Should my fps be this low?
Hi, I am new to pcsx2 but tried it once before with no luck.
I decided to give it another go, now that i can connect my ps3 controller to my computer.

Anyway, my specs are:

CPU: Intel Quad Q9550 @ 2.8 GHz ( yes I know I should OC it, I will eventually)
GPU: ATI RADEON HD 4850 1GB
RAM: 4GB

Graphics Plugin: GSdx SSE4.1
- res: 640x480
- renderer: DirectX 10 (Hardware)
- interlacing: none
- Aspect: 4:3
- D3D internal: native
- Texture Filtering: Grey tick
- Allow 8-bit: tick
- wait vsync: untick
- enable output merger blur effect: untick
(rest is greyed out)

Sound Plugin: SPU2-X (default settings)

everything else is default for pcsx2 0.9.6

So I have tried a few games and when things are moving I never really get more than 30 fps (PAL) and alot of the time its in the low 20's.

So my question is, Is this the fps I should be getting? If it is, so be it.

thanks.

Sponsored links

It depends on the specific games, but yeah, that's a bit on the low side. I would recommend trying the beta r1888 first, before anything else.
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
depends on the games you've tried, really.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
I have a Q9400 and an ATI x1650xt -- both OC'd -- and typically get 60-100fps in most games, and 25-50 in the "slow" games (or in specific slower scenes). That's with speedhacks disabled. Of course some games are just known to run like crap on any system - Soul Calibur 3 (~6fps) and Xenosaga1 for example. So yeah, the game matters alot. Wink
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Thanks for the fast replies.

I downloaded and installed the beta, fps stays at 50 most of the time now, dropping to lowest of 40 places, so far, but not often (very playable) Smile

Thanks.
Ive got the same CPU as you, but mine works with 2.6-3.9GHz~4Ghz (depends on load and profiles I use)

I can play pretty any game on fullspeed with native res. Most games I play with 2x Upscaling. On big levels, where much ram will be used it lags too much, when useing 3x-4x Upscaling, but thats a GPU-Issue.
Windows 7 Ultimate x64|Intel Core2Quad Q9550 4Ghz|6GB Kingston HyperX Memory 1066 (2x 1GB + 2x 2GB)|XFX GTX285 BE (729/1548/1404)|XFX nForce780i SLI
Yeah I really have to OC mine just haven't gotten around to it.
The emulator works fantastic now though, the game that i was struggling to get 19 fps now works on full 50 fps with the x2 cycle speed hack and mid 40's without it, don't know what's been changed in the beta but it did the trick.
Sounds to me like the old ATI slowness issue of GSdx. Between that and other speedups made to GSdx, most games saw double to quadruple FPS for ATI owners like you and me. Those changes were introduced around rev 1300 or 1400.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team