"Slow motion" performance yet high framerate?
(This is my first post, I signed up like 3 minutes ago)

Anyways, I have an HP ENVY m6-1184ca laptop that should be sufficient to use PCSX2 admirably. However, performance is more than often weird.

I have two ISO files for The Italian Job (2003) and Scooby Doo! Night of 100 Frights, both of which I was able to rescue from my game discs which were too damaged to play on my PS2. They're mine and not pirated.

The Italian Job is the most of a problem. The menus and menu music is waaaaay too fast. However, gameplay is very slow motion. I don't mean laggy, like actually slow motion. The player says I have around an average of 60 frames per second however.

Scooby Doo is also odd, but isn't nearly as bad. The menus are also fast, but gameplay is okay. It's performance varies quite a bit, ranging from somewhat slow motion to somewhat fast motion.

Raw Danger! Is a game that I have a working disc for. It's the same as Scooby Doo in terms of performance, fast menus and odd game performance, except for when a major event happens in the game (such as the earthquake part or a part when some debris falls). The game is especially slow during the first part when the water is flooding the banquet hall, but once I escape the building it's a bit faster.

My system should be more than good enough, it supports all or that SSE4 stuff.

Basically, my specs are:
AMD Vision A10 2.30GHz quad core
8GB PC3-12800 (1600MHz) RAM (I can go up to 16GB, would that help?)
AMD Radeon HD 7660G (Integrated)+HD 7670M (Dedicated) graphics (Supports AMD/ATi Crossfire)
2.5GB dedicated video memory, 3.5GB shared (6GB total)
Windows 8 64 bit

I have my power settings set to high performance, I have my CCC settings set to max performance and I have Crossfire enabled. PCSX2 and all related software is set to run on the dedicated graphics processor.

I can't get my configuration settings at the moment because I'm using my iPhone to type this out (so forgive me for any spelling or grammatical errors) so I can't grab the configuration information.

Any help to make the performance as good as possible would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored links

Quote:AMD Vision A10 2.30GHz
unfortunately, 2.30 Ghz is quite low for pcsx2.
you'll have to tinker with speedhacks.
enable all the recommended ones and set both ee cyle rate & vu cycle stealing to 1.
that may help a bit.

but don't expect miracles. i don't have those games and cannot tell you if they are demanding or not, but 2.3 ghz won't be enough in most cases.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(07-24-2013, 07:13 AM)jesalvein Wrote: unfortunately, 2.30 Ghz is quite low for pcsx2.
you'll have to tinker with speedhacks.
enable all the recommended ones and set both ee cyle rate & vu cycle stealing to 1.
that may help a bit.

but don't expect miracles. i don't have those games and cannot tell you if they are demanding or not, but 2.3 ghz won't be enough in most cases.

Yeah, I was kinda worried that that might be the problem. Unfortunately, since it's a laptop (That I got quite recently) I can do nothing about it. My previous machine had a dual core AMD Athlon X2 that was 2.11GHz and I had the same problem. Luckily I was able to overclock it to 2.80GHz but I never did remember to try out PCSX2 before three capacitors blew ultimately ending it's life. Even though that was almost a year ago, I do still have the machine.

But I will try your tips, thanks.
Well, if all else fails try this.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Low-end-P...0-settings
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

(07-24-2013, 06:45 AM)LOLZpersonok Wrote: (This is my first post, I signed up like 3 minutes ago)

Anyways, I have an HP ENVY m6-1184ca laptop that should be sufficient to use PCSX2 admirably. However, performance is more than often weird.

I have two ISO files for The Italian Job (2003) and Scooby Doo! Night of 100 Frights, both of which I was able to rescue from my game discs which were too damaged to play on my PS2. They're mine and not pirated.

The Italian Job is the most of a problem. The menus and menu music is waaaaay too fast. However, gameplay is very slow motion. I don't mean laggy, like actually slow motion. The player says I have around an average of 60 frames per second however.

Scooby Doo is also odd, but isn't nearly as bad. The menus are also fast, but gameplay is okay. It's performance varies quite a bit, ranging from somewhat slow motion to somewhat fast motion.

Raw Danger! Is a game that I have a working disc for. It's the same as Scooby Doo in terms of performance, fast menus and odd game performance, except for when a major event happens in the game (such as the earthquake part or a part when some debris falls). The game is especially slow during the first part when the water is flooding the banquet hall, but once I escape the building it's a bit faster.

My system should be more than good enough, it supports all or that SSE4 stuff.

Basically, my specs are:
AMD Vision A10 2.30GHz quad core
8GB PC3-12800 (1600MHz) RAM (I can go up to 16GB, would that help?)
AMD Radeon HD 7660G (Integrated)+HD 7670M (Dedicated) graphics (Supports AMD/ATi Crossfire)
2.5GB dedicated video memory, 3.5GB shared (6GB total)
Windows 8 64 bit

I have my power settings set to high performance, I have my CCC settings set to max performance and I have Crossfire enabled. PCSX2 and all related software is set to run on the dedicated graphics processor.

I can't get my configuration settings at the moment because I'm using my iPhone to type this out (so forgive me for any spelling or grammatical errors) so I can't grab the configuration information.

Any help to make the performance as good as possible would be greatly appreciated.

AFAIK crossfire slows down emulation so could that be the problem?
System Specs
CPU:AMD FX 8350 3.5ghz turbo to 4ghz
GPU: Sapphire HD 7750 GDDR5
MOBO:Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Rev 5.0
RAM: 8GB
yeah pcsx2 can't benefit from crossfire, you should disable it and you really have a nice graphic card but a ***** processor to pair
(07-24-2013, 05:43 PM)devilscorner Wrote: yeah pcsx2 can't benefit from crossfire, you should disable it and you really have a nice graphic card but a ***** processor to pair

Huh, that's interesting, since Crossfire was either a combination of both graphics processors and/or the APU. It's really odd too since I can play GTA IV and The Sims 3 on nearly maximum graphics without issue, and games like Need for Speed Underground 2 I can play on maximum graphics settings without issue.

(07-24-2013, 02:40 PM)Black Ops Wrote: AFAIK crossfire slows down emulation so could that be the problem?

It's possible but I don't believe that's the issue (But I will try disabling Crossfire anyways) because my previous machine, an AMD Athlon X2 machine had the same issue. The specs of that machine, just in case were:

AMD Athlon X2 2.11GHz dual core
ATI Radeon HD 4670 (or something like that) with 1GB of video memory
4GB of DDR2 667MHz RAM
Windows XP Home Edition 32 bit (It originally ran Windows Vista Home Premium)
^Well PC games can't really be compared to emulation performance. Emulating the PS2 is very very resource hungry, moreso than a lot of commercial PC games.

There's not much you can do besides getting a new laptop, which I wouldn't recommend unless you just have piles of money sitting around lol. Generally if I were going to want to do mobile PCSX2, I'd look for Intel I5's and such.
(07-25-2013, 05:20 AM)NarooN Wrote: ^Well PC games can't really be compared to emulation performance. Emulating the PS2 is very very resource hungry, moreso than a lot of commercial PC games.

There's not much you can do besides getting a new laptop, which I wouldn't recommend unless you just have piles of money sitting around lol. Generally if I were going to want to do mobile PCSX2, I'd look for Intel I5's and such.

Maybe you're right. The guy above said that my processor being 2.30GHz was probably the issue. I realize that I could've bought my laptop with either a 3.2GHz Vision A10 but I didn't because I didn't know at the time. It makes me feel sad because I know now and can do nothing about it. It's a real shame, and since I don't have a job I can't save for anything newer.

If I did, I'd probably buy or build a system with at least a 3.0GHz i7. If I had the money I'd go six core.

Someone else did refer me to another thread that should solve most issues when you're below 2.6GHz but I haven't tried it yet.