Shopping for an upgraded computer
Hello, everyone

I'm upgrading my computer and would love to get your opinion on it. I use it primarily as an all-game machine, for playing regular PC games to emulating. PCSX2 (along with Dolphin), obviously, are an integral part of it.

Please check my profile to see what I have now. I'm able to play KH2 and FFXII to completion with speed hacks but never managed to make Shadow of the Colossus, Ico or Dark Cloud 2 playable on 100% speed.

I'd like to know if I could play PCSX2's library in full speed without any speed hacks or need of overclocking using the following setup, right from my shopping list:

Intel Core i5 3550 (BX80637I53550), 3° gen, Clock 3.30 GHz
(or Intel Core i7 2600K, Clock 3.40GHZ)

GPU Sapphire 315L 11180-00 AMD ATI Radeon HD6850 1GB GDDR5

Motherboard Asus P8P67

RAM 8 GB

(I'm undecided between the i5 and the i7, so please shine some light under the matter as well)

Thanks!

Edit: Here are my specific problems with Dark Cloud 2 detailed on an old post: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Dark-Clou...able-speed
I have no sig!

Sponsored links

Yea, that will be pretty comfortable with pcsx2. I can run MGS3 which is quite demanding, with my PC (see sig) May want to consider a touger GPU if u like bumping up the resolution/scaling but that one will handle it probably up to 2/3x scaling. Cannot speak for Dark Cloud and SotC though, but I know they are also both quite demanding but I think on a similar level to MGS3 so.
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz
GPU: MSI Twin FRozr GTX560Ti
MOBO: MSI Z68A-GD65-G3 Intel Z68
That's great. Yeah, I forgot about MGS3, I once tried it and it was permanently on slow motion.

In layman's terms, the GPU influences the scaling rather than the speed, right?

Is the i5 a better choice?

I hope someone can talk about Dark Cloud 2, since it's my favorite game in the PS2 and I was heartbroken when I couldn't play it properly on my PC.
I have no sig!
Quote:In layman's terms, the GPU influences the scaling rather than the speed, right?

Not entirely sure what you are asking here

As stated in the pcsx2 wiki Dark Cloud 2

"worked flawlessly"

When tested with these specs, (which are alot weaker) so you should be fine.

Core2Duo E6750 (Overclocked to 3.2ghz)
GPU: Radeon 3870 512 MB

(http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php?title=Dark_Cloud_2)
That's great. I don't upscale higher than 2x anyway (obviously because of my current setup). Maybe with a better rig I'll experiment more.

But I'd be fine on 2x. I just want to play DC2. And SotC...
I have no sig!
Ah just got what your question meant, yea, as far as I know the 6850 should be fine with 2/3x scaling on most parts of most games but yea, provided your GPU can handle the game at native res all the time, its all on the CPU and your own personal image quality preference =/ (games dont look great at native =), so ofc if u want to handle higher resolutions u need a more powerful GPU) You may need MTVU hack for full speed in some games though
Yeah, it's thanks to MTVU that I managed to play KH2 and FFXII to completion on 100% speed, along with speed hacks. It's just that, when I first started using PCSX2, I fell in love with the upscaling possibilities. My HDTV is 720p, though, so there wouldn't be much use for me for a really really high resolution.
I have no sig!
Anyone can offer me some information regarding the specific cases of Dark Cloud 2 and Shadow of the Colossus? And equally demanding games?

My problems with Dark Cloud 2: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Dark-Clou...able-speed

My proposed rig is on the original post.
I have no sig!
Dark Cloud 2 i completed it 2+years ago with e7400(3.5G) and GTS 250 i believe, graphic setting was 2x scaling if i'm right, the emulating was quite nice all the way, maybe a liittle fps drops at certain area, only a few areas i remembered, hardly noticeable slow down.
So if you're going to get those rig you first post mentioned, and the more advanced pcsx2 version we have now compares to the one i used 2 years ago, this game should definitely post no problem
at all.

As for SOTC, i completed it this time on a little upgraded system, one year ago, was using i3 530 (4G) and GTX 470, still, i need to use a little VU cycling hack to get it full speed under scaling X3 graphic, and yes i thought the pcsx2 i used back there still haven't got MTVU hack (which is prove to have nice speed boost on multi core cpu).so with your new rig i believe you can certainly get some good speed too especially with the help of MTVU.hope this helps

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(05-15-2012, 01:56 PM)AcidRains Wrote: Dark Cloud 2 i completed it 2+years ago with e7400(3.5G) and GTS 250 i believe, graphic setting was 2x scaling if i'm right, the emulating was quite nice all the way, maybe a liittle fps drops at certain area, only a few areas i remembered, hardly noticeable slow down.
So if you're going to get those rig you first post mentioned, and the more advanced pcsx2 version we have now compares to the one i used 2 years ago, this game should definitely post no problem
at all.

As for SOTC, i completed it this time on a little upgraded system, one year ago, was using i3 530 (4G) and GTX 470, still, i need to use a little VU cycling hack to get it full speed under scaling X3 graphic, and yes i thought the pcsx2 i used back there still haven't got MTVU hack (which is prove to have nice speed boost on multi core cpu).so with your new rig i believe you can certainly get some good speed too especially with the help of MTVU.hope this helps

I remember in your original post you said you absolutely did not want to OC, so with that in mind you should just opt for the nicest PC you can comfortably afford. You don't need much in the way of RAM and you don't need to spend a lot on a GPU if all you want is 2-3x upscaling, but you should by no means cut corners on the processor. I definitely don't think you would regret getting a nice i7 with a high stock clock speed, and realistically you're only out $100-$150 more than if you went with the i5.
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 960T Black Edition @ 4.00 Ghz
RAM: 4GB (2X2GB) DDR3
GPU: Radeon HD 6870 (2GB)

I also have a lot of fun LEDs in my case, which help me look like a pro l33t gamer, and also function as nightlights because I'm mortally afraid of the dark.