Slowdowns since upgrading to Windows 7/DX10
i never had such slowdown problems in vista64 sp1, ffx is consíderably faster in dx10 mode for me and it doesn't matter if fullscreen or windowed at any size. might be a windows 7 specific problem, perhaps your graphics card doesn't like it Tongue
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403

Sponsored links

dx10 is improve performance in my case, but i never try w7 maybe its driver related issue.
If you download the PS2 bios illegally, you are breaking the law. Courts around the world have ruled that businesses and individuals can be prosecuted for illegal downloading.
[Image: makemydaynow.jpg]

FFX is of the very few cases where I get better speed in DX9, best example of this is summoning shiva where in DX9 mode fps go down to ~40 and in DX10 down to ~25 while not looking better or anything. As I said however there's very few games where this happens in my games and in the case of FFX it runs at full speed almost all the time anyway so it doesnt matter much.

Generally for most games DX10 mode is faster so I use that and only use DX9 if some game has some glitches in DX10 mode. On another note for FFX I also get better performance in a windows XP/2003 environment compared to Vista/2008 but the speed improvement on other games with DX10 is much better anyway.

In case of vista I had some bug where if the "processor scheduling" was set to programs I'd get less performance in GSdx maximized/fullscreen somehow... Didnt happen in win7 tho. And about aero maybe you should try just turning off transparency for it instead of turning it all off?

Anyhoo good luck Tongue
I give up, Windows 7 is a bust for me.

Every game I've tried runs slower. What alarms me is that when hitting the maximize button the viewing portion of the screen is MAYBE 15% larger, if even that, but the drop is performance is close to 25%. Its not only a DX10 issue either, it does it with DX9. All I can say is that I hope Microsoft fixes this by the time they officially release, I'm going to give Win7 a few more nights, then probably rolling back to Win XP.

If anyone can point me to something I havent tried, please do. In the mean time, this is what I HAVE done to try and remedy the problem.

completely disabled Windows Aero(services are not running ATM).
Tried DX9 and DX10 modes. Tried newest beta of gsdx.

I'm trying to avoid using all the speedhacks imaginable because I was running it at full speed with only X2 cycle hack, and INTC Hack previously. The newest Beta helps with more of its present speedhacks, but the performance loss at trying to resize the window counter-acts any gains to you see with those.

Also, manually resizing the window doesnt help, it seems to lose alot just by resizing a tiny bit.
In regards to your "I hope Microsoft fixes this by the time they officially release", I'm confused on what you mean? I'm running Windows 7 RC Build 7100, and don't have any issues. Also, I don't have Aero turned off. I play with DX10 Hardware using GDSX SSE41. And I'm also running the newest beta of PCSX2.

Are you using the latest Windows 7 drivers? 185.85? Also, have you tried running in fullscreen mode? (Alt + Enter)
Intel Core 2 Duo QX9750 Extreme Edition | eVGA 790i FTW | BFG GTX 280 OC 1GB | 8GB of Patriot Viper
(05-28-2009, 05:50 AM)jusefarabi Wrote: completely disabled Windows Aero(services are not running ATM).
Tried DX9 and DX10 modes. Tried newest beta of gsdx.

I'm trying to avoid using all the speedhacks imaginable because I was running it at full speed with only X2 cycle hack, and INTC Hack previously. The newest Beta helps with more of its present speedhacks, but the performance loss at trying to resize the window counter-acts any gains to you see with those.

Also, manually resizing the window doesnt help, it seems to lose alot just by resizing a tiny bit.

Tried changing the "processor scheduling" in windows advanced system settings? tried newer drivers?

As Scott says I dont get any slowdown either and I'm using Aero, I'm using windows server 2008 r2 rc but shouldnt be different in win7 rc.

Btw you say it is win7 problem but did you try it on Vista and get same results maybe?
I don't have Vista, I'm making the jump to Windows 7 from XP, i'll try out fullscreen, and processor scheduling. I'm running the latest windows 7 drivers for my mobo and GPU.

Running in full screen produces the results you would get running the game in a window without resizing. So I have no idea what is causing the slow down when the window is resized, its very strange.

the processor scheduling is set for Programs, is that right?
Also, whats your D3D Resolution set at?
Intel Core 2 Duo QX9750 Extreme Edition | eVGA 790i FTW | BFG GTX 280 OC 1GB | 8GB of Patriot Viper
Okay, thanks for everyone helping me with this, I think I'm content enough with the performance at this moment.

I gave up trying to get the official release to work like it did before I installed Windows 7, but as of now I've been able to get the beta to work. I just want to point some things out that I observed which might lead to some clues as to what is different(I swear I'm not imagining this).

The Beta emulator with the latest gsdx runs FFX at the same speed that the official 0.9.6 release runs it. Only, it does that without using the speedhacks. To clarify.

on 0.9.6: I had X2 cycle hack, and INTC SYNC hack on, and the game would run full speed except when there was a wide enough angle of the 3d scenery, and or many characters on the screen. At those points it would drop to 52-55 fps.

On BETA 1190 with gsdx 1266: It would run at that EXACT same speed without having ANY speed hacks on. Luckily, the FFX speedhack and the 1-step VU cycle stealing speedhack will literally allow the game to run at full speed, so YAY, i'm happy.

I just find it strange.

So the question I pose is this: Is it possible that the BETA speedhack settings(which are enabled/disabled) are stored in the same place that the official release settings are? The reason I ask is because I noticed that when running the beta all my speedhacks were off(I had been experimenting with it earlier). I don't know if its stored in an *.INI file or in the windows registry which is why I ask.

But its strange, no?

I'm currently running FFX(0.9.6) and in the part I'm in I'm getting about 49-52 FPS without ANY speed hacks on. and now when I enabled X2 cycle and INTC SYNC hack, i get about the same speed as I would get on the BETA without any speedhacks. and now, with ALL speedhacks on in the official release I can get full speed in the same part.

But at the same time, this is vastly different from when I was on XP in DX9 hardware, where I could get full speed in this part with only the X2 cycle, and INTC SYNC hack.

All that being said though, I'm happy with the performance of the BETA and latest gsdx, so I'm not complaining, I just wish I knew what heck changed from when I was on XP.

Edit: Scott, my D3D resolution is set at the default 1024x1024. I've tried lowering to as low as the native resolution, but have only seen performance gains of about 1-2 FPS. The difference in performance between native and 1024x1024 is about 3-4 FPS, not a whole lot.

Edit 2: Shawdow Lady, I notice about a drop of 1 FPS when putting it to background services. So I set it back to programs.

Edit 3: Scott, I've tried raising the d3d resolution to as high as 2048x2048 and have noticed no hit to the performance, no gain no drop.
(05-28-2009, 07:01 AM)jusefarabi Wrote: the processor scheduling is set for Programs, is that right?

Just change it and apply, if it doesnt change a thing just set it back at what it was. You dont need to restart to see it working even tho it says different just change it, apply, try the emu and if nothing change it just change it back.