SSE3, am I supposed to be able to use it?
I have an AMD A8 3500M 1.5 Ghz Quad Core CPU/APU that apparently supports SSE3, at least according to the log:

x86 Features Detected:
MMX.. SSE.. SSE2.. SSE3
MMX2 .. 3DNOW .. .. 3DNOW2 .. SSE4a

Yet, I'm only able to load the SSE2 Gsdx plugin, the SSE3 one refuses to load with an error that it isn't supported by my CPU.

I read the config guide and apparently there's an AMD specific SSSE3 instruction set too with an extra S (yet the log doesn't mention it). So I'm pretty confused, can any AMD cpus other than the newest FX series use anything other than SSE2?

Another thing, is the performance difference between SSE4.1 and SSE2 really that major? I can run less demanding games like Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy X just fine at full speed even with 4x antialiasing and my native resolution of 1600x900 even as it is. For comparison I had an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz CPU on my earlier laptop that's about 25%(+) slower than this one in all benchmarks save for the fact that that it had SSE4.1.

Sponsored links

SSSE3 (SSE3.01) is not supported on the K10 marchitecture
SSE3 and SSSE3 are not the same, It confuses a lot of people, Intel should of used a different name for it, like Squal said your processor doesnt support the SSSE3 instruction set.

The performance difference from sse4.1 and sse2 is probably minor in the 1-10% range depending on how heavily its relying on the instructions, and depending on the CPU for example the AMD FX processors will get actually worse performance with sse4 then the sse2 plugin, Intel processors usually fully benefit from the higher sse instructions.
(06-30-2012, 01:25 AM)hyakki Wrote: SSE3 and SSSE3 are not the same, It confuses a lot of people, Intel should of used a different name for it, like Squal said your processor doesnt support the SSSE3 instruction set.

The performance difference from sse4.1 and sse2 is probably minor in the 1-10% range depending on how heavily its relying on the instructions, and depending on the CPU for example the AMD FX processors will get actually worse performance with sse4 then the sse2 plugin, Intel processors usually fully benefit from the higher sse instructions.

What about between SSSE3 and SSE4.1 Intel quad core processors?
Okay, thanks for the answers, good to know it isn't a bug or anything.