog sticks and you can modify the deadzones.

F310 has a built-in hardware deadzone by default, I don't think any kind of software setting is going to change that. I've fiddled around with the deadzone/skip/sens settings and only lowering the sensitivity seems to get it to do what I want but it lowers the thumb sticks to permanently half the speed. 

Quote:Yes, you can do that in LilyPad. When using a keyboard it's easy to set up several keys for the same button and give all of 'em different sensitivity settings. Just click on the inputs you assigned to the crouch/stance button and give 'em different sensitivity values.

But wouldn't that be a giant mess? Say have W as Left Stick UP 1.00, and then have U as Left Stick UP 0.50. That'd be so many buttons to memorize just to do a simple thing. Unless there's an option to add extra or multiple buttons to a keybind, like have W as Left Stick UP 1.00, and W + SHIFT as Left Stick UP 0.50
Hmm. Even better might be to have a modifier key that changes the sensitivity of various buttons. Then you could set the sensitivity for both normal controls and the controls using shift.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(02-27-2017, 03:10 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: Hmm. Even better might be to have a modifier key that changes the sensitivity of various buttons. Then you could set the sensitivity for both normal controls and the controls using shift.

Actually, the TwinPad plugin does half of the job right even though TwinPad was made specifically for keyboard and mouse usage, but it doesn't really seem like an alternate solution for me right now. Basically the other half is a lost hope (no offense to TwinPad devs) because you can't set analog stick movement to the mouse's x and y axis movement. In short, press right mouse button to pull and aim the stick IN THIS DIRECTION, which defeats the purpose of free look.

Do note though that TwinPad has a key binding pretty much what Nobb described as, it toggles input sensitivity from FULL to HALF. It's not perfect with every game though, and especially with SOCOM, I can crouch walk now yes, but I can't toggle stances even though button sensitivity drops to half. 

It turns out the exact sensitivity you need to have for a button to register "tapping" is around 0.200 of it's normal sensitivity, this allows me to only go stand/crouch though and not stand/prone. It would make sense now to have 2 keys to toggle stance, but I don't really see myself binding 2 sets of movement keys, one for running and one for walking, it's just a complicated mess.

Now try incorporating TwinPad's sensitivity toggle into LilyPad's configuration, it could be an even bigger mess or an easier solution.
I could easily add a sensitivity modifier to LilyPad. You could even assign several, Like say binding one to the Shift button which uses half, and another to CTRL which uses 0.200(you could modify the sensitivy just like a normal button). You would just need a little patience for it to get merged into PCSX2. Tongue2
(02-27-2017, 04:16 PM)FlatOut Wrote: I could easily add a sensitivity modifier to LilyPad. You could even assign several, Like say binding one to the Shift button which uses half, and another to CTRL which uses 0.200(you could modify the sensitivy just like a normal button). You would just need a little patience for it to get merged into PCSX2. Tongue2

That's awesome, though I wouldn't need that many modifiers to begin with though, the only real problem was having a second set of keys to "walk" with, this will definitely fix it, much like a "toggle run/walk". The tapping isn't an issue though as I only need to bind one action to two keys with alternating sensitivities, one for stand/prone, and another for stand/crouch, so like C is crouch at 0.2 and V is prone at 1.0.

I would like to add though, there should be an option for the sensitivity modifier to only modify the keys it's configured for rather than all the bindings, so like the SHIFT key is a 0.5 sensitivity modifier for bindings W, A, S and D, though my case isn't the only example of when you might want the modifier to do different things. I wouldn't have to want to move my mouse only to turn slower than a turtle though so. 

Lastly, maybe add in a "Press to toggle/Hold to toggle" option for the modifier?  Wink
Does anyone know if the Wooting Analog keyboard is compatible with Pcsx2? If so that would be a game-changer with SOCOM.
If you own it, best way would be to try yourself Smile
(02-27-2017, 04:16 PM)FlatOut Wrote: I could easily add a sensitivity modifier to LilyPad. You could even assign several, Like say binding one to the Shift button which uses half, and another to CTRL which uses 0.200(you could modify the sensitivy just like a normal button). You would just need a little patience for it to get merged into PCSX2. Tongue2

Do you mean by using a macro program such as autohotkey, macro-gamer, etc? Or do you mean a mod for lilypad that you have created yourself? I've tried several different methods to simply have w, a, s, d as walk and shift + w,a,s,d as run but have never been able to get it right. Any help would be amazing.