Segmentation Fault: 11 (non-ISO)
I'm trying to get PCSX2 running on my MacBook but I keep having problems. When I tell PCSX2 to launch the game (from plugin), it crashes with a segmentation fault 11 error.

I've read that this has to do with a poor quality game rip, but interestingly, I'm not trying to play a ripped game, I'm actually trying to play a physical disc, an official copy of Scooby Doo! Night of 100 Frights. 

Since my MacBook Pro doesn't have an optical drive, I have to use an external drive. I have an idea that this issue may be related to that, but I'm not sure how to resolve this issue, which is why I'm reaching out. 

If you need any further details, just ask. I'm using the CDVDnull Driver [libCDVDnull] plugin.

Sponsored links

Null means "nothing" that plugin won't work. It's hre only for testing purposes.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(04-30-2018, 07:30 PM)jesalvein Wrote: Null means "nothing" that plugin won't work. It's hre only for testing purposes.

Selecting the Linuz Iso CDVD [libCDVDiso] plugin doesn't get me any further. It only wants to look for an ISO file, which is not what I want to do. These are the only two plugins I have. I'm going to do a search online to see if it's possible to find other plugins.
(04-30-2018, 07:30 PM)jesalvein Wrote: Null means "nothing" that plugin won't work. It's hre only for testing purposes.

So as it turns out the issue is deeper than trying to use discs on macOS. I ripped the game that I was trying to play, and PCSX2 crashed with a segmentation fault 11 error. Then, I decided to try and boot PCSX2 with the No Disc setting checked, so it should boot into the BIOS. PCSX2 still crashes with a segmentation fault 11 error, sometimes a bus error 10. I tried both BIOSes from both my PS2s, and still get the same result. This doesn't happen on my main machine which runs Windows.

Code:
Interface is initializing.  Entering Pcsx2App::OnInit!
Applying operating system default language...
Loading language translation databases for 'English (Canada)' [en_CA]
Command line parsing...
Command line parsed!
ZZogl-PG: Calling GSinit.
ZZogl-PG: GSinit finished.
ZZogl-PG: Calling GSopen.
ZZogl-PG: Creating ZZOgl window.
ZZogl-PG:  Got Doublebuffered Visual!
ZZogl-PG:  glX-Version 1.4
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-VidModeExtension" missing on display "/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.S4tOkBLWMl/org.macosforge.xquartz:0".
ZZogl-PG:  Depth 24
ZZogl-PG:  You have Direct Rendering!
ZZogl-PG:  Using multitexturing.
ZZogl-PG:  Maximum texture size is 16384 for Tex_2d and 16384 for Tex_NV.
ZZogl-PG: Disabling MRT depth writing.
ZZogl-PG: You've manually enabled these hacks:
ZZogl-PG: 'No logz' hack enabled.
ZZogl-PG: Initialization successful.
ZZogl-PG: Disabling MRT depth writing.
ZZogl-PG: You've manually enabled these hacks:
ZZogl-PG: 'No logz' hack enabled.
Segmentation fault: 11
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

I even tried resetting all settings to default, and I still have this problem. If I could, I'd just use BootCamp to use Windows on my MacBook (as its CPU is the best I've got for emulation) but I can't because that'd require wiping my external hard drive and I'm not about to do that. I'm completely lost. Sure, I could just use my Windows machine, but the AMD FX-4300 in that still kind of sucks for emulating PS2 games, whereas the Intel Core i5 in my MacBook Pro should wipe the floor with my AMD FX.
Quote: Then, I decided to try and boot PCSX2 with the No Disc setting checked, so it should boot into the BIOS
IIRC, the mac port isn't able to do this either.
(05-01-2018, 09:30 PM)jesalvein Wrote: IIRC, the mac port isn't able to do this either.

So, from what I can take away from this is that the Mac version doesn't work at all. I can't load any ISO games that I've ripped regardless of which BIOS I use. Do you know if there are future plans to resolve these issues? It seems a bit odd to me that the Mac version of PCSX2 is only 0.9.7 from 2012 while both Windows and Linux have the most recent 1.4.0 from 2016.

I'd use BootCamp if I could, but I can't because I'd have to reformat my external hard drive and I don't want to have to back up 350GB+ of stuff that's on it. I can't install it directly because of the minuscule amount of storage my MacBook came with. Same goes for Linux, I'd have to reformat my external hard drive. I guess I'm kind of stuck, then.
Actually, we don't support the Mac port.
Only zedron came one day saying he had made one. And thus we gave him a sbforum.
But this port didn't evolve since 2012 because no one else is interested in maintaining it.
(05-02-2018, 06:41 PM)jesalvein Wrote: Actually, we don't support the Mac port.
Only zedron came one day saying he had made one.  And thus we gave him a sbforum.
But this port didn't evolve since 2012 because no one else is interested in maintaining it.

Oh... Well, that's good to know. If only I had the skill and know-how, I'd totally try and pick up on it.
The popular thing to do these days is to use the Windows builds in Wineskin. I would give that a go and see if it handles well for you.