SSX3 Widescreen problem
Question 
Hi everyone.

I've been playing SSX3 on the emulator for some time now and I have always played it in 4:3 aspect ratio like so,

[Image: 11354982.th.png]

I did not use the 16:9 option in the 'Config -> Video -> Window Settings' window because I didn't want the image to be stretched sideways to fit the screen.

Anyway, last week I realised that SSX3 actually has a widescreen option in the menu menu settings. The result would be perfect if it actually fit the screen/window instead of leaving a black border around the entire thing. This is what it looks like with it enabled,

[Image: 169a.th.png]

If I also enable 16:9 on PCSX2 as well as leaving 16:9 enabled on SSX3, then this happens,

[Image: 169widescreen.th.png]

Obviously all I want to do is make the SSX3 16:9 option fill as much of the screen as possible,

[Image: 169cn.th.png]

I am running PCSX2 0.9.7 on GSdx9 (Direct3D9 (Hardware)) with the D3D internal res at 1920 x 1080.

My system specs are as follows,

Intel i7 920 @ 3.2GHz
6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator RAM
Nvidia GTX295 graphics card
My monitor is obviously a 1920 x 1080 resolution screen...

If I use Direct3D10 and I try and resize the game window or switch to full screen, the image will disappear and will only return if I restore the window to the exact same size that it was at before. It sometimes runs SSX3 very very slowly too and requires several 'Close PCSX2, Re-op PCSX2' before it will play regular speed. Even when it does work, I am not allowed to re-size the window or switch to full screen once the game has started. This is why I am using Direct3D9 instead of 10.

Has anyone else had this problem and more importantly, does anyone know how to fix this and get the 16:9 mode to fill as much of the screen as possible?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored links

Just make sure to choose 16:9 AND the actual screen resolution set to 16:9, for instance 1600x900; 1920:1080...

search the web for a complete list of possible options. Better yet, your "monitor's manual/video driver" for accepted resolutions, since it's windowed just keep the aspect ratio, going full screen fall back to your native monitor resolution.

IMPORTANT
that is done in the "Window Settings" and not the internal resolution, the plugin should be set to some multiplier like x2; x3...
Imagination is where we are truly real
So run 4:3 in the game and 16:9 in the emulator... Hope this helps :]

EDIT: Ooops no stretch... right.
E5500 @ 3.6Ghz PNY DDR2 @850Mhz 5-5-5-14 ** GTS250 ECO @ 683/1674/1018
(03-17-2011, 02:20 PM)Clawz114 Wrote: I did not use the 16:9 option in the 'Config -> Video -> Window Settings' window because I didn't want the image to be stretched sideways to fit the screen.

It looks like the game is imposing fake black bars along the top and bottom, so choosing 16:9 in the window settings should be ok. Might look wierd till you load the game and change the aspect, but once youve changed it, it should look ok
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

*edit*

I've just realised that the 16:9 option in-game does exactly the same thing as the 16:9 option in the window settings. In other words, it just stretches the image out across the screen rather than keeping everything in proportion and just giving you a wider field of view.

Damn, my mistake. I should have realised that earlier. Do all PS2 games with a widescreen option just stretch the image out instead of widening your field of view?
I don't know what happens with this game, but Star Ocean 3, Final Fantasy XII, do what is expected from them running widescreen... no stretching, just a wider screen, no black bars or whatever.

Just the aspect ratio (4:3 or 16:9) must be the same in the game option and in the "window Settings" and, of course, the resolution there set to be compliant with the chosen aspect ratio.

Of course a 16:9 monitor can't run fullscreen 4:3 without vertical bars or stretching but this is taken for granted and understood.
(03-18-2011, 01:27 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: I don't know what happens with this game, but Star Ocean 3, Final Fantasy XII, do what is expected from them running widescreen... no stretching, just a wider screen, no black bars or whatever.

Just the aspect ratio (4:3 or 16:9) must be the same in the game option and in the "window Settings" and, of course, the resolution there set to be compliant with the chosen aspect ratio.

Of course a 16:9 monitor can't run fullscreen 4:3 without vertical bars or stretching but this is taken for granted and understood.

I understand.

I've tried a few things and realised that the 16:9 option in-game does not actually give you a wider field of view. It literally just stretches the image out from 4:3 to 16:9. They took the lazy approach when they added that option into the game by the looks of things Tongue

I realised this when I took a 4:3 screenshot and then a 16:9 screenshot, then stretched the 4:3 image to be the same size as the 16:9 image and they are both identical. Neither of them has a wider field of view, so the option does just stretch the image out.

Oh well. I will just live with 4:3. Thanks for everyone's input though!
A wider screen would mean increased processing load on the PS2.
(DQ8 for example shows this by going down a few FPS in PCSX2 when using the widescreen option.)
For this reason some PS2 devs could've just taken the easy route out, like in your case Wink
@Clawz114
To get correct widescreen you need 3 things...
1- the aspect ratio is choose 16:9 at the "Window Settings"
2- the resolution is set accordingly at the "window Settings", 1600x900 as example
3- the game option is set to 16:9 (it's assumed it has the option)

I don't understand what is the problem at all, so is to be assumed the game is not rendering proper 16:9.
Of course if one the above 3 conditions is not met, the image will have bars or be stretched.
(03-19-2011, 08:40 PM)rama Wrote: A wider screen would mean increased processing load on the PS2.
(DQ8 for example shows this by going down a few FPS in PCSX2 when using the widescreen option.)
For this reason some PS2 devs could've just taken the easy route out, like in your case Wink

Damn, looks like I'm out of luck then.

(03-19-2011, 10:51 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: @Clawz114
To get correct widescreen you need 3 things...
1- the aspect ratio is choose 16:9 at the "Window Settings"
2- the resolution is set accordingly at the "window Settings", 1600x900 as example
3- the game option is set to 16:9 (it's assumed it has the option)

I don't understand what is the problem at all, so is to be assumed the game is not rendering proper 16:9.
Of course if one the above 3 conditions is not met, the image will have bars or be stretched.

I've just set everything like you said in your list and this is what I get,

[Image: aaasw.th.png]

For reference, this is how the text should look in its un-stretched form.

[Image: aaaaaaaaaan.th.png]

(03-19-2011, 10:51 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: so is to be assumed the game is not rendering proper 16:9.

This