[SOLVED]Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine"
Unable to start pcsx2 on Ubuntu 15.10

Hi to all! First time here.
I didn't find a similar thread so I will ask it:
I installed pcsx2 in Ubuntu 15.10 x64 from latest ppa. When I try to run it I get this error:

Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine"

Should I install gtk2-engines-murrine:i386 or something else?

I run Windows version ePSXe in Ubuntu via wine and it runs great, better than Linux version. Is it better for Linux users to run Windows version of pcsx2 via wine or a native one?

Sponsored links

Quote: Should I install gtk2-engines-murrine:i386 or something else?
Worth a try. If the theme depends on the platform, you will need to install the i386 version.

Quote: I run Windows version ePSXe in Ubuntu via wine and it runs great, better than Linux version. Is it better for Linux users to run Windows version of pcsx2 via wine or a native one?
Hum, I guess it depends on the speed of the GPU drivers. If wine has workaround to compensate driver issue, it could be better. Otherwise if you have a real driver (Nvidia for example), native will be likely better.
(12-16-2015, 05:34 PM)gregory Wrote: Worth a try. If the theme depends on the platform, you will need to install the i386 version.

Hum, I guess it depends on the speed of the GPU drivers. If wine has workaround to compensate driver issue, it could be better. Otherwise if you have a real driver (Nvidia for example), native will be likely better.

OK, I will try.  I have Intel integrated HD4000. 
Intel drivers are better on linux. I guess windows performance would be worse than linux. At least gs-wise. I guess the core is more or less the same on linux vs windows (?).
(12-16-2015, 08:59 PM)willkuer Wrote: Intel drivers are better on linux.

Wat?

I didn't know that.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Obviously because it is not true.

I read some benchmark some time ago that I considered trustworthy. Nvidia (or AMD.. but only one of both) and Intel performed similarly between OS in this report. Only the third one was far behind.
Combining that with the knowledge that Intel Windows driver can crash pcsx2 and OGL driver seems more stable on Linux anyway I recommended Linux.

But now I can not find that benchmark or a similar one anymore. Almost all state that windows is slightly in front. Even if the gap gets smaller it is still present.

So sorry about that. While wine is probably worse than native linux, native windows would be probably better (and has Dx11 support). It's possible though that the recommended OGL renderer doesn't work.
Win dx is likely the best. However gl will be better on linux (wine or native)
Finaly, I managed to make it work on Ubuntu 15.10 x64.
Firstly, I installed multiarch:

Code:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get update

Then added Gregory's ppa 

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:gregory-hainaut/pcsx2.official.ppa
sudo apt-get update

and managed to install pcsx2 in Ubuntu 15.10 x64 with a command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install pcsx2-unstable:i386

I hope this will help other newbies like me. I tried to install pcsx2 for one week without any luck. Finaly, I found why it was not working. It was because of this bug

https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues/949

Thanks guys for developing Linux version and keep up the good work!