September 2015 progress report
Hey I was just wondering how the progress on the 64 bit build is coming along that was announced earlier this year. Is it still being worked on and if it is then is there a release window in mind for it. I have been waiting to use this program ever since the announcement of a 64 bit version being worked on.

Sponsored links

There was a lot of progress in a 64 bit branch. Unfortunately it is a huge commit and the devs need time to review it. It is postponed for the time after the nexr stable release.

One should mention that the ability to compile in 64 bit doesnt mean that games are running as nicely as in 32 bit and for sure not that rhe code is optimized. The 64 bit branch is still pre alpha.
(10-18-2015, 01:42 AM)willkuer Wrote: There was a lot of progress in a 64 bit branch. Unfortunately it is a huge commit and the devs need time to review it. It is postponed for the time after the nexr stable release.

One should mention that the ability to compile in 64 bit doesnt mean that games are running as nicely as in 32 bit and for sure not that rhe code is optimized. The 64 bit branch is still pre alpha.

A 64-bit version is not a big thing for Windows and Linux users. However, it is a big thing for Mac users. 

There are not enough Mac developers on board to properly port PCSX2, but there is an open source project called OpenEmu waiting in the wings who are eager to port PCSX2 over as a core for their emulator front-end. The only thing that is stopping them is that cores need to be 64-bit. 

It's currently the only way for Mac users to use a lot of emulators (such as PPSSPP and MAME) who do not have an official Mac build. I certainly hope that PCSX2 can be added to that list in the future. Being able to run it natively rather than though Wine is something I've been looking forward to for a while...
(10-18-2015, 08:57 AM)MacUser Wrote: A 64-bit version is not a big thing for Windows and Linux users. However, it is a big thing for Mac users. 

There are not enough Mac developers on board to properly port PCSX2, but there is an open source project called OpenEmu waiting in the wings who are eager to port PCSX2 over as a core for their emulator front-end. The only thing that is stopping them is that cores need to be 64-bit. 

It's currently the only way for Mac users to use a lot of emulators (such as PPSSPP and MAME) who do not have an official Mac build. I certainly hope that PCSX2 can be added to that list in the future. Being able to run it natively rather than though Wine is something I've been looking forward to for a while...

It's not the only way they can use PCSX2:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Testers-W...-OS-X-v1-0
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
He is like the moderator of that thread. I guess he knows about wine...
(10-18-2015, 05:37 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: It's not the only way they can use PCSX2:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Testers-W...-OS-X-v1-0

Yes, I know about Wineskin. I meant run natively. It's not optimal to run an emulator through an emulator (yes, I know Wine Is Not an Emulator etc, but it's certainly not optimal).

PCSX2 is a demanding application, it's best to have it run natively rather than through an interpreter. 

Short of getting a huge number of Mac developers suddenly descend and hammer out a Mac port, the only hope for a native version I have are: 

1. OpenEmu does a core port after PCSX2 goes 64-bit; 

2. PCSX2 will move from DirectX11/OGL to DirectX12/Vulkan in the future.  (I know we don't know much about Vulkan now since it's not released, but Apple sits on the board at Kronos. I'm hoping Vulkan turns out to be not so much different to Metal, and Metal was only created because they were frustrated with how slow the development/approval process is. Fingers crossed).
Thanks a lot for your continued efforts Smile Go go go! Laugh
Seems like 1.4.0 is soon close at hand according to GitHub:

https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/releases/tag/v1.4.0-rc1

2016 might not be such a bad year after all if Dolphin 5.0 also comes this year.
(10-18-2015, 01:42 AM)willkuer Wrote: There was a lot of progress in a 64 bit branch. Unfortunately it is a huge commit and the devs need time to review it. It is postponed for the time after the nexr stable release.

Nothing is done. We miss various preliminary work before we start to work on a 64 bits port. The PR is partially integrated in the master branch. I don't think the remaining work will be merged, there are various shortcoming and too much copy/past. Anyway what must be done first
1/ clean the abi management (pending commit)
2/ convert MMX to SSE
3/ port inlined ASM to intrinsics.
4/ fix the interpreter to have a working reference.

(10-19-2015, 04:20 AM)MacUser Wrote: Yes, I know about Wineskin. I meant run natively. It's not optimal to run an emulator through an emulator (yes, I know Wine Is Not an Emulator etc, but it's certainly not optimal).

PCSX2 is a demanding application, it's best to have it run natively rather than through an interpreter. 

Short of getting a huge number of Mac developers suddenly descend and hammer out a Mac port, the only hope for a native version I have are: 

1. OpenEmu does a core port after PCSX2 goes 64-bit; 

2. PCSX2 will move from DirectX11/OGL to DirectX12/Vulkan in the future.  (I know we don't know much about Vulkan now since it's not released, but Apple sits on the board at Kronos. I'm hoping Vulkan turns out to be not so much different to Metal, and Metal was only created because they were frustrated with how slow the development/approval process is. Fingers crossed).
Did they drop openGL ? I don't think so. 32 bits programs are still working on Mac beside I'm afraid that 64 recompiler port will done in latest. Both Windows&Linux support absolute 32 bits absolute addresses whereas Mac only supports 64 bits absolute addresses. 32 bits is nice because we can reuse a big chunk of the current code.
(01-03-2016, 02:35 PM)gregory Wrote: 2/ convert MMX to SSE

Can't 64-bit applications use MMX?