Screen goes black and sound cuts off during gameplay in Persona 4
(While I might be a new user to the forums, I'm not completely clueless. Give me a chance.)

Hey, guys. Allow me to explain what has been happening.

After discovering the Persona series, I decided to jump in and get Persona 4 (iso format, not a disc) with the PCSX2 emulator to run it. After doing the initial setup, I loaded the game up and played without any issues for over three hours of total gameplay. Mind you, it takes around three hours for the game to open up and allow you to explore,

This is where things go wrong. I enter Yukiko's castle, where there are a few enemies wandering around. I engage in a fight with one, and the battle goes smoothly, until I knock him down and I initiate an all-out attack. As soon as I do this, the screen goes black (not the window, the entire computer screen) and the sound cuts out. This wasn't a power surge, as the tower's LEDs were still on and the monitor was awake. I try ctrl-alt-del, but nothing happens. I guess that the computer crashed to do some technical problem involving the emulator, so I re-booted the computer and tried again.

This time, I didn't even fight the first enemy before the computer crashed and I was forced to reboot. I searched Google and the forums for any similar crashes, only finding one possibility involving using a save state that was saved during a cutscene. So, I try again, not using any of the older save states and loading the game using the game's native save/load feature. Again, during a fight, the computer crashes.

Frustrated, I let the computer rest and I waited until the next day (which happens to be today) to try again. This morning, I loaded using the native save/load feature and got as far as fighting Chie's Shadow before the computer crashed again.

Personally, I've had it up to here with these crashes.

My specs are the following:

Operating system - Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
Storage memory - 2TB
RAM - 8GB
Graphics card - AMD Radeon HD 7950, 3GB.
CPU - Intel i5-3570k 3.40 GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
DirectX version - DirectX 11

The build was completed during December 2012, so this is a new computer.

I was running PCSX2 1.0.0 (r5350) when these crashes occurred.

I have attached a screenshot of the plugins used, for reference.

It is impossible to get a log report, as there are no warning signs before the crash.

No, these crashes have never occurred with other games, even the most demanding ones (say, Far Cry 3 on its highest settings).

Hopefully, an administrator (or fellow user) can help me out with this, as I would hate to have to start Persona 4 from the beginning or to be forced to abandon the game all together.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

Quote:It is impossible to get a log report, as there are no warning signs before the crash.

you will always find a file called emulog.txt in the "logs" folder.
post its content, please.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(01-13-2013, 09:26 PM)jesalvein Wrote: you will always find a file called emulog.txt in the "logs" folder.
post its content, please.

Sure thing, here you go:

PCSX2 1.0.0.r5350 - compiled on Aug 1 2012
Savestate version: 0x9a080000

Host Machine Init:
Operating System = Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Physical RAM = 8146 MB
CPU name = Intel® Core™ i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Vendor/Model = GenuineIntel (stepping 09)
CPU speed = 3.398 ghz (4 logical threads)
x86PType = Standard OEM
x86Flags = bfebfbff 7f9ae3bf
x86EFlags = 28100000

x86 Features Detected:
MMX.. SSE.. SSE2.. SSE3.. SSSE3.. SSE4.1.. SSE4.2.. AVX

Reserving memory for recompilers...

Loading plugins...
Binding GS: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.0.0\Plugins\gsdx32-ssse3-r5350.dll
Windows 6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1 1.0)
AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series (8.17.10.1151)
Binding PAD: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.0.0\Plugins\lilypad-r5350.dll
Binding SPU2: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.0.0\Plugins\spu2-x-r5350.dll
Binding CDVD: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.0.0\Plugins\cdvdGigaherz.dll
Binding USB: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.0.0\Plugins\USBnull.dll
Binding FW: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.0.0\Plugins\FWnull.dll
Binding DEV9: C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.0.0\Plugins\DEV9null.dll
Plugins loaded successfully.

(GameDB) 9640 games on record (loaded in 116ms)
ok.
Same, but after a crash, please
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(01-13-2013, 09:58 PM)jesalvein Wrote: ok.
Same, but after a crash, please

That's the problem. It's not the program that crashes, it's the whole computer. I have to force shutdown my computer and start it again to make it work, so the log gets deleted by default.
It's uncommon the whole computer freezing, that seems more a hardware or driver problem, maybe temperature.

You can try looking what the Windows System log has to say. You can access it from Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer and finally System under logs.

You may need to run it under elevated account (administrator).
Imagination is where we are truly real
(01-13-2013, 10:24 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: It's uncommon the whole computer freezing, that seems more a hardware or driver problem, maybe temperature.

You can try looking what the Windows System log has to say. You can access it from Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer and finally System under logs.

Sadly enough, I couldn't find anything in the system log related to the freeze, except for the Error and Critical events that are standard to unexpected shutdowns.

Moreso, how could the emulator be so demanding that it'd overheat the cores? The tower spews out cold air while running demanding games.

I'm honestly confused and seriously worried.
PCSX2 is extremely demanding on CPU power, it is very possibly it's causing overheating problems, either that or you have memory faults or an unstable overclock.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(01-13-2013, 10:47 PM)refraction Wrote: PCSX2 is extremely demanding on CPU power, it is very possibly it's causing overheating problems, either that or you have memory faults or an unstable overclock.

So, what do you suggest? Memtest86?
Would be a good start I recon. Are you overclocked?
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]