Should Shadow Of The Colossus run me with this?
Yeah, as people said in this very thread, In PC the synchronization is done based in real time, the actual changes in the image does not look different at 40 or 100 FPS. Think a moving object does not do it continually but in small jumps. Then the difference is in the length of the steps between each jump position, the greater the FPS the smaller (shorter) the step.

Console games were designed for use with TV and then follow TV standards. This means that the synchronism is done frame by frame, so the steps are of fixed length. That mean than changing the FPS that translates in changes in the speed the movement occurs and then the slowmotion or fast motion depending on the FPS offset.

That's just a very simplified explanation but may be enough for starters.

PS: the human eyes "latency an persistence" do not allow us to perceive the lack of smoothness for not very fast moving objects in FPS above 24, they look as moving continually to us. Still the length of the steps can make make huge difference for things like aiming in a sniper's game or maybe racing games, but does not mean much in other kind of games.
Imagination is where we are truly real

Sponsored links

In fact, real human perception limit is in the middle of 48 FPS - 60 FPS. Movies are based on a 24 FPS speed, but that will be like 50 FPS in a PC game.
Well, thanks. I'll do my best to run SoTC in 60 fps Laugh
(11-16-2012, 11:36 PM)HellHeart Wrote: In fact, real human perception limit is in the middle of 48 FPS - 60 FPS. Movies are based on a 24 FPS speed, but that will be like 50 FPS in a PC game.
Well, thanks. I'll do my best to run SoTC in 60 fps Laugh

That's the reason I said 24 is enough to "not very fast moving objects". To these the jump steps length become more perceptible

Still the main reason for wanting higher FPS in shooting games, for example, is like in extreme cases of low FPS, for far distant objects the aim may get at its left and then at the right, making accurate hit impossible, one can still hit the target due to the weapon spread (remember that is a hypothetical severe case). This is a case that a mouse high DPI alone would not help. higher FPS reflects in smoothness but beyond a certain amount it makes little or no difference at all.

Well, this really does not matter for the real problem in the thread is FPS out the default range translate as BAD news in console games. Smile

I recall reading somewhere else that the GoW is kind of an exception and it runs at an internal FPS of 30... but even then still needs stead actual 59.94 FPS to deliver to the TV even if it means sampling the same internal frame twice. PS: kind of you get a free skip frame of 1:1 Smile

PPS: If I had that game I could try that skip frame in PCSX2 and observe how it translate in perceivable experience change. Of course it is not good universally for in another game you would be skipping calculation of actual frames, not just duplicated frame.
Imagination is where we are truly real