Slow game clips, game play and sound on certain games.
Hi guys, having a bit of trouble with a couple of games on pcsx2. First of all, I'm playing resident evil code veronica and it runs more or less perfect with a bit of laggy sound now and again but it's certainly playable. I've tried shadow of colossus and metal gear solid 3 but both are very laggy in game play and videos and sound as if it's in slow motion. Some parts of mgs are ok but it's hardly playable and shadow of the colossus is not possible to play. Just wondering if anyone could help with this? I'm pretty new to the emulator thing so class yourself as talking to a noob lol. My computer specs are Windows 7, 16gb RAM, FX8320 octo core overclocked to 4.2Ghz and a Geforce GTX 750 so im guessing my PC is more than suitable.

Sponsored links

Go to config-> Audio -> Plugin settings and change timestretch to async mix to fix the audio.

For Shadow of the Colossus, go to config->emulation settings-> speedhacks tab and change VU cycle stealing to 2 (remember to change it back for other games)

For MGS 3, not much you can do but OC your chip more.

You may also want to enable MTVU in the speedhacks area, as it will give you a boost in any game that's not on this list.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Really? Oc my cpu more for mgs3? So I can run far cry 4 maximum settings but I can't run a ps2 game?

I'll test the others tomorrow. I got my cpu to 4.6ghz but experienced blue screen and very hot cpu so I knocked it down a bit.
far cry 4 != ps2 emulation
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(12-17-2014, 10:47 PM)Jamieking86 Wrote: Really? Oc my cpu more for mgs3? So I can run far cry 4 maximum settings but I can't run a ps2 game?

I'll test the others tomorrow. I got my cpu to 4.6ghz but experienced blue screen and very hot cpu so I knocked it down a bit.

Don't try to OC that high if you are using the stock cooler. The stock cooler sucks(I have an FX 6300).

And as Nobbs said, PC gaming and emulation are completely different. Emulation requires far more CPU power(orders of magnitude more than the emulated console, and plus the PS2 has multiple chips (EE, GS, VU0, VU1, etc)
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
I see, we'll ive got a good cpu cooler, can't remember what model it is, but it's certainly 10x better than the stock cooler but I still don't want to Oc that high. I'll try the advice you gave me for shadow of colossus sometime today and let you know if it works or not. I would have thought resident evil code veronica would be a big game for it to handle too but it handles it pretty much perfect.
So...i did what you advised, changed VU Cycling to 2, timestretch to async mix and enabled mtvu speedhack and the sound was MUCH better on shadow of colossus, but gameplay and the opening videos still very laggy and unplayable. I've got my graphics plugin set to my GTX 750 and renderer direct3D11. Am i going wrong somewhere?
(12-18-2014, 10:05 AM)Jamieking86 Wrote: So...i did what you advised, changed VU Cycling to 2, timestretch to async mix and enabled mtvu speedhack and the sound was MUCH better on shadow of colossus, but gameplay and the opening videos still very laggy and unplayable. I've got my graphics plugin set to my GTX 750 and renderer direct3D11. Am i going wrong somewhere?

You are not going/doing wrong, just those two games are very demanding, mostly by bypassing the emulator's optimizations and so asking for insanely fast CPUs to do the job by sheer brute force.

Other than the speedhacks, mainly the EE Cycle rate and Vu Cycle stealing there is not much you can do to get the game somewhat smoother, actually I don't believe further attempts on Overclocking the CPU will give enough compensation to be advisable.

About the speed hacks, pushing them to max is not going to help also, so you are pretty much obliged to accept the compromise for those games.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Well i switched from D3D11 to D3D9 and shadow of colossus was 10x better game play wise but the graphics were still a bit dodgy to say the least. I'll just try play about with a few things and see what works best. If I can't get the bigger games going then so be it. Thank you for your help
(12-18-2014, 10:55 AM)Jamieking86 Wrote: Well i switched from D3D11 to D3D9 and shadow of colossus was 10x better game play wise but the graphics were still a bit dodgy to say the least. I'll just try play about with a few things and see what works best. If I can't get the bigger games going then so be it. Thank you for your help
10x better Laugh that's quite impossible for a video backend change.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction