Slowdown when using V-sync and OpenGL?
Photo 
Hardware: 
CPU: i5 4670k @ stock (I know, waiting on cooler) 
GPU: GTX 780
I won't worry about listing the rest, because I'm fairly certain this isn't a hardware issue.

PCSX2 version: Latest beta build v1.3.1-1585

Game: 
Presumably every game (every game tested)

GS settings:
http://puu.sh/mbC4b/53c2cecf47.png

Although, the problem occurs regardless of setting as long as the renderer is OGL, Vsync is on, and pcsx2 is in fullscreen.

Problem:
Enabling Vsync no matter if through drivers or through PCSX2 causes somewhat random slowdowns.

but strangely they don't always occur as soon as I put the game in fullscreen, for instance if I put the game in fullscreen and walk around a bit then look twards a graphically intensive area the game will start to run slowly, but if I continue looking in that direction, go into windowed mode (it goes back up to 100% in windowed mode), then go into fullscreen it will remain running at full speed for a little while, then if I walk around a bit an come back it will dip and stay low.

So given this I don't think it's a hardware issue preventing me from running at full speed with Vsync.

Additional info:
I can run with the exact same settings in DX11 mode (With vsync)  and have no problem. 100% all the time.
if I make the game windowed in OpenGL mode it runs perfectly at 100% all the time, only going into fullscreen (when vsync kicks in) do I get these performance issues.

Just wanted to make sure others are having the same issue, so I didn't put this in bugs. I will test this on some other games to see if the same happens.

yep, was able to re-produce this in Ratchet and Clank. went full screen played for about 30 sec then BOOM slowdown, went windowed and everything returned to 100%, went back into fullscreen in the same spot and it was fine for another 30 or so seconds then slowed down.
Strangely enough after some fiddling with it I've found after going fullscreen and going through an area at full speed until it starts to slowdown, I am then able to go back through that area at full speed as long as I don't look twards a new area kinda like it's "caching" the area I've just been in.

Sponsored links

Yes it's happening here too but there is something else(the pcsx2 vsync option may not even work)

Tales of the Abyss
Aero Enabled:
OGL - VSync enabled results in random speed drop(the disabled fps limit is locked to 60fps)
OGL - VSync disabled results in screen tearing only in fullscreen...no speed drop
DX11 - Vsync enabled\disabled results in constant full speed and no screen tearing(vsync is applied by the aero and the pcsx2 vsync option have no effect)...the removed fps limit is not locked to 60fps

Aero Disabled:
OGL - VSync enabled results in random speed drop and screen tearing in window mode but everything is fine in fullscreen.
OGL - VSync disabled results in screen tearing and really rare speed drop
DX11 - Vsync enabled\disabled results in constant full speed but screen tearing in both window and fullscreen mode

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I can confirm the above findings with Samurai Warriors 2 XL and Dragon Quest VIII. Identical results to vsubs.
Intel Core i7-8700k @5ghz
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @3600mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64
(12-28-2015, 11:19 PM)vsub Wrote: Yes it's happening here too but there is something else(the pcsx2 vsync option may not even work)

Tales of the Abyss
Aero Enabled:
OGL - VSync enabled results in random speed drop(the disabled fps limit is locked to 60fps)
OGL - VSync disabled results in screen tearing only in fullscreen...no speed drop
DX11 - Vsync enabled\disabled results in constant full speed and no screen tearing(vsync is applied by the aero and the pcsx2 vsync option have no effect)...the removed fps limit is not locked to 60fps

Aero Disabled:
OGL - VSync enabled results in random speed drop and screen tearing in window mode but everything is fine in fullscreen.
OGL - VSync disabled results in screen tearing and really rare speed drop
DX11 - Vsync enabled\disabled results in constant full speed but screen tearing in both window and fullscreen mode

Yep, It definitely seems to alleviate screen tearing in my case, just suffers from the frame drops, even if I force it through Nvidia control panel (and leave the option off in PCSX2)

If someone would like, they can either move this to the bug report section, or just let the proper people know so it can get looked into.
if you are on current OS Win7/8/10 there is no reason to enable vsync in pcsx2 vsync is already enabled, due to aero/desktop composition

Win8 and up it cant really be disabled,

And do to pcsx2 being windowed(fullscreen)/Windows Boarderless, as it is NOT fullscreen excuslive, seting VSYNC in NVCP will do nothing as it dont effect windowed programs.

Turn vysnc on in my experiance in pcsx2 since win7 just cause issues and more performance hit

I see no tearing in DQ8 in either DX/OPENGL either
(12-29-2015, 05:36 AM)tsunami2311 Wrote: if you are on current OS Win7/8/10 there is no reason to enable vsync in pcsx2 vsync is already enabled, due to aero/desktop composition

Win8 and up it cant really be disabled,

And do to pcsx2 being windowed(fullscreen)/Windows Boarderless, as it is NOT fullscreen  excuslive, seting VSYNC in NVCP will do nothing as it dont effect windowed programs.

Turn vysnc on in my experiance in pcsx2 since win7 just cause issues and more performance hit

I see no tearing in DQ8 in either DX/OPENGL either

How do you put PCSX2 in borderless window fullscreen? because if I double-click the window (or start in fullscreen) it is in exclusive fullscreen and does indeed have screen tearing.

I am on windows 10. Also, there is no tearing in windowed mode so i'm pretty sure fullscreen is exclusive. yep, sure it is exclusive full screen, tried to take a screenshot with puush and it came out black (as it does in such cases)
dbl clicking it put it in windows boarderless, it not exclusive, cause if it WAS there would be delay from tabing back to desktop, when it is instant the program uses windowed (fullscreen) which is windows boaderless.

Any program that uses Fullscreen exclusive will have DELAY when tabing back to desktop

PCSX2 does not have exclusive fullscreen and has not had since .98 pcsx2

it also possible nvidia screw something up in there drivers to cause tearing, they been doing that quiet often

After more testing there is indeed tearing in fullscreen (dbl click) which windowed "fullscreen/windows boarderless" In Opengl DX11 is fine, 361.43 drivers
(12-29-2015, 06:05 AM)tsunami2311 Wrote: dbl clicking it put it in windows boarderless, it not exclusive, cause if it WAS there would be delay from tabing back to desktop, when it is instant the program uses windowed (fullscreen) which is windows boaderless.

Any program that uses Fullscreen exclusive will have DELAY when tabing back to desktop

PCSX2 does not have exclusive fullscreen and has not had since .98 pcsx2

it also possible nvidia screw something up in there drivers to cause tearing, they been doing that quiet often

After more testing there is indeed tearing in fullscreen (dbl click) which windowed "fullscreen/windows boarderless" In Opengl DX11 is fine, 361.43 drivers

There is sort of a "delay" for me when going into fullscreen the entire screen turns black for a split second when tabbing in and out like it does with most fullscreen games, also prntscreen returns a black image, not an image of the game as it does with fullscreen games (borderless games will return an image of the game). If you tab to another program and have it on top of the game it is then in borderless tho cuz tearing stops but if you make it the target window again it will flash and be in exclusive mode again.

Also, if you turn V-sync off in the settings, and enable it in graphics driver software, it also applies when in full screen (and it can only apply on exclusive full screen apps)
I asked this a couple of times but I still didn't get an answer

Quote:What is the difference between pcsx2 borderless full screen and removing the window borders(and caption)and resize the window to the screen resolution by applying a style to the window
I tried this with autohotkey and there is definitely a difference(at least vsync from the pcsx2 settings is not needed)

Code:
$F11::
Keywait,F11
WinMaximize,A
WinGet,Style,Style,A
If (Style & +0xC00000)
{
WinSet,Style,-0xC00000,A
WinMove,A,,-7,-7,1934,1098
}
Else
WinSet,Style,+0xC00000,A
Return

It makes the window look like pcsx2s borderless fullscreen but with this I don't get screen tearing while in "fullscreen"(nor speed drop) compared to to double clicking on the game window after that(which enters in pcsx2s fulllscreen mode)
(12-29-2015, 08:29 AM)vsub Wrote: I asked this a couple of times but I still didn't get an answer

Code:
Keywait,F11
WinMaximize,A
WinGet,Style,Style,A
If (Style & +0xC00000)
{
WinSet,Style,-0xC00000,A
WinMove,A,,-7,-7,1934,1098
}
Else
WinSet,Style,+0xC00000,A
Return

Tried the script, it's nice but you can still see the border on the right and bottom (at least in my case) if only there were some way to remove that.

Edit: Fixed it,

Code:
Keywait,F11
WinMaximize,A
WinGet,Style,Style,A
If (Style & +0xC00000)
{
WinSet, Style, -0xC40000, A ;
WinMove, A, , 0, 0, 2560, 1440 ; // << Change last 2 integers to your resolution
return ;
}
Else
WinSet,Style,+0xC00000,A
Return

Works for me now, on windows 10

Well, this will work as a temporary solution, but I think it should still be looked into by the PCSX2 coders Tongue