Screen shaking on Panzer Dragoon
Hi everyone,

As other people have reported long before me, on Panzer Dragoon there is a huge headache inducing screen shake. 
No matter which video mode (dx9/11/opengl/software/hardware) or interlacing mode used, the screen shake is always there sadly.

I got the original japanese disk "sega ages 2500 vol.27: panzer dragoon", so I was able to test the game in different plateforms:
- PCSX2 (stable and nighly, so many versions tested) -> screen shake
- PS2 emulation on PS3 -> screen shake
- real PS2 -> no screen shake
So it appears that the PS2 emulator on PS3 has the same issue strangely, which might means that the game uses the real PS2 hardware in a tricky way...

Is there any way to patch the image or force the video mode the might fix the issue?

Thanks Wink

Sponsored links

In order to help you further with your problem, please make sure the following are all provided.
  • Your hardware specs - CPU, Graphics Card, Memory, Operating System.
  • The version of PCSX2 you are using.
  • Any non default settings you are using.
  • What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.

Thank You.
The hardware I tried on:
First PC:
i7-3770K
32GB of RAM
NVidia 1060
Windows 10 x64
Second PC:
i5 2320
4GB of RAM
AMD radeon HD 7850
Windows 7

For the other information, everything is already written in my post (was it an automatic answer?), but just to make sure everyone can read it:

For the version, as I mentioned I tried several, both nightly and stable, I tried probably around 30 different builds in the last 2 years, from the builds back then to the most recent ones. But if you want a specific build, let's say the stable 1.4.0 and Dev 1.5.0-2323

All the settings are in default (resetted to default few times), and as I already said I tried to change the video mode, the interlace settings, and any other setting I could find but no improvement.

Again, as I said I have the original sega ages 2500 vol.27: panzer dragoon, so it's obvious I am using the disk, but I also made an image of my disk just to try, no change.

The shaking problem obviously doesn't come from the hardware, build, settings or type of support, but I'm no expert with PCSX2 itself, so that's why I can here to ask for help on how we could possibly make it work, like a specific memory hack or patch for the game or something Wink
I know some other games specific issues were solved that way so if somebody has any knowledge on how to implement such thing I would be really grateful Laugh
The only setting I found that eliminates the shaking is setting the frameskip setting to constant skipping and Frames to Draw = 1 and Frames to skip = 0 (or 1). This isn't ideal as it introduces other issues. The game's native resolution shows 640 x 224 but automatically loads into progressive mode. It is a curious issue but beyond my knowledge.
(03-18-2018, 12:04 PM)wheninrome Wrote: The only setting I found that eliminates the shaking is setting the frameskip setting to constant skipping and Frames to Draw = 1 and Frames to skip = 0 (or 1). This isn't ideal as it introduces other issues. The game's native resolution shows 640 x  224 but automatically loads into progressive mode.  It is a curious issue but beyond my knowledge.

Oh that's a clever trick, by skipping 1 frame you avoid the one misplaced Tongue
yes I think it has something to do with the video mode being forced to something the game doesn't support, which might be the case for the PS2 emulator on PS3 too Wink
I wonder if there is a way to force the video mode/frame rate in PCSX2, because changing the internal resolution doesn't seem to change the issue  Huh
Sorry to revive this old post guys, but after some tests I did lately I think I know where this screen shaking is coming from.
In PCSX2, the screen mode is changing between interlaced in the FMV, to progressive scan everywhere else.
The problem is that this game isn't supposed to use progressive scan! The emulator somehow detects progressive scan but it's incorrect.

Which means when the game stays on interlace, no screen shake.
But when it switches to progressive scan, which is wrong, there is no deinterlacing activated anymore, reason why the screen starts shaking, and why changing the interlaced mode doesn't change anything.
Of course, it's just my theory, please correct me if I am wrong Wink

Is there a way to force the game to stay in interlaced, like a command or something, to see if it fixes the issue?
I bet asasega could figure this out if he wanted to. maybe ask him here: https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-No-interlacing-codes

but they will lock this thread since its over 8 months since last reply. Keep us updated if you ever figure it out.
(03-22-2019, 09:32 AM)wheninrome Wrote: but they will lock this thread since its over 8 months since last reply.

I won't since the OP is the one who "revived" his own thread.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(03-22-2019, 09:37 AM)jesalvein Wrote: I won't since the OP is the one who "revived" his own thread.

ok, thats good then. thanks.
(03-22-2019, 09:32 AM)wheninrome Wrote: I bet asasega could figure this out if he wanted to.  maybe ask him here: https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-No-interlacing-codes

but they will lock this thread since its over 8 months since last reply.  Keep us updated if you ever figure it out.

That's a good idea, I sent him a message to see if he can help on that  Biggrin
So far it looks like somehow on PCSX2 the display mode is being reported wrong, the game says to the GS that it's progressive when it should be interlaced.