Slow motion on a good computer ( GTX 670 )
For perfectly smooth edges at 1080p; use 3x scaling+8x MSAA, 4x scaling+4x MSAA, or 6x scaling+FXAA (either by activating the built-in FXAA function via PgUp or forcing it through Nvidia Control Panel).

If you're getting worse performance than you did with your 7870 using the same settings, try adding a profile for PCSX2 in the Nvidia Control Panel and setting the Power Management setting to "Prefer Maximum Performance."

Sponsored links

You do realise 4x MSAA does the same as FXAA right? Its either 4x MSAA or 8x MSAA can't remember.
I5 3570k 3.4ghz| 4GB R9 290| 8GB DDR3
(11-28-2012, 06:40 PM)devilscorner Wrote: would using ss4 make a difference?? and did you tried lowering your MSAA??? @nosisab Ken Keleh and it maybe true that emulated games needs CPU power than GPU but c'mon even though its not a K processor series his rig is already a monster
but i think it would help if he lower his internal resolution and MSAA and see if that works, but if he did that high settings with that option with the 7870 and get 60fps constant then idk what to say

Don't be so sure even the most potent CPU of today will be enough to run some combinations some games may bring to the table.

The problem is most of VU is still made on the CPU and they are all about graphics...

You really need graphics power running PCSX2 to to things "beyond" the emulation itself as internal resolution change and Antialiasing, not to forget AA is still in a sort of experimental stage in PCSX2 and is a lot more complex than doing so for one only game. The game may come with problems in the graphics before getting to the plugin and then the defects may be augmented by the post processing... or just made more evident.

PS: to make things worse, is hard to get real multithreading on PCSX2 because the way PS2 was designed and have very strict timings. One part will have to wait for something coming from another stage does not matter how powerful the CPU or GPU caring for the waiting stage is.

Edit: and when I first answered, the only information in the OP was the first screenshot and the information about the GPU which is indeed a "monster" and so, prone to make the owner to go far with taxing it, there was not the information about 16x MSAA there but the answer was already suspecting such things.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(11-29-2012, 12:43 AM)fade2black001 Wrote: You do realise 4x MSAA does the same as FXAA right? Its either 4x MSAA or 8x MSAA can't remember.
PCSX2's MSAA seems to be much better than normal MSAA, though. 4x scaling+4x MSAA in a 1080p window practically eliminates all aliasing completely, whereas the edges with 4x scaling+FXAA in a 1080p window are not quite as smooth.
Alright, Thank you for all your help. Everything is much appreciated. I will try everything that's posted here later and inform you the results.

I'll try to eliminate the MSAA and try to force it on NVIDIA panel.

I have this theory that the EMULATOR is somewhat not yet ready for Kepler cards. But i'll try to experiment a bit and tell you what happens then. Thanks again!
Just remember PS2 is based in a totally alien hardware toward PC. Besides the EE (which makes for it's CPU), GS (the Graphics Synthesizer) it has two vector unities (VU0 and VU1) which are responsible for many things related to graphics and physics, passing from polygon transformation, lighting and other things related to image and gameplay or just floating point calculation as well.

More yet, they have more than one communication method and in the mid of all that mess some games are designed to use less known "solutions" which can just confuse the emulator and so generating not perfectly conformed vectors to feed the video plugin.

On the plugin side there are problems dealing with those issues also. Ideally the plugin should never worry or be concerned with game's particularities, but even then it becomes almost impossible sometimes and we start seeing hackfixes for a bunch of games at the plugin as well.

What's to be understood from this is emulation can't be seen as native applications for PC and an emulator is not done to deal with one game but with all games for that platform ideally... what is far from trivial to accomplish.

Both the emulator and the plugins deal with consistent and known functions from DirectX API (or OpenGL depending on the plugin) to make the transformation (translation) from that alien hardware that is the console to something that PC understand. Sometimes it fails (as is common in translations) and then the development is continually improving to filter the problems and adapting to then. So, even the definition of "bug" for emulation must be differentiated, from actual bugs caused by developer's mistake or distraction to having to deal with a "novelty" from a certain game that the emulator can't deal yet.

But no, it's not that GSdx is not prepared to deal with the Nvidia Kepler architecture... it is just the video card is being too much stressed and having to deal with less than optimized input, when not just wrong input (unless is meant that "Kepler" is not prepared to deal with DirectX instructions).
Imagination is where we are truly real