Silent Hill 2 (GH) - unstable framerate
Hey!

So, I'm having a problem with Silent Hill 2 (Greatest Hits release). For some reason, the framerate is kind of so-so as soon as the game starts, in the very first room - and it basically drops to 40-50fps when I get to the graveyard.

That's kind of weird - I think my computer is decent enough to run it smoothly. See the config for yourself :

Processor: AMD FX-6300 Six-Core Processor
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
Memory: 8.2 GB

I have no problem running a game like Persona4 at 3x resolution, so it seems weird that SH2 would pose any problem at only 2x. I've tried changing that to native, and... it actually make it worse, for some reason. That actually leads me to believe the problem isn't really performance-related.

I thought the ISO might be bad so I tried some others, including one from another region, but no luck. I also thought this might be an issue with the emulator's or a plugin's version, but it doesn't seem to be the case: Whether I use PCSX2 r5875 and gSDX 10 or anything else, the problem remains the same.

If anyone could help, that'd be great - thanks!

Sponsored links

The FX 6300 really needs an overclock to run a lot of PCSX2 games. I know, as I own one. 4.2Ghz will be good. I keep mine at 4.4
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(06-16-2014, 11:40 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: The FX 6300 really needs an overclock to run a lot of PCSX2 games. I know, as I own one. 4.2Ghz will be good. I keep mine at 4.4

Yeah, just as a note, you need a good cooler to hit those speeds. A stock cooler won't cut it. I know you have a CM Seidon 120V water cooler, Blyss.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Wow, that was quick - thanks.

I'm gonna try overclocking that processor then. I have never done it before, so if you have any tip regarding that - please tell me.

I have a three fans constantly keeping my computer almost ice-cold, so I suppose a bit of overclocking can't hurt anyway.
Are you running the stock AMD cooler or are you running an aftermarket cooler.
Well, there are three fans in total: The AMD stock fan on the processor, and two additional Zalman blue-led fans cooling the whole case.
(06-16-2014, 11:58 PM)Iwant Wrote: Well, there are three fans in total: The AMD stock fan on the processor, and two additional Zalman blue-led fans cooling the whole case.

That stock cpu cooler isn't very good though. You won't be able to hit very high clock speeds without an upgrade to something like a hyper 212 evo.
Mh, I see - I'll look into it. Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it.
I went to 4.1 on stock, just know that things that use a lot of CPU power will cause it to throttle.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
^^
Yeah you had throttling issues when doing video encoding. Your current cooler is kicking ass though. Not bad for a $50 water cooler.

Maybe someday I can throw a CM V8 GTS in my rig to make it look BA.