Shadow of the Colossus problem... too fast? Help
Ok, so the problem is this:

I haven't used the PCSX2 emu in years so bear with me. Whenever I run this game (SOTC) I get 60fps in lots of places and you can see that the game is internally working at 60fps!! Is really amazing honestly, but the problem is when I go to 70% speed, the game turns slow.

My point is, this is weird, because last time I checked, this game always used to work at 30fps or less, without slow downs! (sure I know that internally the game worked at even 20fps), but even if internally the game would drop frames, the game would NOT slowdown.

Now this game is SLOWING down, because sure, it is trying to reach 60fps internally.

I have an i3 7100 skylake... no I am liyng, I have a new and fresh Pentium G4560 (actually an i3 hahaha). 

So yeah, can I play the game at 30fps like I used to? (60fps in PCSX2 I know that).

I am using a 660ti and 8gb of DDR4 and PCSX2 latest version v1.5.0-dev-2205-gaf2278c3c
v1.5.0-dev-2205-gaf2278c3c

Also, why can I not use AVX2? Isn't it supposed to be compatible with Intel CPU's starting from Hasswell?

Cheers to all and thanks, you seem like  great community here. I want to stick around.

Sponsored links

you might accidently press the TAB button for turbo....toggle it the TAB again will bring back to normal.

(09-24-2017, 01:43 PM)Nashismo Wrote: Also, why can I not use AVX2? Isn't it supposed to be compatible with Intel CPU's starting from Hasswell?

Cheers to all and thanks, you seem like great community here. I want to stick around.
i3-7100 should been a kaby lake....same as the PDC G4xxx

AVX2 was available starting Haswell....IDK what is missing to run it depends of the older OS and/or lacking installing the Visual C++ redist.
what i know in the past since the SSSE3 you need at least windows XP(SP2) to function it...meeting lower than the OS requirement SSSE3 will not work.
meanwhile AVX needs Win7(SP1) to function it.....meeting lower than Win7(SP1) AVX will not working at all.

let's say you running XP and you have kaby lake...AVX2 will not work at all i think.
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
(09-24-2017, 01:53 PM)smartstrike Wrote: you might accidently press the TAB button for turbo....toggle it the TAB again will bring back to normal.

No it is not that, I checked. The game is internally being played at 60fps and it looks awesome, but when it goes below that it turns slow.

I used to emulate this game on an old i3 2100 and it played perfectly at 30fps internal (60fps emu) and without any hacks whatsoever either. Something is fishy here. Sure it seems like a great feauture for anybody with an OCed Skylake at 5ghz or something.

But I know what I am saying and it is the truth! I have been a PC gamer for a decade now, the game is truly internally playing at 60fps some times.

Also, maybe you know, I am plaing with a PS3 controller as Xinput (SCP server) and strangely my Horyzontal/Vertical Aim Control (camera) is always Inverted! No matter if I use Inverted or normal in the game settings!! Now that is weird also...

Cheers to all!
(09-24-2017, 01:53 PM)smartstrike Wrote: AVX2 was available starting Haswell....IDK what is missing to run it depends of the older OS and/or lacking installing the Visual C++ redist.
what i know in the past since the SSSE3 you need at least windows XP(SP2) to function it...meeting lower than the OS requirement SSSE3 will not work.

I have installed the Visual C++ redist 2015 x86 and x64, and I am running windows 10 Home edition, actually Kabylakes don't work on anything less, well maybe they do, but that is a whole other subject Smile
sorry lots of "edits" on my 1st replies what i remember on my past old 3 PCs the C2Ds,Sandy bridge and Haswell as well as the OSes XP and Win7.

(09-24-2017, 02:08 PM)Nashismo Wrote: No it is not that, I checked. The game is internally being played at 60fps and it looks awesome, but when it goes below that it turns slow.

it could be the either the high CPU temperatures or could been CPU damage due to aggresive overclocking or overvoltaging (above +1.825v).
have you install the coretemp to monitor the heat?
(09-24-2017, 02:21 PM)smartstrike Wrote: sorry lots of "edits" on my 1st replies what i remember on my past old 3 PCs the C2Ds,Sandy bridge and Haswell as well as the OSes XP and Win7.

it could be the either the high CPU temperatures or could been CPU damage due to aggresive overclocking or overvoltaging (above +1.825v).
have you install the coretemp to monitor the heat?

GPU Temps are 50 max and CPU temps are 55 Max, average CPU temps are 50 and GPU 48. I recently built this PC and changed the thermal paste on my Asus GPU also.

Is this some weird bug with Kabylake or is PCSX2 now trying to run all games at 60fps independant of the "original" framerate of the PS2? Maybe that would be a better question.
Ok, ok, oh my God this is so amazing!

I turned EE Cyclerate to -1 and the game is playing smooth as butter!! But here is THE THING, you can tell the game is STILL playing MUCH higher than 30fps! (as originally made)

Is like the game drop frames when it has to but also keeps them higher when it can. Don't know what's going on but this is truly amazing. Also using OpenGL the bloom crap is fixed!

I love this! Smile
Usually you want to set VU cycle stealing to 1 for this game, unless you have a monster CPU (yours is close, but probably not quite enough). I don't think lowering the EE cycle rate is advised, this game already had CPU issues even on the real hardware, and I don't remember that really helping the game run smoother.
#StopRNG
(09-24-2017, 01:43 PM)Nashismo Wrote: I have an i3 7100 skylake... no I am liyng, I have a new and fresh Pentium G4560 (actually an i3 hahaha). 

Also, why can I not use AVX2? Isn't it supposed to be compatible with Intel CPU's starting from Hasswell?

I3-7100 https://ark.intel.com/products/97455/Int...e-3_90-GHz
G4560 https://ark.intel.com/products/97143/Int...e-3_50-GHz

While the new Pentium processors make 90% of what an I3 is redundant and a bad deal there are differences.  One of those differences is what instruction sets those support.  So if you have a G4560 then you are stuck at SSE4.1/SSE4.2.  Only the Core line supports AVX and not always all Core lines (some of the lower power variants get support after full power desktop lines)
^
^
^
i think he's right all the PDCs will capped up to sse 4.2.

and unless he doesnt own the type-U(low-powered CPU) of i3 it will be fine...but no TB(turbo boost techs.)