Slowdowns since upgrading to Windows 7/DX10
Hello everyone. I've been playing the NTSC version of FFX lately, but last night I just upgraded to Windows 7.

The idea was to take advantage of my DX10 GPU to get those performance increases I read about on the forums. Unfortunately I've noticed a considerable drop in performance.

My specs:
[email protected], 2GB DDR-800, 8800GTX.
PCSX2 0.9.6

Running gsdx 890 0.1.14, with default settings DX10 Hardware.

I am able to achieve full speed whilst running all the speed hacks. Which is why I'm not overly disappointed at the moment.

BUT, prior to this while running on XP using DX9 hardware on gsdx, I had only X2 cycle hack, and the INT SYNC hack on, and was at full speed. If I try to run with just those now, the intro part will dip into 45-50 range where it was once a solid 60.

All my drivers are up to date and there is nothing I can think of that could impact the performance, EXCEPT, my Ram. I know Windows 7 eats up more ram than my XP Os did, but I'm not sure if that would warrant such performance drops.

If anyone has any clues on how I should approach this, then I'd appreciate it. I was hoping that I could use LESS speed hacks with Windows 7 and DX10.

Sponsored links

Try use the Gsdx 0.1.15 latest rev. Update your direct X and graphic driver (this probability will help).
Downlaod the latest Beta because the new Stealing Hack will boost more FPS.

I hope this will help you.
HappyTongueCSX2:Happy
As nelsonz mentioned, the slowdown is probably caused because of outdated directx,use the directx web updater to update it to the latest
Ram should make 0 difference unless you are using all 2gb of them,which is fairly hard and you would notice your system crawl if that was the case Tongue
[Image: newsig.jpg]
dx10 boost depends on the game, might be faster or/and less graphic glitches, some speed hacks don't go well with others and some speed hacks make some games slower, check power schemes that might slowdown, disable aero if you haven't yet, ram doesn't matter as long it is enough, now most speed hacks doesn't make glitches to games, someone said that dx10 gets better fps than dx9 on with higher internal res on FFX, just slowly test every combination of speed hacks.
C2D E6550 @ 2333 Mhz oc 3010 Mhz vcore 1.2750v | HD2600XT | P5KC | 1 + 1 GB G.Skill 6400HK 860 4.4.3.5
Thanks guys for the info. I'll try disabling aero(aww, everything is sparkling, and fabulous).
I had already updated my DX with the web updater, so that couldnt have been the issue, my video card drivers were also up to date.

I guess I will try the new beta and the new plug in. Thanks again.
have you defragged and run disc checks after upgrading? the system has a big tendancy to fragment up when it is freshly installed
I believe I have found the main noticeable difference, and the cause of my slowdowns. Bare with me on this one because it's probably obvious that it WOULD cause slow downs.

BUT.

Before upgrading to DX10 and Windows 7, I would run with with the latest official release of PCSX2, in DX9 hardware mode, 1024 internal res, etc.

I start it off windowed obviously, but I almost always press the maximize button on the window so that it fills most of the screen so I have a larger viewing area. Before when I was still on XP, I could do this with little to no impact on game performance.

Now without any hacks running the game will go from 60 fps(default window size), to 35-40 fps once maximized. The aspect ratio is 4:3. Playing without maximizing wont be a big loss for me, but this is apparently what is robbing the performance. And I'm positive that I was able to maximize that like on XP with little or no performance impact.

Is this purely a DX10 issue, or something to do with Windows 7.

Also, I haven't defragged, but usually the hard drives stay relatively empty, utilizing maybe 30% of max capacity at any given time.

So can anyone offer some insight into this difference?
i think i saw a problem like that in a threads, if i am not mistaken aero was active when pcsx2 was on fullscreen even when the options was off. Try search the forum for a threads about that problem.
C2D E6550 @ 2333 Mhz oc 3010 Mhz vcore 1.2750v | HD2600XT | P5KC | 1 + 1 GB G.Skill 6400HK 860 4.4.3.5
(05-27-2009, 11:45 PM)jusefarabi Wrote: I believe I have found the main noticeable difference, and the cause of my slowdowns. Bare with me on this one because it's probably obvious that it WOULD cause slow downs.

BUT.

Before upgrading to DX10 and Windows 7, I would run with with the latest official release of PCSX2, in DX9 hardware mode, 1024 internal res, etc.

I start it off windowed obviously, but I almost always press the maximize button on the window so that it fills most of the screen so I have a larger viewing area. Before when I was still on XP, I could do this with little to no impact on game performance.

Now without any hacks running the game will go from 60 fps(default window size), to 35-40 fps once maximized. The aspect ratio is 4:3. Playing without maximizing wont be a big loss for me, but this is apparently what is robbing the performance. And I'm positive that I was able to maximize that like on XP with little or no performance impact.

Is this purely a DX10 issue, or something to do with Windows 7.

Also, I haven't defragged, but usually the hard drives stay relatively empty, utilizing maybe 30% of max capacity at any given time.

So can anyone offer some insight into this difference?

Happens with Vista and Win 7 when aero is on,so i guess it has something to do with windows not detecting pcsx2 as a dx using application and not disabling aero automatically.
Workaround: stretch manually the window to almost full screen,no performance hit then Wink
And Saiki,defragmenting has little to NO performance hit no matter how badly your HD is fragmented,since all PCSX2 does with your hard drive is read a few sectors from a single ISO file,so please stop suggesting that.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(05-28-2009, 01:11 AM)Bositman Wrote: And Saiki,defragmenting has little to NO performance hit no matter how badly your HD is fragmented,since all PCSX2 does with your hard drive is read a few sectors from a single ISO file,so please stop suggesting that.

maybe defrag don't but disc check sure does.. just recommended to run a defrag before disc check

I only spek for what I have noticed on my own pc, so if it works for someone I'll always suggest it. I got noticeable jumps in speed after checks and defrag.