Save State Hex editing?
I'd like to hex edit my save state for Midnight Club 3, but it seems that whenever I attempt to hex edit the valuet, it has no effect in the game. I found a video that demonstrated how to hex edit a save state with an older version of pcsx2 and he explained that the save state was compressed and you needed to hex edit the raw data, however, I cant find the raw data in the current version of pcsx2.

What do I need to do to be able to hex edit a save state with the current version of pcsx2?

Sponsored links

http://www.ps2savetools.com/faq.php?show=1&id_cat=9

one of those sites will help you...you convert your save file i think once or twice before you can really do something with it...^^
Getting raw save data isn't about conversion, just getting it out from .ps2 with mymc then getting out the raw save game data with ps2 save builder. For "savestates" any of those programs is useless, I don't really know if savestates are compressed, if they are it would be zlib or bzip2, most likely the second one.
Just curious...what exactly is the point of hex editing a save state if you can edit the memory while playing with ArtMoney or CheatEngine for example

btw the save states are zip archive which contains a lot of files
(07-17-2011, 01:29 AM)miseru99 Wrote: Getting raw save data isn't about conversion, just getting it out from .ps2 with mymc then getting out the raw save game data with ps2 save builder. For "savestates" any of those programs is useless, I don't really know if savestates are compressed, if they are it would be zlib or bzip2, most likely the second one.
Do you mean using the programs you stated are useless? or the ones that TheNewGuy suggested? From the tutorial video I seen, its zlib compression.

(07-17-2011, 01:29 AM)vsub Wrote: what exactly is the point of hex editing a save state if you can edit the memory while playing with ArtMoney or CheatEngine for example
That can be said both ways. What's the point of editing the memory if you can edit a save state? Either one will do the trick, I want to do it the hex editing way.

(07-17-2011, 01:29 AM)vsub Wrote: btw the save states are zip archive which contains a lot of files
I know its in an archive, but none of those files contain the raw data I'm guessing.
Heh those programs I mentioned for game saves would be useless couse savestate and save game isn't same thing. You probably don't understand what's raw data in savestate and what's in native game save.

In save game raw data is just nessesary data the game recognize to load saved game state it's format differ among the games, usually is small and most things are easy to find inside, but most of the time can be also encrypted, soo messing with it would require also to break the encryption method which I assume you would be unable to do.
That's different in case of savestate that raw data would be whole memory dump. Raw data you wish to "edit" in "savestate" as I just checked would be most likely "eeMemory.bin" which is most likely the biggest file in there. But seriously, like vsub said why would you want to do that? It would require unzipping every time, comparing between different saves would be troublesome and each new change in the game would need another save to compare.

You have exactly same from editing memory, just much quicker. Plus why do you think editing memory isn't "hex editing"? It's exactly same stuff... Using search in programs like cheat engine is exactly same as using search in any hex editor, only thing that differs is you read this memory in real time from your RAM and while trying to edit save state you would edit the very same thing from your hdd. Only thing that differs here is available editors and speed which is superior in memory edit than over hdd=_=;.

You are probably thinking savestates in emulators saves some very small and easy to edit file with your character stats/money/whatever, but if soo, you are completely wrong. They aren't, they just save the state of whole engine memory to hdd. If you still think that's easier for you than editing memory, well good luck, you should have all required info by now.
(07-17-2011, 07:16 AM)miseru99 Wrote: Heh those programs I mentioned for game saves would be useless couse savestate and save game isn't same thing. You probably don't understand what's raw data in savestate and what's in native game save.

In save game raw data is just nessesary data the game recognize to load saved game state it's format differ among the games, usually is small and most things are easy to find inside, but most of the time can be also encrypted, soo messing with it would require also to break the encryption method which I assume you would be unable to do.
That's different in case of savestate that raw data would be whole memory dump. Raw data you wish to "edit" in "savestate" as I just checked would be most likely "eeMemory.bin" which is most likely the biggest file in there. But seriously, like vsub said why would you want to do that? It would require unzipping every time, comparing between different saves would be troublesome and each new change in the game would need another save to compare.

You have exactly same from editing memory, just much quicker. Plus why do you think editing memory isn't "hex editing"? It's exactly same stuff... Using search in programs like cheat engine is exactly same as using search in any hex editor, only thing that differs is you read this memory in real time from your RAM and while trying to edit save state you would edit the very same thing from your hdd. Only thing that differs here is available editors and speed which is superior in memory edit than over hdd=_=;.

You are probably thinking savestates in emulators saves some very small and easy to edit file with your character stats/money/whatever, but if soo, you are completely wrong. They aren't, they just save the state of whole engine memory to hdd. If you still think that's easier for you than editing memory, well good luck, you should have all required info by now.

Thanks for the info. I thought a save state was the same data as the data saved to the memory card, only in a different format that could be saved/loaded on the fly within the game.

The Only reason I wanted to use a hex editor instead of a memory editor was because I'm more familiar with it.

I manged to successfully mod the value I wanted using artmoney.

hm...ok...my bad...thought you meant the normal saves ^^"

could this be something helpful?^^"
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-hack-s...tor-78743/
mmm wonder if i can actually use this to replace a complete SS? and if is posible which file should i modify? "eememory.bin"?

Why? well my disgaea save is lost and the game refuse to let me save when i load my last save state, so i was thinking in star again in that way the game will reconize the memory, save, make a new save state and then replace the info of that save state with the one that have like 45+hours of gameplay, and again try to save.
Hmm you mean your save state loads correctly, but the game doesn't want to save on memory card? Then it's a corrupted memory card, the state of memory cards isn't really saved inside savestate and actually using save/load state when memory card is used can corrupt it(probably that's why they reload when loading SS). The question if corrupted memory card can be fixed is other thing, requires knowledge of the format itself, probably memory cards get corrupted mostly while writing some headers or index soo it's possible the actual data still exist inside and could be manually cut out from inside, just programs like mymc crashes while trying to read something on the way.