Save/Load States
Well slot 0 is the first slot in order so I don't see what is so confusing about that.

Sponsored links

(12-17-2016, 02:31 AM)mccorkled Wrote: I wasn't asking how to put numbers in order. I was asking which save slot was considered #1. Slot 0 is on top, but it is called the "1st" save slot/default? How is that not confusing. Don't come at me all hard with your 20,000 posts bro. I'm asking a question, not asking for snide responses. So slot 1 is 0 and slot 2 is 1 and slot 3 is 2. ANYONE would be confused by this. Why can't there be just one forum with decent members? I cannot extrapolate what "1" means when 1 actually means 0.

Just because someone asks you to explain doesn't mean they are "coming at you all hard." You got defensive, I only asked exactly what I meant - if 0 wasn't the first slot then which one would it be? It was an honest question. I don't appreciate you speaking badly about my home on the Internet however. The whole reason I have 20,000 posts in the first place is because I was treated very kindly when I joined here. You will find the members of this forum will treat you exactly as you treat them. They can be amazingly nice but they can also be quite harsh if they or other members are insulted or rules are broken. We are a community and a strong one at that. Regardless, this thread is not about that.

The reasoning behind starting from slot 0 is likely because emulators are written by coders. Arrays in most programming languages(For just one example, there are other 0 based things in coding) have 0 as their first element. If you say "I have an array with one hundred elements" then you likely have an array addressable from 0-99. I don't know for sure but I suspect this logic is why it starts at 0. Either way as envisaged0ne has pointed out this is not a common problem people have(to be honest I've never seen a thread like this on here before).

Is it the most user friendly thing in the world to start from 0? No, probably not. But my question was to make a point - if 0 doesn't come before 1 then where else would it go? So even if most users aren't familiar with 0 based arrays they know that 0 comes before 1 so slot 0 comes before slot 1. Nobody really calls "Slot 0" the first slot - they just call it "Slot 0." However if you insist on using "First slot, second slot" terminology then just call it the "zeroth slot."
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
I'm getting defensive at snide remarks. I have a BA in mathematics. NEVER in the history of the planet has 0 been considered number 1. 0 is 0 and 1 is 1. When a game developer on this site says "The only time it goes back to 1 is when the emulator is closed. Switching games won't reset which slot is used." to anyone that can read or do basic math, that means save state 1. Not slot 0. "Goes back to 1" tells me nothing other than the one that is labeled #1. Not slot 1, number 0. Not number 1, but simply "goes back to 1" In binary 1 means on. 1 can mean anything in fact, but most often than not 1 mean 1, again, not slot 0. I'm sorry if you cannot comprehend my confusion by this. Perhaps in another 19,963 posts you can start to call out new members for being confused on a system that makes no sense unless otherwise described why it makes no sense.

I'm not arguing that slot 0 is slot 1, merely the confusion of calling it "1" for save/load slot zero. If you look back on the post I wasn't confused about it being called slot zero, I was confused on it being called "1." Also you were not "asking exactly what I meant" you said "Really?" implying I am some sort of moron. I was hoping for an easy key combination for saving and loading, but since there isn't one, and I now know 0 means "1" I can semi accomplish what I was set out to do. Perhaps in the future an easier save/load state can be implemented. Shift+F1 = Save slot 0 aka "1", F1 = load slot 0 aka "1", etc. It would make keyboard/controller saves/loads much easier. For now I suppose I will just map 1 save slot since it can only be mapped to 1 key for load and 1 for save.

Thank you to those whom helped.
(12-17-2016, 07:47 AM)mccorkled Wrote: Perhaps in another 19,963 posts you can start to call out new members for being confused on a system that makes no sense unless otherwise described why it makes no sense.

I'm not addressing the rest of your post because it's clear that you are going to ignore what I'm saying to you. You don't want help, you want to argue with me and try to convince others that I'm bullying you. But no one is convinced. I will say this - if this system makes so very little sense then why are you the very first person to ask this question(at least that I've seen)? Why do other emulators use it? Why are you the only one confused by it? As with the getting defensive at people who are only trying to help you - the problem lies with you. If you really have your BA in Mathematics then even if you think that it's silly to start from 0, why is it so hard for you to adapt?
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Again, I am not confused or think it is silly to start from zero. Zero is ZERO, I WAS confused on what slot was being called "1." It's ok for you to defend your posts but when I do it I am arguing lol. I'll say it one more time so you don't have to post the same thing a 4th time, I WAS CONFUSED BY ZERO BEING CALLED "1"

I doubt many people have made an AHK script that was mapped to a controller for easy saving. Most people probably just hit F3 on their keyboard or use their mouse to save. Knowing which slot was the ACTUAL first slot being used was important for what I am doing. It shouldn't even matter what I am doing or why I am doing it. The question was being perfectly answered by another member until you started with your sarcastic post. You can blame me all you want if that's easier for you. I came here for answers, not sarcasm.
They said the 1st save state. You should have had enough common sense to realize 0 was the 1st one. It was to obvious to others to even try to explain it to you. You didn't get the simple lay out and are getting defensive & acting like everyone's against you. I don't care if you teach math or never got past 6th grade level. This isn't hard stuff to figure out. I've helped in emulator forums for almost 19 years now & NEVER saw someone so confused & defensive about this as you. Maybe instead of blaming others, you should realize this is a new system to YOU and try to adapt to it. They aren't trying to make this software difficult at all. Most anyone can run it & figure it out without to much trouble. The only confusing things could be some of the graphic or game fix options. But they even help explain that as best they can
Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Geforce RTX 2060 6GB
32 GB DDR4 RAM
Blyss Wrote:The reasoning behind starting from slot 0 is likely because emulators are written by coders. Arrays in most programming languages(For just one example, there are other 0 based things in coding) have 0 as their first element
mccorkled Wrote:I have a BA in mathematics
Worlds apart, no need to argue more about this.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go