Simple PS1 mode emulation question!
I have an interesting but simple question. (and before I ask I'm quite aware and understand PS1 Mode emulation is still in early development for the PS2 emulator so i'm looking down the line in the possible far off future)
First, let me say, man it's been awhile since I've been here, just a random user so i'm no-one special that anyone would really remember but i am amazed at how far PS2 emulation has come, keep up the work fellows!!!

As I am aware the real PS2 hardware has issues with certain PS1 titles and looking into I wasn't aware that it went further to the point that certain titles didn't work properly or at all on specific revisions of the hardware.

As a first and foremost task for PS1 emulation I would imaging getting all the games that actually work on PS2 hardware to work on the emulator to be a priority. But my question looks possible at the time of this writing much further ahead!

Is there any chance once all the major work to getting ps1 titles to work on the emulator is completed. Would the team consider going a step further and perfecting or in this idea going beyond perfection of the PS2 and working out the issues with PS1 titles that never functioned correctly to begin with??? Or would there be some kind of literal limitation that would keep the team from being able to go any further then the real hardware can produce?

Sponsored links

The issue surrounding that is that you then realize that they'd be programming a literal ps1 emulator into pcsx2 instead of properly emulating the ps2 and all of it's quirks, thus the goal of ps1 mode is to emulate the ps2 not the ps1. If you want "perfect" emulation in that sense use a ps1 emulator instead like medanefen or retroarch's revision beetle psx. if there were a limitation beside the project's goals and statement of being a subsequent ps2 emu, it'd be that the ps2's bios in ps1 mode is in of itself flawed and would thus likely retain said quirks regardless.

Note that several of these game breaking glitches occur on fat ps2's the one's with ps1 hardware in them not just the emulation slim models.
(04-15-2018, 09:25 AM)Hmm I see what you are saying I just thought it was a neat idea and would understand why if it doesn\t happen or is not possible. Being the goal as you said is accurate ps2 emulation. I just thought it would be cool if it was possible to enhance and I guess in a sense 'fix' the original limitations of the ps2.And I am aware most of the glitches existed in the original ps2 systems which had hardware support. And different slim revisions introduced new issues to backwards compatibility. I tried to state that in my post but perhaps I didn't word it correctly.Anyways if it isn't meant to be it isn't meant to be I just figured a ps1/ps2 emulator that could correctly emulate both systems as good as possible would of been a cool idea. Not a coder myself but I also understand the amount of time and work that would go into something like this. Beings that I can see just how long it has taken for the crew to build up the ps2 emulator the the state it is in now I appreciate all the work everyone who has contributed into the project it truly is amazingBut if it's not a likely scenario that would happen I'm happy with the fact we even have this amazing emulator at all!weirdbeardgame Wrote: The issue surrounding that is that you then realize that they'd be programming a literal ps1 emulator into pcsx2 instead of properly emulating the ps2 and all of it's quirks, thus the goal of ps1 mode is to emulate the ps2 not the ps1. If you want "perfect" emulation in that sense use a ps1 emulator instead like medanefen or retroarch's revision beetle psx. if there were a limitation beside the project's goals and statement of being a subsequent ps2 emu, it'd be that the ps2's bios in ps1 mode is in of itself flawed and would thus likely retain said quirks regardless.

Note that several of these game breaking glitches occur on fat ps2's the one's with ps1 hardware in them not just the emulation slim models.
I too think it would be cool if, somehow, we could. Even though the project goal is technically accurate emulation, if we could find ways to correct the PS2's natural behavior that caused issues then that would be, well, pretty great. But that is probably one of the absolute last things that will happen for PSX mode so I wouldn't exactly hold your breath.