Silent Hill Shattered Memories: EDIT: nevermind, pretty sure it's a new bug.
(01-24-2018, 09:51 PM)CK1 Wrote: You can get a GS Dump by pressing Ctrl + F8
No need. There are issues on github with those. Wink

Sponsored links

(01-24-2018, 09:51 PM)CK1 Wrote: You can get a GS Dump by pressing Ctrl + F8

Thanks again CK1, but that was not my meaning Smile  I'm trying to get the best possible example of the glitch happening before I post. With the game being broken for this long, I don't mind putting in some time to provide as informative a report as possible before I move on to other projects.

Sadly my PCs are all well over what I need to max out performance in PCSX2. So I can only get the "too fast" version of the glitch by getting the framerate to jump above 60 for a moment at the beginning of a cutscene or animation. It's random and hard to catch, but no less annoying for it in play. What I'm doing is basically capturing at the beginning of every in-game cutscene trying to get the worst version possible. The one in the beginning of my video is almost perfect, but unfortunately I was doing my video capture separately and wasn't ready to capture before the moment passed.

You can see it clear as day though as a preview. At the beginning of that scene, the game runs too fast for a brief second when the loading completes and it makes the game go crazy. Second part is FPS limited externally, no issue.
(01-24-2018, 09:51 PM)FlatOut Wrote: No need. There are issues on github with those. Wink

Forgive me for being a bit out of the loop, haven't been active with PCSX2 for a while. By that do you mean that GS dumps are not useful to the developers? Because I can totally just post a detailed description with tons of info. Will save me a lot of effort. I'm being a little obsessive about getting the perfect break.
(01-24-2018, 10:08 PM)UnilateralOptimizer Wrote: Forgive me for being a bit out of the loop, haven't been active with PCSX2 for a while. By that do you mean that GS dumps are not useful to the developers? Because I can totally just post a detailed description with tons of info. Will save me a lot of effort. I'm being a little obsessive about getting the perfect break.
I meant this:
https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues/1945
https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues/1326
https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues/1325
https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues/1324
(01-24-2018, 10:11 PM)FlatOut Wrote: I meant this:
https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues/1945
https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues/1326
https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues/1325
https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues/1324

I see those reports, they don't seem to have attached dumps that I saw. They aren't bad reports though. Only issue I see is nobody knew how to fix it. If your meaning is that I should respond to them since I know how to solve these issues, I don't mind too much. I'm still not sure if I'm getting it though. Should I or should I not bother trying to get a GS dump while it is happening?

I have it fixed for myself, I can totally bugger off. But if anyone would like my input, I am happy to add it in the most preferred format. Or I can just go back to fixing RCPS3 issues, which is much more my jam these days.
(01-24-2018, 10:21 PM)UnilateralOptimizer Wrote: I see those reports, they don't seem to have attached dumps that I saw. They aren't bad reports though. Only issue I see is nobody knew how to fix it. If your meaning is that I should respond to them since I know how to solve these issues, I don't mind too much. I'm still not sure if I'm getting it though. Should I or should I not bother trying to get a GS dump while it is happening?

I have it fixed for myself, I can totally bugger off. But if anyone would like my input, I am happy to add it in the most preferred format. Or I can just go back to fixing RCPS3 issues, which is much more my jam these days.
If you have new information or a gsdump for an issue, it is more helpful if you can post it on github than in a thread here(where it could get lost over time). Note that gsdumps will not contain any audio information.
(01-24-2018, 07:01 PM)UnilateralOptimizer Wrote: I'll take that as a no, so I researched it. Game was broken after 1.2.1. I tested all the way back to 1.0. Still says playable in the Wiki, but was only tested by one person back in the days of SSE3. So correctly it should say "playable from .97-1.2.1 with INTC detection hack, reduced to 'in-game' after 1.2.1.

Anyone who has played since and is calling the game "playable" must not have completed it on original hardware. There are audio clips and camera suggestions that are essential to the game that will not play properly. I mean granted, you can pretty much walk through this game start to finish, but the story is most of the game. My emulation standards for playable means it includes all gameplay cues and plot-related dialogue. No content not represented.

I'm just going to go on my way and assume this community is mostly dried up. This game has been tested inside and out on Dolphin and PPSSPP, well documented and with plenty of info to be found. The fact that it went broken for 3 years on this emulator without a peep is sad. I feel bad going on a "back in my day" rant, but seriously in 2011, this topic would be full of benchmarks and output files by now.

If you're another frustrated user wondering what the heck got borked with this game, here it is. Shattered Memories and Origins get their animations messed up when the framerate goes too far above or below the standard hertz rate for your region. Although audio timestretch fixes this in almost every other game, for some reason Climax' Silent Hill games don't trigger sound files in a normal way. In older versions, running too slow was the issue for the majority of systems, so enabling INTC Spin Detection would speed up those scenes enough to mostly remove the issue.

Newer versions of PCSX2 have enough speed improvements built in that almost any modern PC will actually run the game too fast, causing the same issue again. Even though you are frame-limited at 60Hz generally, the game will internally bump up to 63 or 66fps on occasion when loading, which is enough to set the cutscene animations off. None of the normal fixes resolve it, unlike pretty much every other PS2 game now. The closest I've gotten is by artificially limiting the game to 59.5Hz (NTSC standard) and then messing around with audio sync settings until it was close enough to play most cues and dialogue. This will vary system to system unfortunately as you are trying to artificially match your system's performance to how the game wants to run. Key is to keep internal FPS as close to NTSC or PAL refresh rate at all times when playing.

Thers a hack option where u can switch FMV and cutscenes back to software mode .. try that or limit your gpu to output only 60hz with rivatuner
That has nothing to do with the issues here.
(01-24-2018, 10:46 PM)El Diablo Wrote: Thers a hack option where u can switch FMV and cutscenes back to software mode .. try that or limit your gpu to output only 60hz with rivatuner

Although the FMV cutscenes are not the issue, I am very grateful for any kind of technical, troubleshooting response. Limiting with Riva Tuner or any other third party app is in fact the solution I am using in my youtube video above. Solves the problem for my PC along with a few other tweaks.
So what I'm seeing here is that I should not bother? Basically people seem to be telling me that there is no point uploading a report here or on github, because even simple issues sit there unresolved for years and nobody seems to know how to read the dumps anyway? Like I'm trying to be positive here, but this is not reassuring. This is why I was so ticked in the first place.

So far I've received responses either treating me like a turnip farmer who has never used a PC, or linking me to examples of how this community is in fact bad at documenting bugs.