Sandy Bridge = BIG improvement
I have an Intel Core I7 950 OC'ed to 4.0Ghz, and was wondering if I'd see a significant improvement in PCSX2 if I upgraded to a Sandy Bridge? I can play Ridge Racer V but it still gets choppy in some places on most tracks. Sad Can anyone with a SB play Ridge Racer V without any lag/slowdown whatsoever?

Sponsored links

4ghz is enough for any game, it's silly to even consider going from Nehalem to Sandy Bridge because the main reason would be for better OC'ability (ex: 4.5ghz vs 4.0ghz). If you're getting bad fps it's related to the gsdx plugin version or your graphics card. I have to use an older version of gsdx if I want double the framerate in SC3, and if I want good FPS in ZOE2 I have to play with an Nvidia card.
(09-16-2011, 12:14 PM)synce Wrote: 4ghz is enough for any game, it's silly to even consider going from Nehalem to Sandy Bridge because the main reason would be for better OC'ability (ex: 4.5ghz vs 4.0ghz). If you're getting bad fps it's related to the gsdx plugin version or your graphics card. I have to use an older version of gsdx if I want double the framerate in SC3, and if I want good FPS in ZOE2 I have to play with an Nvidia card.

There are two things better with SB and that is better OC and newer technologies overall which you can research on Intel's website.
I agree with synce on this one. Most likely your bottleneck isn't the cpu, and even if it is (unlikely) 950 isn't a slouch on OC'ability, get a better cooler and set your highest clock.
Well one thing's for certain, my gpu(ATI 5870) isn't bottlenecking it that's for sure. I think this is just one of the few games in PCSX2 that still struggles with when comes to maintaining a rock solid framerate at all times.

I hope some day rama and the rest of the devs will figure out what's wrong with RRV, and work on improving not only the framerate but the screwed up looking cars as well. Once this happens, I can finally die a happy man Smile
Actually that could very well be the reason... http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Nvidia-ATI-AMD
(09-15-2011, 06:02 PM)refraction Wrote: Glad you're happy Smile if only everybody would go intel haha

This would be actually pretty bad. Monopolies promote horrendous prices and technologicial stagnation, since there is no need improve.
Intel i5 3450
AsRock B75-Pro3-M
Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC
8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB
Seagate 7200.14 1TB x2
Enermax Triathlor 450W PSU
(09-17-2011, 03:09 PM)SamSoNight Wrote: This would be actually pretty bad. Monopolies promote horrendous prices and technologicial stagnation, since there is no need improve.

HAIL Intel! HAIL Intel! *Drowns out SamSoNight*
<REDACTED>
I really support Intel and Nvidia, but without any competition Intel would slow their development speeds and price steeply. Any company that owns an entire industry unopposed is like that.
Waste your $ on intel Bulldozer will kick ass.